Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 520
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Good Read Stephen
I'm currently experimenting with Treatment placements myself
I would love to get your input on the room and what i've done thus far
pm me at your own convenience


Last edited by bluemike on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Posts: 289
Location: m, BC, CA
Long & McQuade ( music store ) carry the Primacoustic acoustic wall panel line. They offer a minor discount off MSRP. The Primacoustic panels look very professionally made - check their website.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:52 am
Posts: 108
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
sboez wrote:
Long & McQuade ( music store ) carry the Primacoustic acoustic wall panel line. They offer a minor discount off MSRP. The Primacoustic panels look very professionally made - check their website.


The potential discount will depend on where in Canada you purchase the Primacoustic panels. Primacoustic is located in Port Coquitlam which is almost a suburb of Vancouver. Shipping costs may play a factor in your price, since acoustic treatments are big and bulky.

As an example the Primacoustic Broadband Columns 12"X48"X2" have an MSRP of $449.00 for 12 pieces. Shipping to Toronto is $60.00, shipping to Vancouver would obviously be cheaper.

One nice thing is that Primacoustic will drop ship to the customer's home address, really nice if your local retailer isn't very local.

Feel free to PM me if you are seriously considering the purchase of Primacoustic products. I will try to post some closeup pictures of one of the fiberglas panels later this week.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:49 pm 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:11 pm
Posts: 1142
Location: Elora, ON, CA
I have the engineering data sheet for Primacoustic products in PDF. If anyone is interested in taking a look, just send me an email and I'll send it to you.

They look like a very nice product.

scott@arcadiaaudio.com

_________________
arcadiaaudio@gmail.com
416-994-5571


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Rigid Insulation Source
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:52 am
Posts: 108
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Found a source for rigid insulation thanks to 'MTB Vince'

You can pick up from Multi-Glass in Brampton. See the following post for the details.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 27#p167427


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:49 am
Posts: 152
Location: Dundas, ON, CA
I also looked into Roxul and was recommended to use their Drainboard product which is 8lbs/cu.ft and comes in 2ft x 6 ft sheets. It's in stock at my local Turkstra Lumber and I think it works out to less than $1 per sq ft. Not sure how it compares to the RockBoard.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:59 am
Posts: 2769
Location: Dundas, ON, CA
S_Huang wrote:
Found a source for rigid insulation thanks to 'MTB Vince'

You can pick up from Multi-Glass in Brampton. See the following post for the details.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 27#p167427


Happy to have obliged. Truth be told though, I owe a shout-out to long-time fellow CAM member "vivid 2". Steve originally hooked me up with MultiGlass for my very first DIY acoustic treatment project almost 15(!) years ago.

Vince@freewheelcycle.com

_________________
"Live fast. Ride hard... and have a good looking bike!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:59 pm
Posts: 250
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
anyone tried the Argento Room Lenses for 1ary and 2ary reflection points?

I've had good experiences with them ... just wandering if anyone else has tried them out?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:52 am
Posts: 108
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
amperidian wrote:
anyone tried the Argento Room Lenses for 1ary and 2ary reflection points?

I've had good experiences with them ... just wandering if anyone else has tried them out?


I tried them but I didn't like the effect. perhaps the size of my room, 12.5X16.5 ft was too small. I borrowed a pair from Song Kim. Scroll half way down the page to see them in his show room.
http://www.songaudio.com/news.html

I am sure that many have tried to build a DIY version of this design (using ABS piping) but don't have any idea on how it works out.

BTW: Song Kim was distributing them in Canada but the company folded.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:16 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Terrace, BC, CA
On the trying it note, has anyone experimented with the 2x4 dropped ceiling tiles.
Easy to get and would be easy to wrap with cloth for WAF and esthetic purposes.......

_________________
Your powers are useless........the monkeys are on my side.........


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:18 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:59 am
Posts: 2769
Location: Dundas, ON, CA
S_Huang wrote:
amperidian wrote:
anyone tried the Argento Room Lenses for 1ary and 2ary reflection points?

I've had good experiences with them ... just wandering if anyone else has tried them out?


I tried them but I didn't like the effect. perhaps the size of my room, 12.5X16.5 ft was too small....

I am sure that many have tried to build a DIY version of this design (using ABS piping) but don't have any idea on how it works out...


You are precisely right in your assumption S_Huang. The "Room Lenses" are a simple array of cylindrical diffusers (which are also doing a little Hemholtz absorber action as well). All diffusers needs some room to work their magic. If your listening position is too close to the diffusive element, the diffuser doesn't have time to randomize the reflection and the result is pretty odd sounding. There is actually a rule of thumb for the minimum recommended listener distance from a diffuser. I don't clearly recall the minimum distance. I think it was three or four wavelengths of the lowest frequency the diffuser is effective for. You can find the precise info on the StudioTips site someplace. A keyword search using "diffusor", "Diffuser", and "listening distance" ought to find it for ya.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

_________________
"Live fast. Ride hard... and have a good looking bike!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:11 am
Posts: 73
Location: Rose dale, BC, CA
good to read people discuss room treatment,always laugh reading about hi priced boxes speakers etc.,and same people never mention their rooms layout and acoustic treating.these people can spend all the $ they want on equip. And will never ever,ever hear hi quality sound until they study basic acoustics and apply learned study to their room.99% talk of gear only and will never know what proper imigeing,soundstage,decay,ambyounce,timbre,deep even bass,midrange etc.etc.sound like.if they ever did learn room treatment,would be upset it took so long to discover what hi end really does sound like.iknow I wish I had discovered acoustic treatment in my youth wood have saved thousands heard true pure sound with all the excitement and shivers for all those previous years.good thing is never too late to learn acoustics,and listen to all your records for the first time in your life.you won't hear magic with digital,any questions l will try to answer but I'm not a acoustic engineer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:35 pm
Posts: 99
Location: Carp, near Ottawa, ON, CA
Zipp wrote:
good to read people discuss room treatment,always laugh reading about hi priced boxes speakers etc.,and same people never mention their rooms layout and acoustic treating.these people can spend all the $ they want on equip. And will never ever,ever hear hi quality sound until they study basic acoustics and apply learned study to their room.99% talk of gear only and will never know what proper imigeing,soundstage,decay,ambyounce,timbre,deep even bass,midrange etc.etc.sound like.if they ever did learn room treatment,would be upset it took so long to discover what hi end really does sound like.iknow I wish I had discovered acoustic treatment in my youth wood have saved thousands heard true pure sound with all the excitement and shivers for all those previous years.good thing is never too late to learn acoustics,and listen to all your records for the first time in your life.you won't hear magic with digital,any questions l will try to answer but I'm not a acoustic engineer.


So what's a good sound absorbing material that can be easily purchased in Canada, what sound absorbing properties/coefficients vs. frequency does it have compared to an ideal absorber and how do we know how many sq ft to use? If it depends on the room, how do you figure out what you need?

Far as I can see, there's no practical way to calculate this, all we have is anecdotal accounts of people putting up panels using various materials with no published acoustical properties (often using sound insulating, not absorbing material) and saying wow, what a difference.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 403
Location: Vaughan, ON, CA
Steve: great post, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:10 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18449
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Acoustical Engineering is a 5 to 6 year university degree, depending on where you get your degree, that requires a strong background in physics and advanced mathematics just to get accepted in the program. I don't think that someone with rudimentary high school math and physics can fully grasp and understand everything that is involved simultaneously, nor it is something you can pick up in 5 minutes or have a free app do professionally for you. So yes, a LOT of folks try stuff based on anecdotal results with varying levels of success. And, go figure, it really IS room dependent.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group