Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:37 pm 
Premium User

I have a friend in Edmonton that wants to buy a piece from a big Bryston seller on CAM. The problem is the seller is listed on the Bryston site as an unauthorized dealer. With that said the price is right in his budget.

http://bryston.com/pages/dealers_unauthorized.html

Would you buy from a known unauthorized Bryston dealer? Is it working taking the chance with possible future warranty issues? I know what it's like to try and save a buck building a system.

Please forgive the messed up subject title (auto correct issue)

Last edited by James_W on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:43 pm 

The dealer I have purchased Bryston gear from does not appear on either list. I never had any issues. However, seeing that Bryston has singled out specific dealers there must be a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:44 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

It really boils down to what your friend's priorities are.
Save some money now with the possibility of spending said savings on repairs down the road, or support a dealer that has a good relationship with the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:58 pm 
Premium User

IIRC, Bryston (and most other manufacturers that are only sold the Authorized Dealers) will outright refuse to honor the warranty on products bought from unauthorized dealers. If your friend cannot afford a new Bryston, then maybe he should look at buying a lightly used one from seller that has bought it through an Authorized Dealer and has the original bill of sale to transfer the remainder of the warranty. Better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:02 pm 

Is the dealer an authorized Bryston seller or not ... why not just ask?

Last edited by b3733366 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:15 pm 
Premium User

b3733366 wrote:

Huh? I already stated they are not an authorized Bryston dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:16 pm 

James_W wrote:
b3733366 wrote:

Huh? I already stated they are not an authorized Bryston dealer.

New, used, consignment, S/N's scraped off? ... Saving $5k-10k on expensive mono-blocks, or a few $100?

Your post has the finality of the opening line of a novel ... a few facts and straight talk would be helpful.

Last edited by b3733366 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm 
Premium User

Sorry I deleted the entire OP trying to quote where i state the seller is a known unauthorized Bryston dealer. I did a best effort to retype it.

The entire question in the thread is asking if you would buy from a known unauthorized Bryston dealer. That's the only question being asked here, nothing else to be added or pondered. The others responding to the post seemed to have figured it out. Do you have anything useful to provide to the thread? the question is pretty simple.

Last edited by James_W on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:28 pm 

James_W wrote:
Sorry I deleted the entire OP trying to quote where i state the seller is a known unauthorized Bryston dealer.

The entire question in the thread is asking if you would buy from a known unauthorized Bryston dealer. The others responding to the post seemed to have figured it out.

Call me slow ...

But, curious, who's the dealer ... it's a reputable CAM dealer after all, I'm sure CAM don't do business with crooks. That would help wouldn't it ... people with direct experience could inform if likely a safe harbor, or ... well ... ya know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 pm 

Part of Bryston's rep is their very long warranty period, and that is built into the price I'm sure. If the buyer wants to forego the 20-year warranty, buy from thy guy in the white van.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:31 pm 
Premium User

I've been in crap before calling out CAM members so I'll refrain and follow the rules. If you look at the buyers location and the list of unauthorized dealers it's easy to spot. He works in a very grey zone to say the least as his pieces are used but I wonder what happens when the piece ends up at Bryston for service.

Last edited by James_W on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:33 pm 

Can I play? http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprof ... r_id=40631

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:34 pm 

stickers11 wrote:
Part of Bryston's rep is their very long warranty period, and that is built into the price I'm sure. If the buyer wants to forego the 20-year warranty, buy from thy guy in the white van.

Ya, be a man an decide what ya wanna do, like if want to say something ... say it!

As is I now can't help now but be suspicious of all CAM dealers that are unauthorized to sell Bryston ...although to be honest selling or not selling Bryston is generally not the deciding factor for me .... full disclosure an' all that.

-- 01 Aug 2016 22:36 --

stickers11 wrote:

There ya go ... all cleared up ... how hard was that ... be a Man. :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:37 pm 

My question would be where how the seller sourcing mint Bryston gear and still turning a profit? If not an authorized dealer he's paying close to retail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:42 pm 
Premium User

Be a man? now THAT is funny. I'll need to gauge my manhood on thread responses in the future and not by my actions off the net. Until then I'll keep it reserved for in person conversations.

There is probably more to the dealer in the background but as I stated before this is not to call anyone out. The original and still relevant question is would you buy something from a known unauthorized dealer? I've tried to steer my friend in a different direction but he seems keen on the used piece. I've seen gear from almost every manufacturer fail at some point.

Last edited by James_W on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next