Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Usa shipping
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:39 pm 

Hi,

Someone from the usa is interested in an amp I am selling. Has anybody ever shipped to the USA?
How does borders and customs fees work? Is there a lot of paperwork?

Thank you for your help!
Mathieu

Post subject: Re: Usa shipping
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:46 pm 

Superroyer wrote:
Someone from the usa is interested in an amp I am selling. Has anybody ever shipped to the USA?
How does borders and customs fees work? Is there a lot of paperwork?

The amount of paperwork depends on which company you're shipping with. Basically, you need to fill out what it is, how much it's worth, etc.

Under ALL circumstances, you should leave the importation fees/duties/taxes whatever to the buyer and make that clear to them at the time of purchase. Do not assume these costs! This is a line item on the forms you'll fill out with the shipper.

It's really not difficult at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:14 pm 

selling and shipping to someone in the us
a recent forum extensively covering this subject.
my two sense is seller beware ....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

It depends

If item weights 66lbs or less it can be shipped Canada Post. There is one form to fill out at the post office. If you chose PayPal shipping you pay PayPal and print the form at home and just drop off item at post office, Done.

If using UPS, buyer WILL be charged brokerage because UPS had their own brokerage division. Buyer will likely be angry about this and blame you because it has to be someone's fault....

Fed x is fine if declared value is $800.00 or less. If higher buyer has to put up a personal bond or pay a third party brokerage to clear the shipment out of New York State.

The upside is all my experiences with USA Audio members have been positive.
A lot of good people in this hobby/addiction south of the border.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 pm 

I *think* no brokerage also with UPS if <$800 US is on the declaration.
Based on my experience....I've been wrong before.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 am 

Using Canada post you may save money to the buyer by he not having to pay brokers fees.
If sent usng one of the other couriers he may incure brokers fees as well as duties etc.
Have all transactions in E mails...make sure he pays enough shipping for tracking and insurance .
All monies paid up front via paypal..EMT...certified cheque.
Make sure its properly packaged even if you have to go out and buy a double walled china box ..bubble wrap .
All shipping quotes can be calculate using the shipper web site. Its only an estimate when sent to buyer..Imform him if he paid too much a balance will be returned.
good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 am 

alboettcher wrote:

As far as I know, you can't do EMT between the US and Canadian banks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:54 am 

as discussed earlier, hopefully some good info.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45749&hilit=shipping

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41457&hilit=shipping

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38272&hilit=shipping

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35047&hilit=shipping

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:33 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
alboettcher wrote:

As far as I know, you can't do EMT between the US and Canadian banks.

don't take a cheque from a US Bank - not even a certified cheque. Avoid Money orders or bank drafts. The US Banking system is not as integrated as Canada' - there is not a central clearing house for example. Cheques can take months to clear and longer to bounce back if there is a problem. There is much more fraud risk associated with MOs and bank drafts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:42 am 

weisbe wrote:
I *think* no brokerage also with UPS if <$800 US is on the declaration.
Based on my experience....I've been wrong before.

You are indeed incorrect. Duties and UPS brokerage fees will apply regardless of sale amount. As well, depending on the state, sales taxes may also apply. The average american buyer has no idea that these charges can apply and they may be very upset. Under no circumstances would I suggest you attempt to accept responsibility for these charges. Depending on applicable tarriff, you MAY be exempt from duties...if the item is over 25 years old and declared as such. I would advise the purchaser to investigate him/herself, and that THEY are responsible for these charges.

UPS are one of the most expensive brokers in the business. I will not use them for anything...my butt hurts too much afterwards! :? If you need a courier, look into Fedex international economy; the brokerage fees are included. Be sure and insure the heck out of the shipment and I recommend packing in at least 3 inches of styrofoam and taped securely before packing it in a box. As well, be sure and label
the package accurately; this may preclude a customs inspection. As well, lying on a customs document may result in your getting the "rubber glove" whenever you cross the border if you get caught....it is NOT worth lying.

I own an import/export business and have seen it all.

Best, T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 pm 

UPS's own website on brokerage fees contradicts your assertions....according to them, $800US value and less is sans brokerage...
perhaps I'm misreading?

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipp ... /fees.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:40 pm 

I can say that I use Canada Post almost exclusively, no fees and never had a problem as long as they don't drop your parcel! Greyhound also ships things and I've used them without incident as well. I will not use UPS due to their brokerage fees, like 30-40%? Also interesting is EBAY's Global Shipping Program, everything goes to a central location in Kentucky, then up to Ontario if it's sent to Canada. So, if I want something from California, it goes east to Kentucky, north to Ontario and then a few thousand kilometers back to me in BC, when it could have gone straight to me. I think Canada and the US have been mailing each other for a couple of centuries, I'd trust them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:04 pm 

weisbe wrote:
UPS's own website on brokerage fees contradicts your assertions....according to them, $800US value and less is sans brokerage...
perhaps I'm misreading?

UPS "Premium" services include brokerage at no extra charge. Please read the website again....regular UPS services still charge a brokerage fee. The devil is in their details. So the hot ticket, if you were to ship UPS, is to pay for 3-day select or better and the brokerage is included. Same deal if you use Fedex International Economy; the brokerage is included. Regular UPS shipping takes about a week to 10 days and, while significantly less for the shipping, they do charge an additional fee.

Last edited by brownslane on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:15 pm 
Premium User

brownslane wrote:
weisbe wrote:
perhaps I'm misreading?

UPS "Premium" services include brokerage at no extra charge. Please read the website again....regular UPS services still charge a brokerage fee. The devil is in their details. So the hot ticket, if you were to ship UPS, is to pay for 3-day select or better and the brokerage is included. Same deal if you use Fedex International Economy; the brokerage is included. Regular UPS shipping takes about a week to 10 days and, while significantly less for the shipping, they do charge an additional fee. If you don't believe me, give em a call

What am I misreading here?

Attachment:
UPS.png
UPS.png [ 171.37 KiB | Viewed 1351 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:41 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
brownslane wrote:
weisbe wrote:
perhaps I'm misreading?

UPS "Premium" services include brokerage at no extra charge. Please read the website again....regular UPS services still charge a brokerage fee. The devil is in their details. So the hot ticket, if you were to ship UPS, is to pay for 3-day select or better and the brokerage is included. Same deal if you use Fedex International Economy; the brokerage is included. Regular UPS shipping takes about a week to 10 days and, while significantly less for the shipping, they do charge an additional fee. If you don't believe me, give em a call

What am I misreading here?

Attachment:
UPS.png

If you read the asterisked entry, it would appear that regular service from Canada is not covered. Note they indicate that regular service from Mexico is eligible for no charge, and mention every other service option from Canada except regular is no fees, but regular shipping from Canada is not mentioned. I infer that they charge brokerage on regular shipping from Canada; you can infer what you like based on your interpretation.

I see this UPS chart as misleading and inconsistent. I agree that the main body of the chart seems to indicate no fees...then I look at the codicil and see that regular shipping from Canada is specifically not mentioned... they certainly used to charge us whenever we shipped LVS (Low value shipments) into the States.

Folks, use whomever you wish for shipping. I don't have a dog in this fight. Peace.

Last edited by brownslane on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.