Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 pm 

In most of the ads run by Parts Connexion,,the following statement appears,,
" Private sales, in comparison, are always a buyer-beware scenario. "
I take exception to this. If I sell an item that disappoints a buyer or is it defective,, I take care of my buyer. I'm sure that I'm not the only seller who stands by his/her sales.
P.S....I have no beef with Parts Connexion.

Last edited by Mr.Hi-Fi on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 pm 

Mr.Hi-Fi wrote:
In most of the ads run by Parts Connexion,,the following statement appears,,
I take exception to this. If I sell an item that disappoints a buyer or is it defective,, I take care of the buyer. I'm sure that I'm not the only seller who stands by his/her sales.
P.S....I have no beef with Parts Connexion.

Nope, very clearly that's a 'beef', no question about it, you take exception, that is a beef. :lol: However, I agree, the word 'always' in there is somewhat over-the-top and could be perceived as an insult to honourable individual sellers.....of which there are many here on CAM. At the same time, the many feedback threads here reveal there's a dirtbag scammer around every corner here on CAM and elsewhere on the web too.. If I was a long-term retailer with a good rep, I'd probably point to the alternative risks as well.

Here again is a thread, where a dealer with a good rep has probably 'gotten the message', so a moderator heave-ho to the record may be in order?

Last edited by Che Cavolo on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:10 pm 

That's Parts Connexion just pointing out there refurbished gear comes with a warranty and a private sale, however well intentioned could go sideways. :idea:

Last edited by Crosscut100 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 pm 

Mr.Hi-Fi wrote:

There are indeed honest and honorable sellers, but that is not the issue.

When you're dealing with someone you don't know, you don't know what you are in for; you hope for a positive experience, but you can't be certain of that until the deal is done and everything has gone well. It may seem like the majority of private transactions fall into this category, however there's no shortage bad deals and deals that go wrong. Some people are okay with scamming someone else.

We've all heard of the expression - poop happens, and when it does, it isn't always intentional... Just as poop can happen with private seller, so poop can happen with a business, even a reputable business. It happens all the time. It's more likely to be unintentional when dealing with a business; however regardless of who or the motive, no one likes it when things go wrong.

Buyer beware indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:15 am 

One bad apple spoils the whole barrel.

Now how to figure which is the bad apple?

It's all subjective BTW. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:32 am 

...I accept your exception and raise your ire...like...ire never know whys peoples do mail sale when there exists no feedback...I'll deal...but it's gonna involve a phone call and a door knock or a public space and a handshake...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:21 am 

A Brick & Motor or an audio internet dealer has more at stake than a private seller. Reputational damage to an audio retailer will result in loss of business, therefore, they are incented to make things right.

Giving the option and price and convenience notwithstanding, I will always purchase from a Dealer over a private sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:39 am 

brf wrote:
A Brick & Motor or an audio internet dealer has more at stake than a private seller. Reputational damage to an audio retailer will result in loss of business, therefore, they are incented to make things right.

Giving the option and price and convenience notwithstanding, I will always purchase from a Dealer over a private sale.

I helped a friend buy a receiver which he would have typically looked for used. He was replacing a mid 70's HK integrated amp and wanted a Luxman or maybe Sansui. Rather than just suggest he buys used given it's vingage, I saw one at a retailer. This was years ago so I don't remember which one.

Anyway, I told the retailer what I knew I would find that Luxman L80V for used. He met us half way and sold my friend a near mint Luxman- pre- Alpine Luxman I should say. My friend still uses it in his basement. So trying to buy even used equipment from a reputable brick & mortor dealer is worth checking out.