Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:07 pm 

Forbes_2 wrote:
lmw9266 wrote:
If Parasound no longer sells in Canada, why not let Canadian customers buy direct from Parasound instead of having to order from the U.S. distributors. Would the savings be worth it? I assume the US distributors would have tantrums though.

Because they are not CSA and Ontario Hydro approved, therefore not allowed.
U.S. distributors are not allowed to sell into Canada either, if someone up here ends up with a piece, it will not be covered by Parasound at all.

-- 07 May 2014 14:23 --

Also, as a side note. The U.S. distributor for Parasound is Parasound.

I know this is an old thread but I meant/should have said U.S. Dealers not Distributors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:20 am 

Just wanted to make another comment about Parasound pulling out of Canada. If you take a look at the International countries they sell their gear in, Australia and New Zealand are on their list, yet these two countries have populations smaller than Canada and their dollar exchange rate is similar or worse than the CDN dollar, not to mention that they are further away in regards to shipping costs. So I have to call BS on their reason for pulling out of Canada. What do others think, lets hear?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

A few years back when I started this thread, I had a chat with Paul Brownless from Parasound on why they bailed. I really didn't get much of an answer, but he did state a few times that the reasons were legal.

If I had to guess, they are paranoid of getting sued as a result of not having proper certification. I don't think it has anything to do with exchange rates and so on. Canada wasn't much of a market for them anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:22 pm 

my bet is they sell more gear to Canadian via on line sellers and it's cheaper for Canucks to buy it that way as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:45 pm 

Darrenbr wrote:
rednecknber wrote:
had several pieces over the years let me tell you there is a lot better out there for less money not a big loss imo

I'm curious what pieces of gear did you have? and do tell whats better for less?
I have 7 halos in my system 4 JC1's an A 21 and an A51 plus a JC2 have not had one single complaint with the way it sounds looks or quality.
I for one am disappointed they're no longer available here in Canada

First, yes, I'm aware of this post's age. Next, I have to say I'm with D on this one...Someone tell me about this supposed widespread availability of superior products for less money. How 'bout we start, as you come up with your list of competing products, with the A21?
And if you're going to play the game, let's talk scratch! After all, "...there is a lot better out there for less money..." according to the post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:48 pm 

BlackSandAudio wrote:
A few years back when I started this thread, I had a chat with Paul Brownless from Parasound on why they bailed. I really didn't get much of an answer, but he did state a few times that the reasons were legal.

If I had to guess, they are paranoid of getting sued as a result of not having proper certification. I don't think it has anything to do with exchange rates and so on. Canada wasn't much of a market for them anyway.

I noticed in a previous comment that it was stated that it was in Ontario only. Does that apply to all of Canada as well? I checked out an Australian Halo dealer pymblehifi.au and here are some prices:

A23 $1,999, A21 $4,615, A51 $8,796. WOW! :shock:

and there was no market in Canada..., I still find it hard to believe. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:07 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

There are 3 million more people in the state of California than there is in all of Canada. And California is waaaaaay smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:22 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

NB_Dude wrote:
wesworld1970 wrote:
i see, interesting. Thanks!

-- 07 May 2014 10:15 --

you legally need csa to sell in canada?

Thats an excellent question, anyone have insight ? if I can recall comments I once read in UHF Magazine correctly, no CSA certification on some high end gear had to do with the fact CSA pratically destroy your product in their tests, so, to get CSA certification, it can very expensive for a small high end company to sacrifice a $15 K amp for instance.....?

One does not need FULL CSA certification, One can simply get 'entela' certification, which is legally an equivalent to 'CSA approval'. it is done by the Entela person coming in to your place of business and doing a quick inspection of each individual device ...and ensuring that they are properly fused, switched, and have a high enough level of quality of construction, that the item does not immediately kill people.

This costs maybe $40-30 per item, depending on how many are being done that particular day.

For example SF marketing did this for the Mackie gear, for the longest time. Pick up and look at just about any Mackie amp or board, and you will see the Blue Entela sticker on the back. SF would line up 100 amps or whatnot, all opened up and taken apart to a certain degree, and all laid out on tables. The Inertek/Entela guy would arrive, and approve them all, via inspection, one after another. Each item would receive that little blue sticker.

Then SF could box them back up and they'd be legal for selling to the public, in Canada..... and legal for being connected to the power grid.

Entela is also known as intertek.

http://www.intertek.com/

many companies do this, Even companies like Luxman or Pioneer, or Onkyo Integra, and so on. Low production number devices for the Canadian market are usually handled this way.

Thus, what was stated in the letter from Parasound, was exactly that. But, the company or distributor, for some reason, was not fulfilling their agreement, I suspect. One major point, would be to cover their and Parasound's legal ass, by doing things by the book. To not do this, is crazy in my book. But I was not privy to the intricacies. OTOH, parasound did speak on this directly.

https://www.usask.ca/fsd/resources/docu ... mation.pdf

smaller items, tend to go for the outboard wall wart and certified wall warts can be easily purchased as full CSA certified items. Ie, inexpensively, by the hundreds at a time, and better yet, they are universal, and approved for worldwide use. High quality safe ones are easy to find.

unpowered items, like that of a outboard phono-pre, or a car amplifier, do not require approvals. Thus the whole issue is sidestepped. this is part of the reason behind the plethora of small items with wall wart power supplies. No approval required. All onus is on the wall wart supplier. However, this does not prevent an illiterate re-seller from supplying a person a wall wart which is destined to catch on fire. A good distributor will be aware of this sort of issue and will work to be sure the wall warts are properly made and properly approved.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:52 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

lmw9266 wrote:
Just wanted to make another comment about Parasound pulling out of Canada. If you take a look at the International countries they sell their gear in, Australia and New Zealand are on their list, yet these two countries have populations smaller than Canada and their dollar exchange rate is similar or worse than the CDN dollar, not to mention that they are further away in regards to shipping costs. So I have to call BS on their reason for pulling out of Canada. What do others think, lets hear?

In New Zealand and Australia, customers can't try to squeeze the situation by buying at a place which is essentially next door, for sometimes 15-20-30% less in cost.

This is what can happen in Canada. The gear may be newly released, but in mere months, used versions show up on the usual resale places and Canadian nickel squeezers go after the lower price. Anything for a buck. Ie, if it is a $7k cdn amplifier and you can get a used one out of the US, delivered, all funds paid, for $4500, maybe, $4900, or what not..and then you come after the local dealer and ask them to match that before you buy new from them, well, it can kill the business model for Canadian distribution.

And it has. A hundred times over. (almost serious, maybe it's only 70 distributors that have folded across the electronics market)

If you look very very carefully, you will see a pattern in distribution of audio in Canada, where the items are generally from a market that the given average buyer cannot simply have the given item sent to them from the USA at a reduced cost.

The distribution model won't function any other way.