It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Attending Vancouver Audio Show 2016
Yes 29%  29%  [ 17 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
Maybe 31%  31%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 58
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:54 am 

It's back from the 24th - 26th June and will once again take place at the Hilton Metrotown.
Discuss improvements, brands/dealers you'd like to show and anything else you'd like to discuss that can contribute to the continued success of this show.

The purpose of this topic is to talk about the Vancouver Audio Show only, and gives anyone interested in this show an opportunity to air their views on improvements, things they would like to see, what they enjoyed last year or just chat to each other before, during or after attending this event; now in its 2nd successful year.

We welcome all comments about our shows and treat them with great importance, be they positive, constructive or negative. There is a ’Speak Up’ form on our website (and linked below) for anybody wanting to have their say, including Show Visitors, Exhibitors, Partners or Personalities.

https://www.chestergroup.org/speak-up

Thank you.
CG

Last edited by AudioShowsNA on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:31 am 

No... because it's WAY out of my geographic range, and NO because it's a Chester Group show, and we are all rather aware of the dog's breakfast that they made of the SSI in MTL ..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:01 am 

AudioShowsNA wrote:
It's back from the 24th - 26th June and will once again take place at the Hilton Metrotown.
Discuss improvements, brands/dealers you'd like to show and anything else you'd like to discuss that can contribute to the continued success of this show.

Don't you think you acted unethically last week cancelling a show ( Montreal) so close to its actual time and brazenly start advertising the Vancouver show now?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:32 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Last years event, was poorly promoted and tended to alienate those looking to get into 2 channel audio for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:49 pm 

Had to vote maybe.
Want to go but it's about a month later than last year, now right in the middle if what will likely be my vacation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:58 am 

Double D wrote:
No... because it's WAY out of my geographic range, and NO because it's a Chester Group show, and we are all rather aware of the dog's breakfast that they made of the SSI in MTL ..

The Chester Group like any other organiser depends 100% on Exhibitor support to deliver a show: i.e. Exhibitors have to pay! If that support is not forthcoming for whatever reason, or is insufficient to provide value for money for both Exhibitors and Visitors decisions must be made if that show should continue. CG has organised over 65 Audio/AV Show over the last 13 years and never deferred one previously, and to do so is a major decision. So the reference to ‘dogs breakfast; is I’m afraid ignoring the realities of show organisation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:06 am 

rok3765 wrote:
Last years event, was poorly promoted and tended to alienate those looking to get into 2 channel audio for a reasonable price.

For a show in its first year CG were very pleased with the response, as were the majority of Exhibitors, and the latter is of crucial importance to an organiser. This is because many companies will sit on the fence the 1st year of a show to see how it goes. The quality of attendance was exceptional – and good news spreads, which means this year a broader variety of products and price points. With continued and growing loyalty by Exhibitors and Visitors this can become a very good show, but it needs patience, because what most people misunderstand is that ‘Exhibitors’ have to pay to exhibit so alas we cannot force them to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:17 am 

I went over from the Island last year. I plan to go again this year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:53 am 

I will be going..probably a few friends will attend as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:26 am 

AudioShowsNA wrote:
Double D wrote:

The Chester Group like any other organiser depends 100% on Exhibitor support to deliver a show: i.e. Exhibitors have to pay! If that support is not forthcoming for whatever reason, or is insufficient to provide value for money for both Exhibitors and Visitors decisions must be made if that show should continue. CG has organised over 65 Audio/AV Show over the last 13 years and never deferred one previously, and to do so is a major decision. So the reference to ‘dogs breakfast; is I’m afraid ignoring the realities of show organisation.

And of course that is your right as the organizer to defend your position and try to make whole and salvage the situation. However, the fact remains that not even 2 days post notice that the cancellation took place, a revised show will take place - on the same dates, with more participation than your own organizers were able to successfully entice to participate.
The lack of support, high participation costs, and poor marketing for what was - at one time- one of North America's best shows, under Chester's direction became at best ... sad.

You will of course argue differently, that is your right... however.. with leading statements like " depends 100% on Exhibitor support " goes a long way towards clarifying the fact that it was a one way street. A great show, needs buy in from both sides, and it is up to the organizers to ensure that the exhibitors get the support and exposure they need to have a good participation and numbers at the door. Not just pay your fee .. and hope for the best.

I've said my peace,.. and will not stir this sauce any further. I hope you have better success with the Vancouver Show. May it be better represented and supported than the Montreal effort was.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:00 pm 

I had to vote maybe as well it will depend on the exhibitor list

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:46 pm 

I'll be attending the SSI this weekend and if I was near Vancouver I'd probably attend their show. Hats off to the people that saved the SSI this weekend. As far as the Chester Group is concerned, I'm not really interested in excuses for why they pulled the plug two weeks before the event, leaving out of towners with hotel and travel costs. They should have known months ago by the lack of response from the industry that the show would be much smaller than previous years and planned accordingly. If the Chester Group has organised over 65 AV shows over the years, one would expect their expertise and organisational skills would be second to none. As far as SSI 2016 is concerned, organised is not a word I would use to describe the event. Lack of organisation would be more to the point. When management of any company fail to plan, they have set in motion a plan to fail. I have no idea who the Chester Group is or what their finances are, but it would have been better for them to continue with the show as a PR move. Hopefully they will learn from this boon doggle and ask for positive and negative comments from the gereral public and industry. However, judging by the responses from the CG group, it seems they feel no responsiblity in this whole affair and when people are this defensive when things go wrong, they rarely are looking for advice on how to improve things.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:44 pm 

looks like this company does not care about the people that ,booked time off work made travel plans along with hotel reservations to go to the montreal show so glad another group stepped up to the plate for the people that did so this is unexpectable to cancel a show in short notice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:58 pm 

Yes! Went last year and had a lot of fun checking various rooms. At that time I did not recognize many/most of the brands on display, but after a year of reading the CAM forums, learning and getting deeper into things, this year's show should be even more interesting and entertaining. I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:53 am 

The purpose of this topic is to talk about the Vancouver Audio Show, and gives anyone interested in this show an opportunity to air their views on improvements, things they would like to see, what they enjoyed last year or just chat to each other before, during or after attending this event; now in its 2nd successful year.

We welcome all comments about our shows and treat them with great importance, be they positive, constructive or negative. There is a ’Speak Up’ form on our website (and linked below) for anybody wanting to have their say, including Show Visitors, Exhibitors, Partners or Personalities.

https://www.chestergroup.org/speak-up

Thank you.
CG