Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading my system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 am 

Wondering if anyone can help me. Currently I’m running B&W 804 D3 speakers with a moon 310 phono stage and Moon 700i amp. I have a SAM turntble with Benz gold cartridge. I’m wanting to get more out of my speakers and am not sure with component to upgrade. Any suggestions?
Chet

Post subject: Re: Upgrading my system
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:43 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Both the speakers and the amp are a bit on the thinner side. Look for something a bit more full bodied. 100w KT88 tube amp, Marantz, Accuphase, McIntosh etc. There are tons of options.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:08 am 

Hello, That is a pretty nice system. I have a friend with your amp and another friend with your speakers. Both of their systems sound pretty great. The friend with the Moon has a pair if Von Schiekerts and the fellow with the B&Ws is powering them with Mcintosh. I owned a Moon 600i and moved into tube separates. I think your table/Cartridge probably is excellent, maybe try a different phono stage, possibly tube based.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 am 

What sort of sound are you going for? What kind of music do you like? With those speakers and amp you do need a lot of breathing space to get the most from them. My Moon 600i sounded much better with the Sonus Faber Cremona M floor standers when set up in a larger room away from the walls. Not good in my smaller listening room. Tubes would definitely warm thing up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am 
Premium User

Probably not the best amp to be pairing with D3's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 am 

Which SAM table are you running? You could consider a power supply for the Moon phono pre amp or a different unit. It looks like analog is your main or only source?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:12 am 

Thanks for the input. My music genre in 70s 80s rock, with jazz and classical thrown in the mix. My phono stage has a separate power supply. My thoughts are to add a separate power amp to power the bass while my 700i takes over the midrange and tweeter. Wondering if I’m on track for better sound with this idea?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:16 pm 

I listen to much the same music. I don't think you need to add a power amp to the mix. The 700i is plenty. If you feel the sound is lacking then what is it. it may be like the other member said a bad match of amp/speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:35 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Try upgrading the power cord feeding your integrated. If you are currently using the COTS cord supplied with the Moon, you probably are not getting the best sound possible.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:49 pm 

I do not know Moon that well, but the best sound from these B&W I heard was with McIntosh amplifiers...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 pm 

Your post does not accurately describe what is Lacking,Are you looking for a fuller sound with more space and detail? more romance?more punch and volume?Are you happy with your room size and sonics?Your system is not lacking financial input so far so its imperative to choose wisely as an upgrade is probably going to be very Expensive.I think all would agree your turntable choice is Stellar and it sounds like you want to keep the B+W,s a powerful tube amp would be an option or a powerful transistor amp that stays Biased in Class a for more of its output watts.most transistor amps are push pull operation [the ones I prefer are not! but I feel reading your post that we do not have similar tastes so recommending what I like would be futile]Most push pull amps operate in class a mode until the output current is twice the value of the bias current.In the class a mode both halves of the push pull circuit share the signal simultaneously this usually provides the most pleasing performance available from this type of amplifier.When the amp is pushed out of class a [I refer to this stage as falling on its ass] the signal is handled either by the push or pull half of the circuit.I think your amp switches to class A/B operation well below 10 watts this may not be pleasing to the B+W,s [the more efficient your loudspeakers are the easier it is to play them in the sweet spot and I don't think the 805,s will be at their best with less than 10 watts].Looking at the money your faced with spending I think I would try to borrow a Powerhouse tube amp like VAC 140/140 mono,s or VTL Siegfried's or something in that type or one of the Pass lab XS monsters.For sure don't buy something in this price range without test driving it in your system at home first.I am sure most dealers selling equipment in this price range would be accommodating to home demo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 pm 

Excellent advice Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 pm 

If it were me, I would add the Simaudio 320 power supply to your 310 and put a Synergistic blue in both your integrated and phono stage. You can buy the 320 used whenever one comes up.

You can do the two fuses now, you will be shocked just with the fuses alone. Fuses Wil be $383 for the 2 and a thousand used for the 320. Big upgrade for little money before you start chasing after other things.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:54 pm 

Really ,a fuse change is going to make that much difference?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:02 pm 

[quote="brianhutch"]Your post does not accurately describe what is Lacking,Are you looking for a fuller sound with more space and detail? more romance?more punch and volume?Are you happy with your room size and sonics?Your system is not lacking financial input so far so its imperative to choose wisely as an upgrade is probably going to be very Expensive.I think all would agree your turntable choice is Stellar and it sounds like you want to keep the B+W,s a powerful tube amp would be an option or a powerful transistor amp that stays Biased in Class a for more of its output watts.most transistor amps are push pull operation [the ones I prefer are not! but I feel reading your post that we do not have similar tastes so recommending what I like would be futile]Most push pull amps operate in class a mode until the output current is twice the value of the bias current.In the class a mode both halves of the push pull circuit share the signal simultaneously this usually provides the most pleasing performance available from this type of amplifier.When the amp is pushed out of class a [I refer to this stage as falling on its ass] the signal is handled either by the push or pull half of the circuit.I think your amp switches to class A/B operation well below 10 watts this may not be pleasing to the B+W,s [the more efficient your loudspeakers are the easier it is to play them in the sweet spot and I don't think the 805,s will be at their best with less than 10 watts].Looking at the money your faced with spending I think I would try to borrow a Powerhouse tube amp like VAC 140/140 mono,s or VTL Siegfried's or something in that type or one of the Pass lab XS monsters.For sure don't buy something in this price range without test driving it in your system at home first.I am sure most dealers selling equipment in this price range would be accommodating to home demo.[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Brian.
Nice 4th post.
Cheers