Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:31 am 

Good Read Stephen
I'm currently experimenting with Treatment placements myself
I would love to get your input on the room and what i've done thus far
pm me at your own convenience

Last edited by bluemike on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:27 am 

Long & McQuade ( music store ) carry the Primacoustic acoustic wall panel line. They offer a minor discount off MSRP. The Primacoustic panels look very professionally made - check their website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:47 am 

sboez wrote:
Long & McQuade ( music store ) carry the Primacoustic acoustic wall panel line. They offer a minor discount off MSRP. The Primacoustic panels look very professionally made - check their website.

The potential discount will depend on where in Canada you purchase the Primacoustic panels. Primacoustic is located in Port Coquitlam which is almost a suburb of Vancouver. Shipping costs may play a factor in your price, since acoustic treatments are big and bulky.

As an example the Primacoustic Broadband Columns 12"X48"X2" have an MSRP of $449.00 for 12 pieces. Shipping to Toronto is $60.00, shipping to Vancouver would obviously be cheaper.

One nice thing is that Primacoustic will drop ship to the customer's home address, really nice if your local retailer isn't very local.

Feel free to PM me if you are seriously considering the purchase of Primacoustic products. I will try to post some closeup pictures of one of the fiberglas panels later this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:49 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I have the engineering data sheet for Primacoustic products in PDF. If anyone is interested in taking a look, just send me an email and I'll send it to you.

They look like a very nice product.

scott@arcadiaaudio.com

Post subject: Rigid Insulation Source
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 am 

Found a source for rigid insulation thanks to 'MTB Vince'

You can pick up from Multi-Glass in Brampton. See the following post for the details.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 27#p167427

Post subject: Re: room/sound panels.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:57 am 

I also looked into Roxul and was recommended to use their Drainboard product which is 8lbs/cu.ft and comes in 2ft x 6 ft sheets. It's in stock at my local Turkstra Lumber and I think it works out to less than $1 per sq ft. Not sure how it compares to the RockBoard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 pm 

S_Huang wrote:
Found a source for rigid insulation thanks to 'MTB Vince'

You can pick up from Multi-Glass in Brampton. See the following post for the details.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 27#p167427

Happy to have obliged. Truth be told though, I owe a shout-out to long-time fellow CAM member "vivid 2". Steve originally hooked me up with MultiGlass for my very first DIY acoustic treatment project almost 15(!) years ago.

Vince@freewheelcycle.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:04 pm 

anyone tried the Argento Room Lenses for 1ary and 2ary reflection points?

I've had good experiences with them ... just wandering if anyone else has tried them out?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:47 pm 

amperidian wrote:

I've had good experiences with them ... just wandering if anyone else has tried them out?

I tried them but I didn't like the effect. perhaps the size of my room, 12.5X16.5 ft was too small. I borrowed a pair from Song Kim. Scroll half way down the page to see them in his show room.
http://www.songaudio.com/news.html

I am sure that many have tried to build a DIY version of this design (using ABS piping) but don't have any idea on how it works out.

BTW: Song Kim was distributing them in Canada but the company folded.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:10 pm 

On the trying it note, has anyone experimented with the 2x4 dropped ceiling tiles.
Easy to get and would be easy to wrap with cloth for WAF and esthetic purposes.......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:18 pm 

S_Huang wrote:
amperidian wrote:

I tried them but I didn't like the effect. perhaps the size of my room, 12.5X16.5 ft was too small....

I am sure that many have tried to build a DIY version of this design (using ABS piping) but don't have any idea on how it works out...

You are precisely right in your assumption S_Huang. The "Room Lenses" are a simple array of cylindrical diffusers (which are also doing a little Hemholtz absorber action as well). All diffusers needs some room to work their magic. If your listening position is too close to the diffusive element, the diffuser doesn't have time to randomize the reflection and the result is pretty odd sounding. There is actually a rule of thumb for the minimum recommended listener distance from a diffuser. I don't clearly recall the minimum distance. I think it was three or four wavelengths of the lowest frequency the diffuser is effective for. You can find the precise info on the StudioTips site someplace. A keyword search using "diffusor", "Diffuser", and "listening distance" ought to find it for ya.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:07 am 

good to read people discuss room treatment,always laugh reading about hi priced boxes speakers etc.,and same people never mention their rooms layout and acoustic treating.these people can spend all the $ they want on equip. And will never ever,ever hear hi quality sound until they study basic acoustics and apply learned study to their room.99% talk of gear only and will never know what proper imigeing,soundstage,decay,ambyounce,timbre,deep even bass,midrange etc.etc.sound like.if they ever did learn room treatment,would be upset it took so long to discover what hi end really does sound like.iknow I wish I had discovered acoustic treatment in my youth wood have saved thousands heard true pure sound with all the excitement and shivers for all those previous years.good thing is never too late to learn acoustics,and listen to all your records for the first time in your life.you won't hear magic with digital,any questions l will try to answer but I'm not a acoustic engineer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:22 am 

Zipp wrote:
good to read people discuss room treatment,always laugh reading about hi priced boxes speakers etc.,and same people never mention their rooms layout and acoustic treating.these people can spend all the $ they want on equip. And will never ever,ever hear hi quality sound until they study basic acoustics and apply learned study to their room.99% talk of gear only and will never know what proper imigeing,soundstage,decay,ambyounce,timbre,deep even bass,midrange etc.etc.sound like.if they ever did learn room treatment,would be upset it took so long to discover what hi end really does sound like.iknow I wish I had discovered acoustic treatment in my youth wood have saved thousands heard true pure sound with all the excitement and shivers for all those previous years.good thing is never too late to learn acoustics,and listen to all your records for the first time in your life.you won't hear magic with digital,any questions l will try to answer but I'm not a acoustic engineer.

So what's a good sound absorbing material that can be easily purchased in Canada, what sound absorbing properties/coefficients vs. frequency does it have compared to an ideal absorber and how do we know how many sq ft to use? If it depends on the room, how do you figure out what you need?

Far as I can see, there's no practical way to calculate this, all we have is anecdotal accounts of people putting up panels using various materials with no published acoustical properties (often using sound insulating, not absorbing material) and saying wow, what a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:25 am 

Steve: great post, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:10 pm 
Premium User

Acoustical Engineering is a 5 to 6 year university degree, depending on where you get your degree, that requires a strong background in physics and advanced mathematics just to get accepted in the program. I don't think that someone with rudimentary high school math and physics can fully grasp and understand everything that is involved simultaneously, nor it is something you can pick up in 5 minutes or have a free app do professionally for you. So yes, a LOT of folks try stuff based on anecdotal results with varying levels of success. And, go figure, it really IS room dependent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next