Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:42 pm 

Can the parts be bought seperatly so that an individual could incorporate this into their own custom rack?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:57 pm 

If the table is situated high on a rack resting on a wood floor and up against a wall, most of the movement from foot falls will translate into a front to back motion, rather than up and down. This is why roller blocks work. Mag lev, if not implemented properly in every plane of motion, will not in this instance be highly effective at isolation from the floor.

There's also an issue with the surface upon which the deck will sit. This has resonant properties as well. Mag lev does nothing to control this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:06 pm 

I was thinking granite slab in my rack with the mag lev system, and any horizontal movement could be controlled with belts similar to those used in the Solid Tech isolators.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:10 pm 

Actually granite isn't good for vibration control, it will ring like the dickens. I usesd to use granite and got rid of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:17 pm 

hi
i actually built something similar with perspex, i cant recall what you call it here yes i remember plexiglass. anyway i built it based on an itialian version which is a good few years old.so this is not a new idea, i used rare earth magnets found at lee valley tools.now when you reverse any magnet it wants to runaway from each other.so i placed in a steel bar far away from the magnets, but i had issues with magnets near electronic equiptment.

g

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:32 pm 

I would try this first: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3244123&postcount=11

Isolation from the floor in all planes; deals with the shelf resonances, and doesn't cost much.

WAF is another matter....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 pm 

I've always worried that a floating platform, though well isolated, would be in constant motion.
My turntable is on a spiked VPI sand-filled rack with spiked 4" thick MDF platform topped with a BrightStar sandbox filled with 90 lbs. of sand. It seems to do the trick. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:48 pm 

Well thanks guys MOON saved me $1260 on granite slabs,graham1 I never considered the effects of magnetisim on audio ,ripblade WAF can easily be taken care of with a nice purse and a pair of shoes.Good link though. Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:58 pm 

I know from experience that I would not want Magnetic Fields of that strength anywhere near my cartridge , tuner , preamp , interconnects , speaker wire , wrist watch , change in my pocket , credit cards , speakers ( unless they are of the TV shielded type ) . :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:29 pm 

MOON wrote:
Actually granite isn't good for vibration control, it will ring like the dickens. I usesd to use granite and got rid of it.

You can dampen granite with Dynamat on the underside. I have four granite shelfs to reinforce the plywood shelves on a target b5. I can feel slight, but to me inaudible airborne vibration on the top of the component chassis. I'll check the shelves themselves for vibration Mon night, but I don't expect that it's the fault of the granite. I just dont have a way to "anchor" the components to the granite, or cut down the room resonances with wall mounted acoustic treatments yet.

Follow up: I can feel some very faint vibration on the granite shelves, but it's like 1/10 what I can feel on the top of the cd player chassis and the sound is still very clean at 85-90db.

Bryston BDP-1/BDA-1/BP-25/MPS-2/4B-SST2/Volent Cl-2i/Sony BDP-S550/Pace DC758D/Shun. Guard/Denon AVR-2310/Tannoy HTS-200/Xbox 360/Arcam Alpha 8/Marantz DR-17/Samsung PN51E6500EF/Sennheiser RS-180/Sharp LC-32D40U/Energy 2.2i

Last edited by mjlindsay on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:05 pm 

mjlindsay wrote:
You can dampen granite with Dynamat on the underside.
The best way to damp granite is with granite. Stack one piece on top of another. If the two pieces are identical, thin enough (I'm not talking tombstones here) and cut and polished well on the mating surfaces, their resonances should cancel across a broad spectrum almost completely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm 

It is filled with 65 pounds of sand as well

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:15 am 

Up to this point, my favorite was anything by Skylan Stands, Noel does some affordable magic. My first thought too was do I want a magnet near my gear, I haven't heard a problem at all or I wouldn't offer it. I've had CDPs and Pre-amps on them, phono-stages and DAC's under them, all working fine. I haven't had time to do any serious A/B listening, but I can definitely dance with vinyl, where I couldn't basically walk by (seen my beer gut? ). Can crank as loud as I want without the bass getting resonated.

I sure wouldn't want to put a tape deck near it :)

I will do some A/B testing next time Noel drops over. I also like hockey pucks for isolation, some get real pucks, some get practice pucks.

It is on air, it is cool, it has been done before, but this execution works.

Cheers,
ian

http://www.grantfidelity.com
Meet us at Montreal SSI 2010, March 25-28th, Suite 2326 Hilton Bonaventure Hotel
Meet us at AKFEST, Sheraton Detroit Novi, May 1-2, 2010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:44 am 

With plinth, my (non-suspended) turntable weighs about 70 lbs. I've never felt the need for any damping beyond a thick birch ply-MDF-birch ply shelf. I've used it on typical wood floors on joists and more recently on concrete-rebar floors. No feedback or other irritating phenomena, even at high volumes. Could some super-duper isolation platform reduce subtle high frequency smear or some other undesirable effect? Quite possible. But I'm happy enough with it as it is now that I'm not inclined to experiment further. . .

Other source components (CD player/transport, DAC, tuner) just sit on squishy sorbathane (?) foots on birch/mdf shelves.

Except for course for the one set up that has everything rack mounted which, sometimes, I suspect is the best, and easiest, form of isolation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
My CDP sits on a wood shelf all on its lonesome and my pre sits on what used to be a 1/2" maple cutting block.
Can't say for sure if either makes a big difference.
My turntable sits on a Target wall shelf,now that made a big difference.
Q: If you kill all the vibration don't you also kill some of the music?
I've heard mega-buck systems where vibrations were controlled to the point of leaving the music flat, detailed but no jump or involvement.

Wood is not a good vibration damper on its own - it vibrates.

Vibration is bad - period. It can kill the details, imaging and soundstage in music playback. If the mega buck system sounded "flat", it's because it stinks, not because of vibration control devices.

Floating the platform only prevents vibration coming up from the ground. It does not stop airborne vibration. The shelves still have to be damped and/or the components sitting on the shelves have to be sitting on something to protect them from the vibration in the shelf. (special feet, isolation platforms, damping plates on top of the chassis, etc)