Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Salon son image 2016
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:35 am 

I was about to plan a trip to Montreal to attend this year. I have not gone in a couple of years. There seems to be a very small list of exhibitors. How was it last year?

Post subject: Re: Salon son image 2016
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:25 am 

It was rather "sad"... there were a lot of key players that chose not to participate, and there was talk that the 2015 show was going to be the last.

I was surprised to see that they even committed to the 2016 edition. Also, some of the big dealers hosted events at their stores that same weekend, not sure if that was out of spite :wink: or just to try and capture interest that was going from the weekend in general ?

The problem is that there are so many regional shows now, it makes it hard to justify the costs to participate on all of them, and thus it gets tacked into costs passed to retailers. It's rather a vicious circle, or a chicken and egg thing.. you're damned IF you participate.. and if you don't, the visibility of your brand goes down the pipe. :roll:

Factor in the point that this year, our $$ is in the toilet, it will add a major layer of pain to any distributor that has to deal in $USD to bring in product. The only upside might be that a US manufacturer MIGHT take advantage to get cheap exposure at a Canadian show due to the strength of the US$ , but again, the pain on currency will limit the perceived price value of the product in Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:32 pm 

Just looked at the exhibitor / brands list for this year's show. WOW! If that list doesn't expand I wont be attending. This time last year there were many more on that list....and it was considered a scaled down show. Unfortunate if this stays as is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:25 pm 

I haven't been to the show for 5 years now but am going this year. Per the website, 35 brands and 20 exhibitors for 2016 vs 242 brands and 62 exhibitors in 2015. Hopefully more are yet to be posted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:12 am 

Is the upcoming Montreal Salon Son Image show really this small in 2016? Or have they just not updated the web site?

According to their web site the 2016 show has:
55% FEWER EXHIBITORS
78% FEWER BRANDS

2016:
Exhibitors 28
Brands 54

2015:
Exhibitors 62
Brands 241

Information from these URL's:
https://www.chestergroup.org/salonsonim ... exhibitors
https://www.chestergroup.org/montrealau ... exhibitors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:11 am 

Unfortunately you are about right, the Son & Image 2016 show this year looks kind of going to decline??
I know one business that is not going this year, he said he never had a return of new customers?
Only to see regular customers.

It looks like a trend young bloods is not DIY much, or buys big hifi separate components, speakers, tuner, preamp, amps.
Maybe related to have specific room/place to have this playing.
Prices of houses now about everywhere is much 3X compared to 25years ago, young families have to struggle to have a nice home to start with.

We are 5 hifi buddies that was going every year, now we are thinking of not going?!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:13 am 

I noticed the same thing and presumed it really is going to be significantly smaller . Not updating the web page just doesn't make any sense unless they are really disorganized, which indicates problems in itself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:16 am 

how many exhibitor 15 years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:43 am 

I don't think we can infer anything about the decline of the hobby from the apparent decline of SSI this year.

The Chester Group took over the show two years ago and have not managed to do as effective a job with it as the previous administrators.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:34 pm 

may be hi-fi lost in popularity...

people listen bluetooth with a Bose and they are happy

They buy a great sound bar with a sub for the TV and they are happy

Dr Dre headphone , still happy

when you tell those folks you just bought a 1500$ stylus for listening to vinyl, they think you are crazy!! :shock:

I,m from quebec city...I don't think I will go yo montreal for less than 30 exhibitor :(

Last edited by renehuot70 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:40 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

I have a feeling the list of exhibitors and brand is actually larger than their website would indicate.
I just got my industry pass email today, after having applied for it on January 30th (!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:46 pm 

Some shows do quite well. I really enjoyed the TAVES show. I think it will increase in size. Other shows around the world are very big.

I agree this Chestergroup seems to not have the best grip on it yet.

Some dealers I've spoken to find it very expensive to go to a show. Many have to shut down their shops during such a show, which means lost revenue. Some have not had enough new revenue at a show to justify all the effort.

Also if you're coming from the USA into Canada customs can be difficult, as well as general logistics problems. Consider if you were a dealer and now have a new local show (e.g. New York show -- one is also a Chestergroup show), why travel to Canada? As you get older you might say 'hell, my business is good enough, I don't need to break my back doing this."

There also seems to be a bit of politics between the dealers / show management. I don't pretend to understand that angle but I've seen a lot of catty comments / sour looks when the topic of a show is brought up. Maybe being catty is really deflecting from the fact that it's expensive / a lot of trouble.

I wonder what the low Canadian dollar is doing to exhibitors -- maybe some feel that with the dollar so low Canadian's won't be spending the big $$$ until it recovers -- they might choose to not attend until it recovers?

Still, I LOVE audio shows. I make a point to buy something at every show. In Toronto I bought a Metrum Pavane. Last show I bought a bunch of Nordost supports. Before that was a floor loudspeaker demo and some tubes. You have to support the efforts these dealers make if you want them to survive! Plus, they sell you all these great toys! Win-win IMO.

I wish more of the big 'statement' speakers from Europe and USA would show up at the Canadian shows.

Maybe we need a different kind of show. Something like a wine-tour, where a bus would take everyone from shop to shop to shop on a schedule :) Then we could get all our socializing in and make it a bit easier on local dealers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:06 pm 

I don't understand why a dealer would rent a room at a SSI or TAVES.

I think it should be the responsibility of the importers, distributors and manufacturers to get their products seen. They should then encourage buyers to go to their respective dealers to purchase the products. That is how I see the brick and mortar stores are going to keep going.

Just a personal opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 pm 

Being a local, I am going to attend again this year with a few buddies. Unlike a few years ago, I am not expecting every room to have exhibitors and brands represented but its always nice to get hear some really wonderful setups and check out some of the new toys coming to market.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:53 pm 

If I lived there I would still go because if you don't go it will surely end. It could rebound as the economy picks up but once something dies - it seems difficult to restart.

Besides you can listen longer to what is there than skimming to hear stuff just to "cover the room" And that longer session may be better so as to hear more music played longer at different levels.

It's quite expensive for the manufacturers though - they need to see high foot traffic and I'm also sure they study the market somewhat to see if anyone with actual money is going to attend. Sure 500 people might walk through the room to see your $350,000 stereo but if these people can only afford to buy a $2k component - then it's still rather a waste of time for them.

And if the kind of gear that shows up is say Arcam, NAD, Cambridge Audio, B&W, Paradigm, Totem, PSB -- this is kind of a waste of time since you can hear any and all of this stuff anywhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next