Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Who is CTC Audio?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:00 pm 

I'm a fan of portable audio, and noticed CTC Audio advertising in the dealer section. Who are they? Their website has no phone number, no address, no mention of the people behind the company. Nothing.

MacPro Tower Media Server
iPad Mini Controller
Audirvana Playback
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Post subject: Re: Who is CTC Audio?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:13 pm 

???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 am 

There's no dealer member under that name. Pop-up banner?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?me=A10LNMY39S7LL8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 am 

Canadian Tire Corporation :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 am 

I know CTC Builders, but....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:18 am 

It's an acronym for Cut The Crap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:45 am 

I bought a Cayin C5 portable amp from CTC Audio a few years ago. I had no issues with the transaction.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 pm 

libor wrote:
I know CTC Builders, but....

Yes...it stands for Curl, Thompson, and Crump Builders. The only product that came out from this trio of designers was the CTC Blowtorch Pre amp, which sells for almost $30K back in early 2000.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:54 pm 

lol......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:45 pm 

Markk786 wrote:
lol......

Yup!...I was laughing too until Bob Crump explained to me how the Blowtorch pre amp's design came about. It was basically the brain child of John Curl which is famous for Parasound audio products. Bob told me that all the high-quality parts that came with this unit were voiced and hand-picked by him and of course, Thompson was responsible for the point to point wiring procedure. He says basically the Blowtorch pre amp was all hand made with similar fashion to Kondo Audio Note Japan in mind. How did it sound I don't know as Bob was supposed to visit me one year to let me audition but then he fell ill and passed away after a few months...He was an excellent audio designer as well as a good man...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The blowtorch was also one of the first to be using a cut block for a chassis. John was also the original designer on some of the early Mark Levinson products.

It would be safe to say that John was instrumental in the rise of the name 'Mark Levinson'. I like talking with John. He listens and looks fo the new. He does not pooh-pooh new ideas, he looks to find something in them. He is also a trained physicist, not an engineer.

Huge difference: Engineers are taught laws, and facts -new and untested is a huge no-no, training by rote repetition and books ....physicists are taught about an open world of change and theory and new undiscovered countries which may change everything.... No facts, no laws. (this is not a rant, this is how these two groups are trained, it goes back to the mid-late 1700's, and how the Germans designed schools for engineers - to train builders and makers, en masse..-this is what created the western world as you know it.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
The blowtorch was also one of the first to be using a cut block for a chassis. John was also the original designer on some of the early Mark Levinson products.

It would be safe to say that John was instrumental in the rise of the name 'Mark Levinson'. I like talking with John. He listens and looks fo the new. He does not pooh-pooh new ideas, he looks to find something in them. He is also a trained physicist, not an engineer.

Huge difference: Engineers are taught laws, and facts -new and untested is a huge no-no, training by rote repetition and books ....physicists are taught about an open world of change and theory and new undiscovered countries which may change everything.... No facts, no laws. (this is not a rant, this is how these two groups are trained, it goes back to the mid-late 1700's, and how the Germans designed schools for engineers - to train builders and makers, en masse..-this is what created the western world as you know it.)

You got that right. Geophysicist study the natural science concerned with the physical processes and physical properties of the Earth and its surrounding space environment, and the use of quantitative methods for their analysis. The term geophysics sometimes refers only to the geological applications: Earth's shape; its gravitational and magnetic fields; its internal structure and composition; its dynamics and their surface expression in plate tectonics, the generation of magmas, volcanism and rock formation. However, the new study for the modern Geophysicist deal with not only the geological application but in space and time as well the water fluid dynamics and the earth atmosphere including the electricity and magnetism.

I have collaborated with many of them on different occasion while exploring for oil and gas and other natural resources that can be feasible for commercial mining projects. One of the projects that I collaborated with them was the ground deformation monitoring system of which I employ the InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar) technology. This technology relies solely on the world's most advanced civilian radar earth observation satellite such Landsat 2 and or RADARSAT 2 just to name a few to capture the image. The collected data can be analyzed to create more meaningful and presentable results that can be utilized for either internal engineering study usage and or governmental submission reports.

Anyway, I'm way off topic on this one. Methinks it's time to go back to the real topic at hand....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 am 

If you take a look on DIY audio, there are two threads discussing the CTC Blowtorch, with over 100k posts, cumulatively!
B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:25 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
It's an acronym for Cut The Crap.

Correct.

About CTC Audio.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170115165 ... -ctc-audio

People say... 'How can you sell this for such a low price?'
"I say, because it's total crap." ~~ Gerald Ratner. ~~