Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:00 pm 

I was into Car Audio briefly in the late 80s,but only a passing interest since. Getting my head unit ripped off had something to do with it.
Car Audio is such a hassle,you really have to love it . I want to upgrade the front speakers, but to get the door panel off? I would have to cut a rain guard to fit my Boston Acoustics 767s in the rear. Then I would want to rewire for a stiffening cap after upgrading the head unit and amp (this would downgrade the looks of the car). I have never hired anyone for installation or upgrade as I like to pretend I am a DIYer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:23 pm 

I spent Canada Day installing a System in my girlfriend's car with a buddy. Took us like 8 hours! The last 2 hours were spent trying to get the rear seat back in... he got overzealous when pulling out the clips.

Anyway.. it was totally worth it... not too bad on the install issues, had to cut and silicone some stuff... broke several drill bits when making the ground hole... the last car she had.. the only speakers we could fit in the front were a pair of 4" coaxes... otherwise we would have had to mod a LOT of stuff.. the mounting depth was only like 1 1/2" as well so that really screwed us up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:19 pm 

For a girlfriend, and having help,that makes it enjoyable, somewhat. But,with me, there is always the worry of putting a blemish on the car panels. I never have this worry about home audio component cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:33 am 

yeah.. the help helps! I spent the first hour running around looking for larger ring terminals and a Line Output converter since with a lot of newer cars like hers you have to use the stock deck.. or you have to spend money buying all this crap to adapt it to the unusual interface.

When we couldn't get that back seat back in I was starting to get worried! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:10 pm 

Hi guys check out my ride. The tweets were Scanspeak but Oz was my sponsor at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:48 pm 

I run a Car Audio shop in Waterloo and can say that the Installation is at least half of the Car Stereo System. We spend lots of dollars in special equipment and training to properly install high end car audio equipment. Although the upper end market is small, those who are in it recognize that a good job is well worth the investment.

In fact, there is equipment that is very good, up there with decent hi-fi equipment without being astronically priced.

We cary a Clarion CD player that features an outboard power supply, upsamples to 24bit 96Khz, goes through 24bit Burr Browns, and also uses Burr Brown devices for the volume control (along with full digital X-overs, time alignment and full parametic tuning).

As for amps we have Tube Drivers which are Tube pre/Solid Outputs that are very musical sounding and can rival some $1k home amps. I have A/B them against my Creek 5350se at home and while they are not quite as tranparent, they aren't far off.

Speakers I like to use in a car are Morel Component sets, as they use an amazing tweeter (900 hz resonance frequency, 2.2 Khz X-over) and work very well in most locations. Although, there are countless numbers of other good choices.

Something I have noticed is that when people shop for Car Audio, they check out what looks good, but not what performs good. You definitely don't see this in Home Audio, as people are completly interested in performance (certainly what I look for) and looks are secondary. Now if only there was more education than what Future Shops offers, there'd be more high fidelity in Car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:44 am 

Companys like future shop etc take care of the 90% solution. Like in home audio most people don't care enough to worry. The guy who does care doesn't go to future shop usually. Besides you wouldn't expect them to train the cust. to walk out of their store and buy at a more high end store. They fill a need in the market place. Not everyone is a nich player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:19 am 

Car installation sucks. I just installed some front speakers in my subaru and of course I had to start cutting the plastic housing the oem speakers were attached to in order for the new one's to fit. At least the deck went in okay. I still have some altec lansing componets from about 16 years ago that sounded amazing. I only listened to them for about 3 months or so until someone t-boned me and wrote the car off but the speakers were untouched. One day they will make it back into another car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:39 pm 

Still got scars on my knuckles. :evil:
I'll leave it to the pros - I can think of better ways to spend 45 minutes of my time.
Having ice cream with the wife and kids is one of 'em! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:49 pm 

Leave it to the pros....I second that! I've seen so much DIY that were fire hazards...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:58 pm 

Geez Omer I'm surprised you gave it up! You must have been quite a "whiz", I've never managed to accomplish any car audio work in 45 minutes. :oops:

Takes me fifteen just to figure out how the door locks work :lol:

Then again maybe you were doing a little "unauthorized" uninstall work :wink: :lol:

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:38 am 

Quote:
Then again maybe you were doing a little "unauthorized" uninstall work

:o :P

One of the good things when you're 18 and your first car is a heap - if you break a door panel youdon't care as long as it sounds good!

Once the cars started to get newer and more expensive, the car audio "hobby" and time to do it became less - more so now with a wife and 2 kids!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:58 pm 

cableguy wrote:
Once the cars started to get newer and more expensive, the car audio "hobby" and time to do it became less - more so now with a wife and 2 kids!
:wink:

One problem is everyone thinks Car Audio is all about the most Bass. Well, we've been doing high quality sq (sound Quality) systems since we started our business, and the good majority of our customers are older clients.

You'd be amazed at how much time people spend in there cars and what a great quality system can do in there cars. Allows you to take it easy in all those traffic jams :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:42 pm 

I have heard some good car sound systems, but to me it is a battle not worth fighting. The environment that you are trying to create a good sound stage in is a nightmare, personally I would just invest in a good set a headphones and a decent source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:41 pm 

jeffabc wrote:
I have heard some good car sound systems, but to me it is a battle not worth fighting. The environment that you are trying to create a good sound stage in is a nightmare, personally I would just invest in a good set a headphones and a decent source.

One of the challenges in car audio is being able to create a perfect soundstage on both seats. My car accomplished that during my car audio days in the late eighties, early nineties.