Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:31 pm 

Hi, I am looking for something for my elderly mother that will allow her to play the Little house on the prairie seasons, I have put to a usb memory stick That is cheap. Her tv has a place to plug the usb stick into but the tv itself has no way to view and play the little house on the prairie episodes or what ever I may put on the usb stick for her. It doesn't need to do anything ,but allow us to be able to play the little house on the prairie episodes on the tv. Nothing more, nothing less. Is there anything out there like that .That will allow this. The whole memory stick isn't more than $25.00 ,so I don't want anything expensive,Just whatever it takes to get the usb files watched on her tv Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:06 pm 

Without knowing the make and model of your mothers TV it will be difficult to recommend anything. The USB port on the TV might be for diagnostics or updating firmware and not for streaming media

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:57 pm 

look at cheap dvd or blue ray players with a usb input. If connected through HDMI then the tv may automatically turn on and go to the proper input when the player is engaged.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm 

+1 buy a use bluray with usb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:46 pm 

the 2 above suggestions would be best . i have a used pioneer dvd player with usb input for when i need it , connect via rca wires to tv .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 pm 

most of the digital to analog converter boxes for antenna TV contain a USB port to use either as a PVR or to play what is on a USB stick.these boxes can be had at any of the electronics outlets or even Walmart.i purchased my newest box at Walmart and if i'm not wrong it was $65 plus HST.even comes with the cabling to hook it up to the TV.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:10 pm 

You may not need to buy anything. Most TVs with a USB port can play files on an attached USB stick, but it may not be obvious how to access them. (If the remote has a "Media.P" button, that's likely it.) If you provide the make and model of the TV it will be a lot easier to provide help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:32 am 

Hi, Thanks for everyone chiming in. After taking a closer look through her tv manual after she was able to find it. I was able to find a setting on it that will allow me to play the files. I also didn't know that they sold dvd players with a usb port on them. Ii will also look into that. Thanks for all your help,and enjoy your day.