Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Upgrading my system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 am 

[quote="canisbay"]Really ,a fuse change is going to make that much difference?[/quote]

Yes, the Synergistic blue fuses make a huge difference to what you hear. We put the blue fuses in my friends Simaudio p5 pre and the same phono combo 310/320 as the op last last weekend. My friend couldn't beleive the difference a simple fuse change brought about.

I have them in everything including my Foundation research powercord/ conditioners going to my Martin logans. Huge forum topic on the blue fuses on audiogon.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm 

Hi Guys
Sorry to butt in to an obviously very contentious subject and I do realize that changes in conductor material and quality, insulation and capacitance values go hand it hand with tuning the overall sound of your system.I have Jenna Labs speaker cables,Nordost silvers and real old solid core copper Tara Labs space and time and Alpha core silver Python speaker cables on hand and if the overall sound of my system is a bit analytical I install the Jenna,s or the Tara Labs.and vice versa if its lacking detail I tend to bung in the silvers both with slightly different sonic signatures due to conductor and capacitive value differences.And if I have a phono or line stage that I wish to tune the sound of I have a forty year collection of interconnects of differing conductor and insulation of microscopically differing values along with balanced and single ended varieties from Van Den Hull carbons to Kimber Silvers to Cardas solid core Copper and Pandora shotguns and many others that influence the sound from nail scratching drive you up the wall to lush and overly sublime treacle.I can appreciate that the sonic differences of high quality components that when inserted in a system make a change I just don't get that it will always be for the best.when DIY selfing my own equipment I tend to normally over build the power supply a tad, transformer choice always high quality and at least twice the VA required ,caps the best I can afford at the time[Black gates for transistor and Panasonic or Nichicon for high voltage tube gear] and overkill values also. Inductors silver or copper the best I can find at the time,I nearly always build with silver coated stranded copper 9999% purity Teflon jacketed cable with a gauge slightly larger than specifications require and I do look for the best silver solder and power supply components available,But surely at some stage we have to come to the realization that Ohms Law is not avoidable and black Magic is Bull ****, sticking an all encompassing placebo in your power supply and always expecting it to be an improvement can not be realistic.I do concede in some cases this may make a sonic change which may be construed as in improvement and indeed it may well be.But the Quality and gauge and type of insulation of the cables in your wall feeding your audio equipment will probably have more impact,Hospital grade outlets help also using Dedicated circuits and getting rid of Dimmers and fluorescent lighting a big deal.I am sure the ultimate system would be supplied from the wall via massive gold or silver, copper, carbon, with teflon or polyethylene or paper and oil insulated power cables to all individual components and protected at source by individual circuit breakers of the correct values and direct wired internally so no need for tuning fuses.I think James who lives near me but I have never met put the wisest and most simple reply in this post when he stated your amplifier choice may not be the best for the speaker you have chosen.I heartily concur.Its not the overall Quality or a Simplistic blind choice of one manufacturer over another thinking they are always the best.System matching is an art form that is governed by Physics both acoustic and electronic.The basics are Speaker type and size must suit the room,Power Amplifier type and size must suit the speaker,Preamplifier and all phono or line level equipment the best you can afford with the aim of not interfering with the input signal just increase the size a bit,then have lots of cables on hand both speaker and interconnect to fine tune, stock up on great red wine and enjoy.Its a limitless hobby without boundaries no one ever gets it perfectly correct but its fun trying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 pm 
Premium User

[quote="brianhutch"]I think James who lives near me but I have never met put the wisest and most simple reply in this post when he stated your amplifier choice may not be the best for the speaker you have chosen.I heartily concur.[/quote]
We have spoken a few times back when I was managing The Hifi Attic in Vernon (the old Kal Lake Road location)

-- 10 Apr 2018 04:28 --

[quote="James_W"][quote="brianhutch"]I think James who lives near me but I have never met put the wisest and most simple reply in this post when he stated your amplifier choice may not be the best for the speaker you have chosen.I heartily concur.[/quote]

We have spoken a few times back when I was managing The Hifi Attic in Vernon (the old Kal Lake Road location)

-- 10 Apr 2018 04:29 --

[quote="brianhutch"]I think James who lives near me but I have never met put the wisest and most simple reply in this post when he stated your amplifier choice may not be the best for the speaker you have chosen.I heartily concur.[/quote]

-- 10 Apr 2018 04:31 --

-- 10 Apr 2018 04:33 --

Something weird going on with the thread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 am 

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m going to look into the blue fuse idea. I already have a separate power supply. I’m looking for a more fuller sound, more sound from tweeters and mid range. I’m happy with the base. Right now I feel that all the power from my amp is going to drive the bass and nothing left for the high end of the spectrum. My thoughts are to use my 700i intergrated amp as a preamp and the new amp as the power amp. Am I off base here?
Looking forward to more feedback as my holidays are coming to an wnd and I’ll be able to do more research.
Chet