Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: electronicsforless.ca
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:55 am 

Anyone have dealings with this company? I am considering buying a Teac HA-501 headphone amp from them. The price is much lower than at my local dealer (who ignores my emails asking for help).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:18 am 

They are the same folks that distribute SVS subs. I purchased one two years ago and they are great to deal with. I bought mine at their actual store in Richmond Hill.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:50 am 

Yes, they are good company to deal with, I have purchased from them in the past and had no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:00 am 

I have dealt with them a few times. Never a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:11 am 

Thanks, guys. When the price is so good on an item I wonder about it. Going to think it over as it's still a fair bit of money to me. I have the matching cd player already and it's great sounding.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:16 am 

Same thing on SVS. Ordered a 12" sub from BC. Reasonable shipping price. it got here so fast that I was not ready for it. No problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:35 pm 
Premium User

$750 for a headamp that uses opamps seems steep! You can go the opamp route for much less IMHO. I'd suggest the Gustard H10 (paid $425 all in). Lots of info on Head-Fi about the amp. They're supposed to have a website/store up by the end of the month. It's basically a Violectric V200 clone but with a dual mono power supply and the Alps 27 soldered directly to the PCI effectively shortening the signal path. The amp gets amazing reviews and the few HF'ers who have heard both actually preferred the H10 to the $1K V200! I eventually sold my Bryston BHA-1 as I just couldn't justify keeping it when the H10 sounds so good at only one quarter the price! BTW Violectric is regarded for designing the best performing opamp driven headphone amps so you at least have to give it Gustard for knowing where to go for a design :mrgreen:

I have no affiliation with Gustard, it's just that many of us of HF members believe this is the best bang for you buck headphone amp out there and we like spreading the good word. Check out the thread!

*pcb not PCI, silly autocorrect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:17 pm 

They are a real comany and I have used them several times. Their prices are ok sometimes so just do your due diligence of price checking before you pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:37 pm 

natemact wrote:
$750 for a headamp that uses opamps seems steep!

The op amps are used at the input stage. The output stage is discrete class A. If you can read french there is a good review here or use Google translate like I had to do.

http://www.hdfever.fr/2013/12/28/test-teac-ha-501/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:23 pm 

I have delt with EFL a few times and each time received excellent service.
They had a retail store in Markham many years back that I visited on occasion, and in fact bought my very first subwoofer (HSU STF-2) from.

It's too bad they dropped the HSU line, but I'm glad to see they picked up SVS in the process.

BTW, that STF-2..... yeah it's still rock'n away beautifully in my parents HT setup!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 pm 
Premium User

I had made many deals with Mason (owner),either Mason or Lou are great guys to deal with, I sent other people to them and like myself no one ever complain about a bad deal, he looks after costumers and doesnt loose a deal even if you find a cheaper place, he will go the extra mile to make you happy . dealers like him deserve business, he will welcome you if you buy a $100 item same way if you spend $thousands$ in LED tv.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:20 pm 

I had a dealing with them just over 3 weeks ago. I purchased a Marshall blue tooth amp and paid with paypal. I get my shipping notice that it will arrive at the end of the following week by the end of the day Friday 8:00 pm. Naturally nothing arrives and they are not answering their phone line for existing orders....so I call into their order line and naturally it gets answered immediately. What I end up finding out is that even though they have my money over 800 dollars they don't have the amp and tell me it will take at least 2 more weeks and to be patient. I tell them that is unreasonable and that I want my money back....which they do agree to do. The problem is though because I paid by paypal there is a wait of about a week for the money to show up in my paypal account and then another week to get the money transferred back to my bank.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:44 pm 

highjinx wrote:
I had a dealing with them just over 3 weeks ago. I purchased a Marshall blue tooth amp and paid with paypal. I get my shipping notice that it will arrive at the end of the following week by the end of the day Friday 8:00 pm. Naturally nothing arrives and they are not answering their phone line for existing orders....so I call into their order line and naturally it gets answered immediately. What I end up finding out is that even though they have my money over 800 dollars they don't have the amp and tell me it will take at least 2 more weeks and to be patient. I tell them that is unreasonable and that I want my money back....which they do agree to do. The problem is though because I paid by paypal there is a wait of about a week for the money to show up in my paypal account and then another week to get the money transferred back to my bank.

I sympathize. I once used paypal with a major retailer. The item was out of stock and they cancelled the order. Customer service kept telling me the "credit card" was not charged. They couldn't understand that in my paypal account they had never cancelled the transaction and for 30 days it was still "pending". I couldn't make any changes to my account payment settings for a month. I wasn't out any money but it was a nuisance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:10 pm 

Just bit the bullet and ordered the HA-501. Got 5% off my first time order as well for adding myself to their email list.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:26 pm 
Premium User

Let us know how it sounds and quality of the product, I've been thinking about this dac until the bryston bda-3 comes out ( hope this year) and can always resell it as the price is not to high and loosing a few hundred bucks won't hurt , but I've read good and bad things about it , like everything else of course .
Thanks