Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:57 pm 

I never had trouble with CAM members I dealt with. As mentioned by Forbes_2 I first check seller's/buyer's feedbacks. Next step is contacting him (email or preferably by phone) and get a "feel" of the other party. If all is OK, agree on price. Once deal is agreed I usually pay by EMT and seller ships item using insured Canada Post or FedEx as soon as payment is received. At shipment seller always send me parcel tracking information.

I prefer to have verbal contacts as you can feel seller's/buyer's intentions and honesty. I might have been lucky but never had any problem until now. Always very nice people I dealt with.

Several critical pieces of my audio gear (speakers, power amps) were shipped and not local deals. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:08 pm 

I recently expressed interest in an item for sale on CAM. I asked that the seller give me his phone number to discuss. His reply went into discussion, but no phone number was provided.

It ended up that for protection I wanted him to send the item COD as he has zero feedback on the forum here and he refused, instead wanting full payment before shipping. And I have good feedback on CAM.

I found this perplexing. Am I missing something? It's my understanding the COD would have protected both the buyer and the seller. And it was an opportunity for him to get his first piece of feedback on the forum. What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:51 pm 

kw59 wrote:
I recently expressed interest in an item for sale on CAM. I asked that the seller give me his phone number to discuss. His reply went into discussion, but no phone number was provided.

It ended up that for protection I wanted him to send the item COD as he has zero feedback on the forum here and he refused, instead wanting full payment before shipping. And I have good feedback on CAM.

I found this perplexing. Am I missing something? It's my understanding the COD would have protected both the buyer and the seller. And it was an opportunity for him to get his first piece of feedback on the forum. What are your thoughts?

Tough call ... rep is important and when someone has none its hard to know if they are an honest newbie or someone who doesn't care.

For me, I have stuck to buying within the province so that if there was a problem, a road trip would not be out of the question.

A lot of this is based on trust and nothing but the trust.

Basically stick with what you are comfy with and forget the rest.

In the case you mention, I would probably do Paypal simply because if the item doesn't show up or is not as advertised, you do have some recourse through them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:02 pm 

Awfully quiet on any input.

The seller and I discussed a few more things. In the end he is refusing COD as he doesn't want to be at the risk of paying return shipping if I refuse delivery. He wants payment up front. Crazy imo. He has zero feedback, and wants the buyer to front near four figures pricewise because he is worried about paying somewhere around $80 for a return shipping charge if refused. Makes one wonder why he is so sketchy on having his item refused by the buyer....

Be careful CAM.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:07 pm 

[quote="kw59"]I recently expressed interest in an item for sale on CAM. I asked that the seller give me his phone number to discuss. His reply went into discussion, but no phone number was provided.

I found this perplexing. Am I missing something? It's my understanding the COD would have protected both the buyer and the seller. And it was an opportunity for him to get his first piece of feedback on the forum. What are your thoughts?[/quote]

The problem with COD is that you can't open the package until you take delivery, and you can't take delivery until you pay for it. I don't see what you win going COD.... unless the package is very obviously damaged in transit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:17 pm 

[quote="kw59"]Awfully quiet on any input.

The seller and I discussed a few more things. In the end he is refusing COD as he doesn't want to be at the risk of paying return shipping if I refuse delivery. He wants payment up front. Crazy imo. He has zero feedback, and wants the buyer to front near four figures pricewise because he is worried about paying somewhere around $80 for a return shipping charge if refused. Makes one wonder why he is so sketchy on having his item refused by the buyer....

Be careful CAM.[/quote]
I don't know that if you can go there with it. It could just be a comfort level. I don't know that I would like to ship COD either; instead probably hold out for a possible local sale. Feedback is a great tool but in my case I have very little of it as most of my transactions, especially of late, have all been through Kijiji.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm 
Premium User

[quote="kw59"]Awfully quiet on any input.

Be careful CAM.[/quote]

Very few (if any people) do COD, I've been asked a few times and gave it no consideration whatsoever. Pay Pal is the only reasonable thing to ask someone if you need some buyer security.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:32 pm 

[quote]The problem with COD is that you can't open the package until you take delivery, and you can't take delivery until you pay for it. I don't see what you win going COD.... unless the package is very obviously damaged in transit.[/quote]

I've rarely bought COD before but imo it still has merit in this circumstance when dealing with a member with ZERO feedback. The original box is part of it, one can judge weight, observe damage. And I've dealt with delivery guys many times so I've found the ability to work within the spirit of the "delivery". YMMV

[quote="mpublicover"]I don't know that if you can go there with it. It could just be a comfort level. I don't know that I would like to ship COD either; instead probably hold out for a possible local sale. Feedback is a great tool but in my case I have very little of it as most of my transactions, especially of late, have all been through Kijiji.[/quote]

My point on CAM beware is that members should judge carefully new member sellers (what happened to the edit button on posts here? Can't edit. Even the thread reply button has disappeared at this time in my page view, and after a reboot. Seems to be some site issues). This site posts scam sellers pretty much daily. IMO, the seller is throwing up red flags. He wants me to take all the risk and I have feedback and history here. And my risk is near 4 figures to his 2 figure risk. The optics are pretty clear to me. YMMV.

Wow, this site is having major issues, in addition to the problems above, quoting is now not recognized. Fix it mod/admin.

-- 07 Dec 2014 02:34 --

[quote="James_W"]Very few (if any people) do COD, I've been asked a few times and gave it no consideration whatsoever. Pay Pal is the only reasonable thing to ask someone if you need some buyer security.[/quote]

You are a babe in the woods imo if you think paypal offers you any security against fraud, whether bad sellers or buyers. Been there, done that. I'll use paypal often, but it is no protection against fraud or unscrupulous people.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:43 pm 
Premium User

[quote="kw59"]

You are a babe in the woods imo if you think paypal offers you any security against fraud, whether bad sellers or buyers. Been there, done that. I'll use paypal often, but it is no protection against fraud or unscrupulous people.[/quote]

It's saved me twice. Once on a 2,000$ preamp that never showed up and the other time for speakers that arrived not operating. I can of course only speak from experience. COD is something people did many years ago, the nature of buying and selling has changed in the last decade.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:53 pm 

[quote="James_W"]It's saved me twice. Once on a 2,000$ preamp that never showed up and the other time for speakers that arrived not operating. I can of course only speak from experience. COD is something people did many years ago, the nature of buying and selling has changed in the last decade.[/quote]

Paypal can work, but it also can leave you high and dry. I've been using paypal for almost 15 years. It is a good tool for many purchases and has been good to me. But not necessarily for all purchases and circumstances. I've just noted here a suggestion to be careful as sometimes it will not cover a transaction.

I know that COD is old school, but as I mentioned in the first of my posts, it was my request for a first time seller on CAM with zero feedback (and I have multiple feedback on expensive gear). It was a reasonable request for me with little risk to seller and some insurance to the buyer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:03 pm 

[quote="kw59"]
I know that COD is old school, but as I mentioned in the first of my posts, it was my request for a first time seller on CAM with zero feedback (and I have multiple feedback on expensive gear). It was a reasonable request for me with little risk to seller and some insurance to the buyer.[/quote]

But you can't open it to check it without paying for it. So what do you gain? They could still send you a box of rocks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:12 pm 

[quote="Erik"][quote="kw59"]
I know that COD is old school, but as I mentioned in the first of my posts, it was my request for a first time seller on CAM with zero feedback (and I have multiple feedback on expensive gear). It was a reasonable request for me with little risk to seller and some insurance to the buyer.[/quote]

But you can't open it to check it without paying for it. So what do you gain? They could still send you a box of rocks.[/quote]

It is not foolproof. I never said it was. Still, a buyer I posit that it is a reasonable good faith compromise for this circumstance where a seller has zero feedback.

As I said earlier.
The very effort of shipping of a heavy package COD is a signal of faith over dodging any shipment before full payment.
A box of rocks in the OEM packaging (as per the seller ad)? This is easily visible before signing off.
I've been able to take a peek before on a package before "official" delivery as well. YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:47 am 

[quote="blaireau666"]:)[/quote]

What?

-- 09 Jun 2015 10:51 --

[quote="good sound"][quote="blaireau666"]:)[/quote]

What?[/quote]

Are you attempting to build up a post count for the purpose of PM'ing?

Strange that over a year ago kw59 remarked on not being able to edit his post. Just now I noticed that the edit button is not available in this thread, but in other threads it is there. Very spooky.

Hey I have no emoticons either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:49 am 

What?

-- 09 Jun 2015 10:51 --

What?[/quote]

Are you attempting to build up a post count for the purpose of PM'ing?

Strange that over a year ago kw59 remarked on not being able to edit his post. Just now I noticed that the edit button is not available in this thread, but in other threads it is there. Very spooky.

Hey I have no emoticons either.[/quote]

It's the sign of the beast! The end is near!