Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 am 

twenty9black wrote:
I am guilty of this concept of show rooming...it was not intentional, mostly.

I was looking for new speakers (as we all do at some point while growing into this hobby) and stopped into the Toronto audio, home of the audiophile....I think that is the name of the store, north of the GTA. About 2hrs before closing.

The salesman sat me down and played Patricia Barber, taste of honey. Pass labs x150 amp, Gershman avant grade RX20 speakers. Also, about 50g worth of cables and digital gear.

I was in love! I spent the the next two hours talking and listening - same song, about 12 times :-)

The system was absolutely the best I have ever heard...I couldn't afford any of the kit - speakers 6500, amp about the same, cables 6k, pre 15k, cdp 10k, DAC 10k, power conditioner 5k....you get the idea.

I had taken 2hrs of the salesman's time, and the owner, very polite, as well....I said, I must buy something...so they sold me a compliation CD for 35bucks...it had Patricia Barber's song that I loved, taste of honey. These two gentlemen were the nicest they could be, I have since seen them at TAaVES, and the owner introduced me to the Gershman speaker manufacture...they had SWAN hooked to XA60s, again the sound was amazing, so easy to listen to and yet emotional.

Anyway...I bought used RX20s from the Montreal audio show, and used passlabs X2.2 pre, and X250 amp from a guy in Alberta... Both from CAM listings. I can't thank the dealer enough for the two hour education, and I hope to buy something from them soon. I have not replicated the exact sound from that first day, but it is close :-)

I am just a normal shopper who loves the best gear made, but can only afford second best.

Confession over.

Peace out.

I hope I'm not off-topic too much. I was looking to buy some LAST record preservative. I called one dealer who when I went to his store had only the record cleaner. I spoke to Vince Scalzitti at Tri-Cell, a distributor, figuring he sells to lot of stores & would know which one might carry it. Vince referred me to the closest dealer - Home Of the Audiophile. They also treated me very well & showed me their excellent audio equipment even though I was just there to buy an accessory. I bought 2 LAST products.
But on topic - I checked the cost on-line after getting back home & Home Of The Audiophile had a better price than what I could have sourced on the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:38 am 

waxwings wrote:
This thread is not about tire kickers,.... It is about the low life who abuses the bick and mortar facility to make his or her's online purchase and feels self intititled enough to use up someone else's time..

Well that will never change, in any business really, but my point earlier is if you can protect your margins, you can budget for the value of that "wasted time" and still end up with a profitable enterprise.

Those "low-lifes" are obviously in the hobby and could become a customer or even refer someone who might be down the road....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:44 pm 

If someone indeed qualifies, or is qualified, as a "low life"... I reckon they stand a pretty good chance of self improvement, given the fact that they're showing interest in the fine art of music reproduction... which couldn't be farther from the low-end spectrum of human state of being.