Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:22 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

So first off I'd like to apologize for the informality of this post as we haven't given it much thought and its more of an impulsive post than something which has been thought through..

Anyway I'll get to the point. We are planing on hosting a series of seminars for the audio enthusiast or anyone interested in audio and even video. The question/s to the consumer is what would you (as the consumer) be most interested in when coming to a seminar? Would it be more for education, listening experience, meeting new people with the same interest, or just check things out?

I guess the next question is, what type of seminar would most interest you the most? Would it be Digital audio, Turntables, Speakers, Analog, or just a general discussion or rant about audio?

Really just looking for feedback here. Obviously there are no correct or incorrect answers but really curious about what the consumer is looking for. Keep in mind the seminars won't be based on a sales event. Of course we want to see stuff but ultimately the seminars are intended specifically for fun and education and hope sales will come later on.

So please feel free to post your thoughts. Good or bad, I think we want to hear everything you have to say as long as its within reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 am 
Premium User

A blind cable, source, amp or speaker test event would be good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:20 am 

Quote:
I guess the next question is, what type of seminar would most interest you the most? Would it be Digital audio, Turntables, Speakers, Analog, or just a general discussion or rant about audio?

In all honesty, I love it when dealers can deliver truly good sound, even if it is more expensive than I can afford. I'd attend a seminar where the presenter says "This is my killer system" and then delivers. No excuses.

Once the system is presented, the dealer would then go into the details as to how they were able to accomplish the result. This system out of necessity would have to be specifically designed for a given type of music. Preferably classical.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 am 

I used to bring in guest speakers and we always had a full house with interested people . Information sessions with people from inside the industry always seem to get peoples' attention.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:51 am 

sevan7 wrote:
Anyway I'll get to the point. We are planing on hosting a series of seminars for the audio enthusiast or anyone interested in audio and even video. The question/s to the consumer is what would you (as the consumer) be most interested in when coming to a seminar? Would it be more for education, listening experience, meeting new people with the same interest, or just check things out?

All of the above. Not so much for Digital, unless it's something ground-breaking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:56 am 

Hi,

Here is a short list based on many CAM user questions (and answers) over the past three years. These can be covered without reference to this or that company's specific components, although demonstrations would likely include specific products chosen for illustration.

1) Setting up a first go 'simple' digital streaming system.

2) Expanding the above to a more complicated set-up.

3) The ABCs of cartridge and turntable set-up.

4) Blind comparisons of speakers and amplifiers.

5) Optimizing the stereo effect and taming room effects when tuning a home system.

6) Class D and hybrids - what's up?

7) Wattage versus decibels - what's the equation, really!

There are others.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 am 

Hard to do demonstrations or offer instructions when you have 75 people show up .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:09 am 

Will there be beer?

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:15 pm 

del Sol wrote:
Will there be beer?

Cheers, del Sol

Beat me to it!
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:38 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Before you put on any kind of seminar, have a meet and greet, get to know us, wine & cheese, make some new friends kind of an evening. No obligations, no promises, no hidden agenda. I have been in this business going on 50 years and I talk to your potential customers every day on the phone. They are terrified of you (not you personally, physical retail), and I don't know why. They buy cars, furniture, insurance, real estate, and other higher dollar items every day with very little fear and loathing, but technology (new or old) confuses and scares them. Make friends with them and cultivate their business. Ask them face to face what they would like to see from you (as opposed to a bunch of strangers in cyber space on an internet forum who live outside your market area). I know your store from when I lived on Toronto many years ago so you are obviously doing something right to stay in business all these years, however, there was no internet back then and everything was bought from B&M stores. Today you need to get them into your store and make friends with them in order to get to know better their expectations and desires. This is the esscence of marketing. That's what I would do anyway, just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:56 pm 

What about a series of seminars that start from beginner set up, getting started and moving towards more advanced topics or specifics; digital set-up, turntable build, speaker build... etc.... this might control the number of people that show up as well....
just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:04 pm 

Analog vs digital demo

Old vinyl vs new vinyl and explanation of weights etc

2 channel digital vs surround sound demo

Dvd-audio vs sacd vs blu-ray audio

NAS set-up and explanation of streaming, ripping formats, downloads etc

Surround sound calibration\ television calibration, smart tvs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:28 pm 

To add credibility to any seminar, you need guest speakers from the industry.Othewise it is just a sales ploy (which it is anyways but the guest idea disguises it).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:21 pm 

sevan7 wrote:
So first off I'd like to apologize for the informality of this post as we haven't given it much thought and its more of an impulsive post than something which has been thought through..

Really just looking for feedback here. Obviously there are no correct or incorrect answers but really curious about what the consumer is looking for. Keep in mind the seminars won't be based on a sales event. Of course we want to see stuff but ultimately the seminars are intended specifically for fun and education and hope sales will come later on.

So please feel free to post your thoughts. Good or bad, I think we want to hear everything you have to say as long as its within reason.

Double blind test of power, speaker and interconnects cables. That should drop your profits 20% or so, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:21 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for responding and your input. Although there are a lot of different views here there seems to be a fundamental need for trust and education... or perhaps a positive experience is a better term.

I do agree with the thought of getting to know your customers and also customers getting to know the retailer. I do see it when the consumer walks into our store or any store for that matter. They tend to be overwhelmed with info and product, or its the other way around and they don't want to hear what you say because they know everything already, but yet they are in the store seeking.

Also its hard to relate the audio industry to any industry that has established brands such as automobiles. We all know what category Honda is or BMW and Maserati but its not really like that with audio and there is a plethora of products to choose from at each level. Lets face it, if you want to purchase an amplifier of BMW quality per say, the list could be a mille long. so yes you're correct "europroducts". Customers become concerned about their decisions and trust because of so many products and so many opinions. Not only at the retailer level but also on the forums and reviews.

Perhaps just a good experience is in play here. You know, keep it simple but impress and be honest.

I do like the blind listening tests as I've done them many times before but its usually for the more educated client. Also you run the risk of embarrassing customers at times. I've been in a few situations where the customer was a die hard fan of a given brand and after the test they found that they rated that product dead last. This was after they praised that product so highly. I know for certain one customer left the store quietly from embarrassment and I don't think he ever came back. Regardless I'll probably keep doing them in the right environment.

I also like the Digital vs Vinyl. We've turned some heads before and surprised some die hard analog guys. I'd say 95% of us don't do digital properly. We buy a DAC, some software and off we go but there is so much more to it. I like to do this demo as I've been doing digital audio on the pro side for almost 25 years now and have learned a thing or two. Anyway thats a different post all together.

I'm really happy with the feedback, just the fact that you guys are responding is great so please keep it coming. I'm sure we'll eventually figure out and choose our direction with the seminars with your help!

-- 09 Jul 2017 23:23 --

Oh and sorry, I forgot to add.... yes there will most likely be beer available.... assuming I don't get to it first!