Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:06 pm 
Premium User

jn229 wrote:
IMHO: Brick and mortar audio stores are dying antiques. Do a survey on Canuck, ask the members: how many key components in your kit did you buy via internet? Be honest with yourself, what does a brick and mortar store offer that you really need?

The 2 pairs of speakers, 3 amps, sub and DAC that make up my main system were all bought retail at a local shop. The lesser stuff I own I just wanted to try out so I bought it through websites. I cant imagine making major decisions without going to a proper store.

Last edited by James_W on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 pm 

with the exception of a few Sonos pieces that I bought off a single Kijiji purchase, everything I am running now has been a local B&M purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:15 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I guess I am not considered brick and mortar, but most stores are 2x4's and drywall just like my home where I run my business. Sorry couldn't help myself on that one.

But I am here to say man I love what some have said on this thread, there is hope yet for CAM members AND Brick and mortar stores.

No internet retailer can check your phono cartridge as drywhitetoast said. And BTW DWT - enjoy your BDP, a great player it is.

Contact us to arrange a private demonstration.

audiobymj@gmail.com 289-314-3609

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:26 am 

The quality of dealers vary...that is a given.

But asking a bunch of guys who spend all their time on the internet what they think of brick & motor stores strikes me as odd. After all do they know what bricks are without googling it?? :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 am 

good sound wrote:
I know the OP asked for dealers only to reply, and like everyone else that has already replied I am also not a dealer, but i must admit that my tiny little brain finds all of this somewhat confusing. I am confused as to how big box stores affect the sales of small specialty hi-end shops when they don't carry any of the same product. How does a big box store who carries predominantly mass market entry level brand name electronics affect the sales of a store who exclusively carries small, virtually unknown, hi-end boutique brands? They don't even cater to the same customer base.

I am also having trouble accepting that most audiophiles are now purchasing new, high priced, two channel audio online sight unseen sound unheard. Used equipment sure, but brand new? I just don't know any audiophiles who make significant, and sometimes very significantly priced purchases of brand new product online. Yes I know there must be some who are doing this, but it seems far from the norm, at least to me.

The whole decline of the hi-end market appears to be a contradiction. There are more hi-end audio manufacturers now then there has ever been. with new ones popping up almost daily, offering much more product than ever before. You don't believe me? Just check out the Munich Show thread here on CAM, and yet brick and mortar stores are quickly becoming extinct and total sales of hi-end audio is supposedly shrinking rapidly. Why are all of these new companies sprouting up if the market for their wares is quickly becoming non-existent?

The majority of hi-end audio is still very difficult to obtain online. Just visit the website of any truly hi-end, independent, brick and mortar dealer and see if they even offer the customer the option to buy online. Not many do. Most distributors certainly don't advertise direct sales, and the regular online dealers don't really carny much, if any, truly hi-end product, so what am I missing?

Can you define "truly hi-end product"? Is that like the horizon?