Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 am 

And just as a factoid, Ross of Absolute Audio Video got his start as an audio salesman with Loyalty, back when a guy named Keith was the store manager.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 am 

electrafixion wrote:
tube54 wrote:
Albert is a little lost of where his business is going since his main go-to salesman Dave De Groot retired.

According to a mutual acquaintance, Dave was laid off by Albert with little notice.

Thanks for the heads up, because according to Albert when I spoke to him recently he told me that Dave retired. That's why it's always good to hear both sides of the story.

-- 29 Jun 2017 16:06 --

EL34 wrote:
And just as a factoid, Ross of Absolute Audio Video got his start as an audio salesman with Loyalty, back when a guy named Keith was the store manager.

Ahhh...Ross started with George at General Audio. I remember visiting the General Audio where I met Ross for the first time showing me the General Audio newly bought the behemoth Micro Seiki turntable while George was busy installing the belt for it. Then he moved to Loyalty Sound with Keith and then work for A&B Sound where he told me that he's opening his own store in Bowness area. Keith moved to Edmonton and work for Audio Ark I'm not sure if he's still there though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 am 

Dave De Groot was a good guy, he'll do well where ever he goes. I didn't care for the rest of the staff. I found Albert to be rude.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:32 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Dave De Groot was a good guy, he'll do well where ever he goes. I didn't care for the rest of the staff. I found Albert to be rude.

Yup Dave was excellent and Albert is not a "sales"person.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:49 am 

tube54; I had forgotten about that with Ross. I didn't know him when he was at General Audio, but now that you mention it, I do recall him talking about it. Now if you knew Ross, Keith and the boys from that era, I can't help but wonder if we might have met at some time. Were you in the store during the Grand Opening when Ralph Klein dropped by? Those were the good old days for sure, especially at Loyalty; they had a lot of great gear then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:56 am 

I liked the Calgary audio shops. Friend of mine and I used to go visit a bunch of them time to time on Saturdays as teenagers - no real intent buy, but to just salivate over the gear. For the most part the sales guys were cool with it, probably saw a bit of themselves in us. My favourite was Sounds of Music right at the base of the C-Train station on 7th Ave.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 pm 

EL34 wrote:
tube54; I had forgotten about that with Ross. I didn't know him when he was at General Audio, but now that you mention it, I do recall him talking about it. Now if you knew Ross, Keith and the boys from that era, I can't help but wonder if we might have met at some time. Were you in the store during the Grand Opening when Ralph Klein dropped by? Those were the good old days for sure, especially at Loyalty; they had a lot of great gear then.

Probably. I knew all the owners of the high-end dealerships in Calgary dated back from the late 80's. Back at that time, you could walk in at any time at their store and they will greet you with a big smile and with courtesy even if you couldn't afford the equipment as such in my case. They were very eager in showing you the latest and greatest of the equipment that they were carrying. I remember spending some time with George at General Audio while I was auditioning and explaining me the virtues of LINN equipment especially the LINN turntable. His enthusiasm didn't diminish even after I told him that I couldn't afford it of which I felt guilty about wasting his time. I used to visit them all every two months or so just to hear the new flavor of the month.

However, over the years I developed great relationships with them. Nowadays I don't visit them as much as I use to. The last time I was with Ross was when he was showing me the Magico speakers. Two months ago I was with Albert auditioning his Line Magnetic speakers and equipment. He thought I move because he hasn't seen me in a while. Anyway, he was trying to sell me his NOS Wilson Audion MAXX speakers of which I could not afford. Last week I was with John of Sounds Of Music auditioning his new line of Audio Research REF equipment as well as the new Wilson Alexia Speakers. Also, I was with Kurt of Audio Room about a month ago while showing his new Focal Utopia and Tannoy Berkeley speakers. I think it's time to visit Darren of K&W as well just to say hello as I haven't seen him in a while either.

Last edited by tube54 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:00 pm 

@ stickers11; Bought my first Musical Fidelity A-1 from Sounds of Music -- that was a few years ago. Loved being able to fry eggs on it while listening to tunes at the same time. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:17 pm 

EL34 wrote:
@ stickers11; Bought my first Musical Fidelity A-1 from Sounds of Music -- that was a few years ago. Loved being able to fry eggs on it while listening to tunes at the same time. :lol:

That little black amp ran very hot yes. Too hot for it's own low wattage class A goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:20 pm 

I heard a set of B&W monitors in their lower room playing Clapton's unplugged album. Thought he was there in the room! From that point on I was hooked on audio gear.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:

Never met Albert but I concur about Dave: Straight-up good guy. Personable, knowledgeable, never egotistical. I bought a used Bryston 10B of a particular vintage from him and ended up spending a lot of time discussing my project, he was genuinely interested and made a few comments/pointers that were helpful. He knew I needed another in the same production range and a year+ later I gotta call from him, I say hello and he says " It's Dave at Loyalty, I got it." What a guy, friend, audio brother. Deserved better from Albert and will do very well regardless I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:24 pm 

It is a shame, I use to work above the store when it was on 8th and after I changed jobs, still went to it when they moved round the corner on 12th. I never made it to the new location in the north east, but it does appear that the whole unit is up for sale. Sad for sure.

Dave was a top guy, I bought some Grado's and KEF's from him. Always good for a chat about watches too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

There was Chinook Sound on 17th also a great store

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:10 pm 

Update - I was in the area today - 5621 11 St NE (Unit 102) and the sign was still there with an 'Open' sign. That said, when I went to the door there was :

"Out For Coffee !
Or in #103
Or Please Call 403 818 9908"

I didn't have time for option 2 or 3, but another time I might, so not completely gone...