Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:53 pm 
Premium User

I had a rather unpleasant conversation and email with a dealer recently.

After going through some threads, you can see and read for your self that a lot of us young budget Audiophile peeps are not being treated very we'll or respectfully. I want to remind all Audio Dealers that we have young families and are fresh into our careers and maybe we don't have tons of cash to spend right now. But one day our kids will be done university and our houses will be paid for and we will be looking to fork out some serious $$$ for some new high end gear! and Let me remind you - WE WILL REMEMBER how we were treated. So if you want to stay in business for a while maybe show some patience and better yet show some freaking respect to your customers - rich or poor.

Rant over thanks...
Lord willing When I have lots of money I will spend it elsewhere.

Cheers
Nathan from Cambridge, Ont.

[EDIT BY Mod: First paragraph edited to comply with feedback rules]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:24 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Thanks Nathan for the post.
I do my best to treat everyone with respect regardless of whether a sale is made.
The dollar amount has no bearing.
The relationship is more important.
It costs nothing to treat people properly.
8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:47 am 
Premium User

cableguy wrote:
I do my best to treat everyone with respect regardless of whether a sale is made.
8)

+1

Respect and honesty goes along way .. A few here need that reminder more often

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:24 am 

cableguy wrote:
8)

+1, It cost nothing...treat people properly,

you'll be rewarded,

now or later,

by this person or another...

we are just witness of your behavior and we get deeply wounded, remember...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:41 am 

I have some sympathy for the OP and also some for the dealers. While there is no need to be rude, let's face it, audio dealers still face a tough market with limited audience. It's no different if going to a car dealership, if I'm kicking the tires of a used KIA I may not get the same warm-fuzzy feeling I would from the Benz dealer.

I think the best route for budding audiophiles is to do your research online, on forums, review, etc. then contact your local or remote dealer. Do your homework and don't come across like an ass when purchasing $500 speakers.

I don't think a dealer can wait 20 years for your kids to have moved out in the hope you will come back and buy those $1000 speakers. Dealer will have likely starved for moved on by then.

Bit of a snarky reply, so I'm fully expecting to get it.... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:44 am 

I'm 20 and a girl... trust me, going into audio stores is weird, I'm often second guessed even though I usually end up knowing more about the tech stuff than the dealers. I'm not Oprah rich but I did well enough for myself that I could afford semi decent gear when I was buying stuff. Nowadays, I'm a tire kicker, hence I don't go into stores much unless I'm looking for something very specific to test out.

-- 29 Feb 2016 15:51 --

cableguy wrote:
8)

This is the only way to run a business.
As you said, it costs NOTHING to treat someone with the same respect you would a guy whose about to dump 50k on a system. There's no reason for elitism when you're a dealer, indeed most customers may not return in a few years and purchase that 10k amp when they're financially capable, but if even 1 out of 50 did (extremely unrealistic but you get my drift), I'd be pretty happy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
I'm 20 and a girl... trust me, going into audio stores is weird, I'm often second guessed even though I usually end up knowing more about the tech stuff than the dealers. I'm not Oprah rich but I did well enough for myself that I could afford semi decent gear when I was buying stuff. Nowadays, I'm a tire kicker, hence I don't go into stores much unless I'm looking for something very specific to test out.

"I usually end up knowing more about the tech stuff than the dealers." ... I think we might possibly be getting to the bottom of the problem.

20-somethings in general could benefit greatly from talking a lot less and listening a lot more. It might come as a huge shock, but you don't know as much as you think you do. None of us did when we were 20.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:02 am 

I find that most businesses, audio or not, tend to take on the personality of the owner. That being said there's a lot of employees that just punch the clock, or are commission driven and if it's the latter they sometimes wear it on their sleeves unknowingly.
I think there's examples to be had on both sides of customer service in every retail environment. Ultimately you have the power, it's your money.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:05 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:

"I usually end up knowing more about the tech stuff than the dealers." ... I think we might possibly be getting to the bottom of the problem.

20-somethings in general could benefit greatly from talking a lot less and listening a lot more. It might come as a huge shock, but you don't know as much as you think you do. None of us did when we were 20.

I'd say so too usually but by this point I'm pretty confident in my knowledge. I've been told 'vinyl is better' and that I should throw out my digital gear to get a TT because "computers sound bad". Hell they even try to sell me center channels and rears when I repeatedly tell them I'll only ever use identical floor standers across the board.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:12 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:

I'd say so too usually but by this point I'm pretty confident in my knowledge.

Write that down and read it back to yourself in ten or twenty years. You will embarrass yourself.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

Last edited by Quadzilla on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:13 am 

Quadzilla wrote:

Write that down and read it back to yourself if ten or twenty years. You will embarrass yourself.

Oh I will but they're pitching outdated things to me.

I remember when I used to seek out vinyl... what a mistake. Hell after looking into the science I'm not even opposed to truly digital crossovers anymore, as once you start going into floating point for DSP, the errors become far less impactful than any passive or active crossovers could possibly hope for. Digital volume control as well is tempting however, I'll be sticking to pure passive attenuation for a good while.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:25 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

Write that down and read it back to yourself if ten or twenty years. You will embarrass yourself.

I remember when I used to seek out vinyl... what a mistake. Hell after looking into the science I'm not even opposed to truly digital crossovers anymore, as once you start going into floating point for DSP, the errors become far less impactful than any passive or active crossovers could possibly hope for. Digital volume control as well is tempting however, I'll be sticking to pure passive attenuation for a good while.

If you know everything there is to know, why are you here? I have been into audio for longer than you have been alive, and I learn things from other members all the time ... or do you hope to 'school' the rest of us with your incredible wisdom?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:29 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
If you know everything there is to know, why are you here? I have been into audio for longer than you have been alive, and I learn things from other members all the time ... or do you hope to 'school' the rest of us with your incredible wisdom?

I think she can school you in not being condescending, or flat out rude.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:50 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I don't know everything there is to know....... In fact I often defer to others (theres some great members on here, Pnuemonic and Erik come to mind) who are truly more knowledgeable than myself. Audio Engineers will school you in ways you can't believe and make you balk at what you used to pass off as 'knowledge'. Also nothing can beat a good old fashioned ABX test. Oh and I was specifically talking about the 'tech' side of things, for speakers, for room acoustics... theres far far smarter folk.

-- 29 Feb 2016 16:50 --

Quadzilla wrote:
FoxFoxFox wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I don't know everything there is to know....... In fact I often defer to others (theres some great members on here, Pnuemonic and Erik come to mind) who are truly more knowledgeable than myself. Audio Engineers will school you in ways you can't believe and make you balk at what you used to pass off as 'knowledge'. Also nothing can beat a good old fashioned ABX test. Oh and I was specifically talking about the 'tech' side of things, for speakers, for room acoustics... theres far far smarter folk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 am 

rnrgagne wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I think she can school you in not being condescending, or flat out rude.

I think Quadzilla's responses support the original post.