Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:08 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
When some of the biggest players in the game and past participants such as B&W, Classé, KEF, AKG, Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyer, Totem, McIntosh, Martin Logan, Thorens, PSB, NAD, Quad, Accuphase, Audio Psychic, Audioquest, Bel Canto, Brinkman, Bis, Cary, Chario, Dynaudio, JBL, Luxman, Marantz, Moon/SimAudio, Rogers, Spendor Technics and Magnum Dynalab as well as large local dealers such as AudioShop, AudioVille, Coup de Foudre, Son-Or Filtronique, Codell, Layton Audio, Solen, Aux 33 Tours and Brosseau are not exhibiting, well .....

That doesn't leave much now does it ? It`s no wonder this years show is a no go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:08 pm 

Ants wrote:
Yippedidou wrote:
...I personally like small demo meetings at the dealers, when a manufacturer is there to answer questions. I think its closer to the reality of today's market.

Hi Yippedidou,

Filtronique, perhaps the largest retail store in Quebec with its insane amount of brands and instore selection will host an event at their store next weekend. The same weekend as SSI. They did the same last year and it was a great success. I had a chance to attend last year and loved the one on one with brand reps. If one of the biggest retailers have not participated for the past few years, obviously there is something not right with the formula. Change is good, hopefully it can bring a breath of fresh air with a new format of sorts.

I am sad that the salon is not going to happen this year but I will likely go to Filtronique's shindig.

that is an excellent idea, I just wrote to Filion electronique suggesting they should do the same, and if we all right to most good dealer and tell them they should do the same, it might just make wave and start SOMEKIND of trend or event!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:28 pm 

Toby wrote:
Not as if Filtronique had anything against SSI...

Ants wrote:
Filtronique, perhaps the largest retail store in Quebec with its insane amount of brands and instore selection will host an event at their store next weekend. The same weekend as SSI.

Not that I am aware of. I think they just preferred this kind of intimate event with brand representatives on hand. For me, it was a chance to meet some of the nice folks from Simaudio and get some info about their streaming products. I liked the vibe.

The upside to hosting a large scale show is that I can collect info, see, hear and sometimes touch many brands at once.

Post subject: Re: Salon son image 2016
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:21 pm 

Just saw that the show has been cancelled. That's great, airline tickets and hotel booked!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:10 pm 

Sad I read people already booked hotel and airplane to come to Montreal, well welcome ladies and gentlemens to town.

Filtronique is really nice, but they can be so much people in their store (100-150) max.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:42 pm 

personally i didn't particularly care that there was just 30 distributors i was still going 7 hour drive each way but hey to spend a weekend in Montreal and check out some gear would have been great. but in the past few day's there has been so much negative input about the event that possibly may have influenced their decision to cancel , actually i was really upset that members of this site were trashing the event before it even happened, made me ashamed to be a CAM member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:16 pm 

it is cancelled, go see their website, to many dealers decided not to go this year for diverses reasons, From my point of view the Montreal show started is long agony when the Toronto show (Taves) beginned, what happened is simply that all the industry people from Toronto stopped progressivly to come exibiting at the SSI, this is normal they have their own show. Plus the fact that there is a lot of good an big show in the USA definitively killed it, to sad i liked it a lot...Jd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:35 pm 

Sad news, and I feel sorry for people from out of town who booked rooms not to mention their transportation costs. It is almost criminal to cancel two weeks before the event. Whoever was in charge knew months in advance the number of exhibitors signed up. Some members have written that people like myself should be ashamed for any negative comments expressed regarding the previous shows. While positive or negative comments may or may not hurt a business I think it would be a wrong to blame the cancelation on what anyone wrote here. The SSI simply did not have enough of the industry willing to expend the capital. These are tough times for our dollar and people are watching their wallets and businesses are doing the same. I intended to support the SSI as I have attended in the past however, I felt the need to be honest about my experiences at TAVES and SSI 2015. The shows were smaller than in the past and I felt the cover charge was excessive considering the size of the venues. I'm sorry I won't get the chance to chat with obi56 and hang out in the Grant Fidelity room, or go out for a late supper with Rachel, Norbert, Ze've and the rest of the entourage this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:58 am 

Noticed that some CAM members who booked flights & hotel lodgings are voicing their frustrations/anger at the no-show event. We in MTL understand your feelings & would like to remind you that there's an open house invitation at Son-or-Filtronique (9343 lajeunesse) March 18 & 19. A chance to hear some excellent brands such as Audio Physic, Sonus Faber, B&W, Focal, Magico, Vienna acoustics & Wilson audio. Enough quality brands, I think, to make a visit interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:49 am 

Toby wrote:

Ants wrote:
Filtronique, perhaps the largest retail store in Quebec with its insane amount of brands and instore selection will host an event at their store next weekend. The same weekend as SSI.

Toby, what do you mean?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:08 am 

pt109 wrote:
Toby wrote:

Ants wrote:

Toby, what do you mean?

This is something I have seen where instead of paying show organizers, manufacturers/ distributors/retailers held their "own show" in nearby hotels.

-- 09 Mar 2016 12:10 --

doktorfuture wrote:
Is the upcoming Montreal Salon Son Image show really this small in 2016? Or have they just not updated the web site?

Answer: YES, smaller than you can imagine. Even if they had kept it going, some of us would probably have more components to show in our own systems than this year's entire event. :wink:

Like last year, my wife and I were planning on going.

This is how much I was expecting to spend that weekend.

$180. for hotel room (one night)
$54. for gas (from Ottawa)
$140. for four meals (two people)
$35. for admission (two people)
$30. for coffees and teas
$30. for show knick knacks
$50. for hotel parking and cabs

I just hope struggling exhibitors/retailers get their money back as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:13 am 

I'm sure Filtronique had nothing against SSI, and the timing of their event was well-meant. After all, Filtronique carries some of the best brands that are demonstrated anywhere, including at SSI, and the exposure could only have helped them.

pt109 wrote:
Toby wrote:

Ants wrote:

Toby, what do you mean?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:28 am 

Hey everyone, I've never been to the show, happen to be in Montreal that weekend. Can you buy gear at the show? Sorry if that's a stupid question and if so are there good deals to be had?
Thanks as always.

Post subject: Re: Salon son image 2016
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:41 am 

I got this from my Facebook from Dave Cope of AN

SSI 2.0 will happen in place of the cancelled Chjester Group show. Hats of To Michel and Sarah!

Come To SSI 2.0 in Montreal, March 18-20 and hear Vincent Bélanger, his cello and an Audio Note system in the Aidio Note room!

Check into it to confirm - but if it is the same date you might be ok - though it may be at a different hotel. I don't know where you would look to find out. Check out Steve Hoffman Audio Forums as Dave posts there as does reviewer Peter Bruninger who was on this right away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:16 am 

If you take a look at related threads, you'll see that the show in Montreal has been cancelled, or at least postponed until the owners figure out what to do with it.
In general, you can buy some gear at the shows, usually accessories, headphones, etc. In some cases, visitors have been able to purchase the demo models from the exhibitors...
Byron

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next