Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Where do you buy your music?
Online - download 21%  21%  [ 43 ]
Online - physical media 35%  35%  [ 73 ]
Mom&Pop shop 25%  25%  [ 51 ]
Franchise B&M 6%  6%  [ 13 ]
Other 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 206
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:40 am 

[quote="cableguy"]Fellow CAMers, where do you get your music?
Select a choice in the poll, I'm curious as to what the results will be.

Generally on line at Amazon.ca or at the Artist's website for CD's.
Vinyl at The record Centre in Ottawa.

I have hundreds of LP's and Home made cassette tapes to listen to,
so I don't buy very often, occasionally CD's to replace really worn LP's, especially if there are Bonus tracks.

Ott.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:15 am 

Online at Amazon and at stores that carry music[usually wally mart :) cheers, lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 am 

CDBaby.com
Secondspin.com
Artists website

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:16 pm 

Mostly at Amazon.co/ca. Sometimes at HMV on Oxford Street if I am in London :D .

Used stuff at local stores

Legend Records in Kanata (Ottawa)

Ric's Recollections if I am in Mississauga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:34 am 

Let me add that buying records or any audio stuff on line really is taking away from one of the main parts of the audio hobby.
Walking into a audio store with records and gear all around and music in the air brings another part of the hobby into the experience and excitement of the whole thing.
Handling and reading record covers,seeing new and old gear in front of you is an exsperiense that I always look foreword to,sitting in front of a screen looking at pictures is not part of the hobby.
If you could go back in time and ask a music lover if he would like to buy music and gear the way some do now,I would imagine he would give you a look that would mean you are out of your mind.
If you say on line is time saving,saving time for what ,to work more?If you say you save a few bucks on line,do you not think a music store with the knowledge and experience gained and fun is not worth something!
No wonder the younger generation is listening to much lower quality thru crappy sounding digital devises,they are force fed music this way,and don't even know what music stores are.
I know I'm from an older generation,but the music experience of the my past really was a lot of fun and learning,I don't believe hype style marketing force fed to the people these days cares much about sound quality, only selling as much cheap crap as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:10 am 

yes, but once the real estate price kills all the real stores...you have no other choice then go online...and guess who likes the real estate marked going up...you, man.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:44 am 

libor wrote:
yes, but once the real estate price kills all the real stores...you have no other choice then go online...and guess who likes the real estate marked going up...you, man.....

Um, I actually am one that doesn't want the prices to go up.
Yes, I own a house but the reality is that I want to keep the market viable for my children.
If it continues on, my kids will never own in Toronto and will have to either rent or
move to another town or city.

Back to the topic...sorry...Zipp said what I was going to say. I will still drive for half an hour to get to my favourite B and M store for the overall experience.
You can't beat it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:22 am 

Zipp wrote:
Let me add that buying records or any audio stuff on line really is taking away from one of the main parts of the audio hobby.

I wont debate in deep the economics behind your position but let me just say that online access to music is here to stay and will keep growing. I respect the the ''good old days'' kind of view but I'm glad that I contribute to new artists developpment when I buy directly from them on their website.

This way I think that we are protecting a better future for music diversity.

So my vote goes for the direct artists online all the way.

Amicalement

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:30 am 

Ebay and Discogs for me...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:15 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

I just bought some CD's and an SACD from Turning Point.
http://turningpointmusic.ca/
The have a buy 3 get 1 free Jazz special on until April 30th :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:48 pm 

I'm in jazz... Only decent new cd shop here in Montreal is Archambault on Ste-Cat's... And still, not like it used to be. Good thing Gilles is still there... He's the reason why I still visit the store once in a while. He made me discover a lot of very good music.

I read a lot about music, exchange ideas and finds with buddies. Lately my main provider has been ProStudio but i also buy some physical cd's on Amazon. But frankly, in the past year or so, i've been streaming through Tidal and now Apple Music, especially Apple Music which has a great selection of jazz. Its not ideal as I know the artists dont get their fair share and it bugs me. But many of my finds are not even available on Amazon needless to say on Prostudio or at Archambault.

For used cd, i go on Mt-Royal Street near St-Denis mainly. There's a couple of good shops around there. Beatnick I find is expensive. Great choice but hey...

I believe in convenience but also believe in the effort of keeping contact with people who share the same passion as you. Its easy to fall asleep in your listening chair. Convenience is good, effort to keep contact with friends and co- music passionate and buddies is even better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:08 pm 

Amazon or Diamond Groove. My two go to sources but I always stop by a record store whenever I see one in my travels.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:33 pm 

If you have not seen "All Things Must Pass" check it out on TMC. Story behind Tower Records and the rituals of searching out new music and interacting with music lovers (i. e. real people).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:08 pm 

I get mine from everywhere. If there's a box or bin of records I'm flipping through it if I have time. Traditional record stores, London Drugs, Garage Sales, Thrift Shops, Ebay, Discogs, online sites such as Craigslist.

My only beef is that there is too much new $25 vinyl ripped from CDs from labels such as Hot Wax and WaxTime trying to pass as the real thing and $32 for a legit OJC reprint is gouging IMHO. I'm starting to just say no to the high priced mediocre sealed and waiting to find reasonably priced new or mint used copies of reissues by Analogue Productions and MFSL, etc. I'm also happy with an orig. label reissue in mint condition and will happily pay $15-20 for one as the quality is usually there. I don't buy much of the new releases that are generally in the $28-$40 range as I've been bitten by well recorded, poorly pressed recordings such as a Shelby Lynn lp on clear vinyl that would have been scrapped due to pressing quality concerns 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:03 am 

Zap Records in Coburg - Tim the owner is very friendly and helpful, can order anything and usually has some rare vinyl
Sam The Record Man ( last store at Belleville Quintet mall just off the 401 )
Amazon.CA

Zap just moved about 4 stores down to the left and has a bigger inventory
Sam's has a big selection as well

It was interesting to watch the vinyl comeback in regards to Sam's inventory of vinyl. There was only 1 little stack to start with and every week it got bigger and bigger. Quite similar to when compact disc came out. It's great seeing the young people buying vinyl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next