Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:11 am 

As stated earlier, if the 'dealer' can come up with a proper bill of sale from an actual authorized dealer, then sure, why not?
I have to wonder why Bryston would go to the trouble of posting Unauthorized Dealers on their sight, unless those dealers have given them trouble by letting their customers believe that they're authorized dealers or something...if that's the case, then I'd stay away because that would imply at least some kind of shady behaviour from the dealer..
Just my 2 cents :)
B
p.s. - there are better products out there, cheaper than Bryston...why bother?!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:14 am 
Premium User

CAM does not police or investigate everyone who claims to be a "Dealer", but under the legal definition of the term, "Dealer" designates anyone who buys and sells using a government assigned tax number; you know, to collect and remit sales tax to the government. Manufacturers and distributors can only legally sell to "Dealers" who can supply a valid sales tax certificate. This means that any legitimate dealer must issue a sales invoice with this government tax number on it to be able to collect sales tax.

Now, if someone who operates under the table / black market decides to buy a "Dealer" status for $100 and advertise on CAM without collecting tax or fraudulently collecting sales tax that is not remitted to the government, they are dumber than a doornail IMHO. The vast majority of "Dealers" these days no longer operate from storefronts or street adresses, unlike only 5 years ago, in order to reduce overhead and to meet the pricing needs of an increasingly stingy/price conscious clientele.

I find it amusing that so many people complain that prices are too high at B&M locations which forces them to reduce costs, eventually driving all but the most hardy out of business, then loudly complain that there are no more B&M locations left. And they are also still highly suspicious of anyone operating out of their home. Business models have evolved and changed over the years, client's buying habits too.

You can't have it both ways when you think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:22 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:
This guy's selling apparently 'used' Bryston gear? If it's new, how's he getting it, and if he's getting it why f7ck with the customer?? Bryston's warranty is supposed to be good unless somebody else futzed with it. So why 'unauthorize' your warranty. If he's just pretending to be a Bryston dealer, sic your lawyers on him, don't f7ck with your customers.

Could be getting new gear from other dealers. Could be bringing it in from the States. Could even be buying overstock, refurb, damaged boxes, etc from Bryston. Many ways to find new equipment at a lower price.

Or audiogon, AK, etc...
might explain why certain pieces include a receipt from an authorized dealer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:27 am 
Premium User

mantisory wrote:
p.s. - there are better products out there, cheaper than Bryston...why bother?!?

...but none that match a 20 year warranty...!!! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 am 

mantisory wrote:

That's a matter of opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:01 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Sure does have a LOT of, and some very expensive, Bryston gear...if he isn't getting it from Bryston...where is he getting it from?

+1 ..... Nailed it.

Two issues ....

Is it quality BRYSTON new or used? If it's advertised as "new" but an unauthorized "dealer" is now flogging it, it's either a disenfranchised past dealer (BRYSTON will confirm) at best flogging His old stock OR was it sourced from super risky gray market gear (especially from the Orient or like) that I would not touch with a barge pole under any circumstances. The most common type of gray market is the sale, --by individuals or small companies -- not authorised by the manufacturer, of imported goods which would otherwise be either more expensive or unavailable in the country to which they are being imported.

BRYSTON will confirm serial numbers .....fine.... But Again if it's questionable source gear being now dumped here, the risks are exponential intuitively. There are shops that do voltage conversions so you have no guarantee from where such kit can turn up. Some are alleged dealer demos that in fact were units they bought from a sales person working at a dealer (who obviously got an accomodation sale).

In either case the platinum BRYSTON warranty is gonzo with
(A) any questionable provenance for questionable history on used gear , or
(B) alternatively bought as advertised "new" from an unauthorized dealer and/or grey market gear.
that comprises the lions share of the value (and price ) of the kit.

If it's bona fide used kit with bona fide proof of purchase and registration, or it is new kit that was properly purchased from an authorized dealer initially and then properly registered, the warranty is apparently assignable with proof of purchase and ONLY valid in the country of original purchase unless otherwise approved directly by BRYSTON.

Your takeaway

Good luck trying to sell it later ....full stop.
And good luck on trying to fix it if required. BRYSTON and their dealers can refuse to do repairs or supply parts to third parties on unauthorized gear as part of their dealer protection plan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
mantisory wrote:

...but none that match a 20 year warranty...!!! 8)

I don't think it is worth putting much value in the 20 year warranty. My Classe Audio amps are over 20 years. Even my cd player is older than 20 years. Never a single issue. I have a Realistic receiver that has been in the family since the late 70's I believe, not a single repair.
So is it nice to have a 20 year warranty; sure. Is it needed; not really.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:22 am 

When you go to the Bryston webpage it is very clear that they will have nothing to do with the products purchased from this "dealer". Its couldn't be more black and white. In fact, it is written in black and white!!!! Why would anyone in their right mind purchase anything from this dealer? :? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:29 am 

Bought either used or new from a dealer or as a private sale, Bryston is quite clear on what is or is not eligible for warranty.
If it was built after 2006-02-22, an original receipt for the new purchase must accompany the unit. The warranty will only be valid in the country of the original purchase. This is the salient point.

Any Bryston product bought new will have come from an authorized dealer. Bryston is not going to ship brand new gear to anyone who is not authorized by them now are they?

A buyer would be wise to check the serial number with Bryston before they make a purchase if they want to ensure continuing coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:39 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:
This guy's selling apparently 'used' Bryston gear? If it's new, how's he getting it, and if he's getting it why f7ck with the customer?? Bryston's warranty is supposed to be good unless somebody else futzed with it. So why 'unauthorize' your warranty. If he's just pretending to be a Bryston dealer, sic your lawyers on him, don't f7ck with your customers.

Could be getting new gear from other dealers. Could be bringing it in from the States. Could even be buying overstock, refurb, damaged boxes, etc from Bryston. Many ways to find new equipment at a lower price.

The source then is Bryston's problem and they're shooting the messenger and customer...

Quote from ad: "Also comes with a receipt for the warranty. Unit is still under warranty." James - you and/or your friend might investigate and report back.?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 am 

It should be noted that for the warranty to be valid, the dealer "at time of purchase" must have been an authorized Bryston dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 am 

The blanket Bryston Warranty is no more ... now it been worked over but the lawyers, got all the if-s and-s and but-s.

They've been moving this way for a while, natural result of getting bigger ... and anyway isn't it high time for the principals to be preparing for their capital event?

The way it is, now more than willing to pepper their copy with the typical audiophile speak, e.g. featuring patented circuitry developed in conjunction with Dr. Alexandru Salomie, move the listener ever so close to the music with such visceral realism, the experience is most comparable to live performance. Owwww ... I'm get'in goosebumps.

And it works! Sort of reminds me of a fellow recently slapped down for an off-putting comment about Diana Krall that would have been so cliche a decade ago.

Times change.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:01 am 
Premium User

Che Cavolo wrote:
James - you and/or your friend might investigate and report back.?

I just spoke with Bryston. If the receipt comes from an authorized dealer and not from the seller directly the warranty will be honored. I guess in this case all my friend will have to do is confirm the receipt is from a legit store. He wants 28BSST2's to go with a new B&W purchase, in this case he should probably be good to buy them.

[Edited by Moderator: Seller's name removed]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 pm 

I think it's a good idea to send a copy of original invoice thru email and then verify with the dealer to see if the transaction actually took place. If the seller refused, then move on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:40 pm 

James_W wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:
James - you and/or your friend might investigate and report back.?

I just spoke with Bryston. If the receipt comes from an authorized dealer and not the seller directly the warranty will be honored. I guess in this case all my friend will have to do is confirm the receipt is from a legit store. He wants 28BSST2's to go with a new B&W purchase, in this case he should probably be good to buy them.

Very good you cleared that up. It seems there's a lot of this going on. There is/was a nice fella who moved a lot of pair of dimes here. The dealer gets a lot of product quota and can't sell on the net. The outlet get gets a nice little gig and sells the stuff at way good prices calling it lightly used. Everybody wins.

1/3 of list would be an awesome way to buy a 'slightly used' 2017 911S.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next