Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:28 am 

Hi.

I've got a JVC deck and a USAudio 4080 powering my kappa's and my concept 6X9's. I've also got a fosgate running my sub, but that's not an issue. I get a whining (almost a whistling) that changes with the revolution of the engine - the higher the engine revs, the higher pitched the whining becomes. The grounds seem to be fine.....and while I do play it loud enough to drown it out most of the time, the wife and/or kids do at times accompany me in MY car, and that's a no-no. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:47 am 

It sounds like a ground issue. what makes you say that the ground is fine? I fought against this for a long time in my car, and ended up going with zero-gauge for all my ground connections where my power line was 2-gauge.
Are all your amps ground to the same point, or seperate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:47 am 

had the same major problem with one of my last vehicles. fixed it with a simple ground "ring"
took a good accessable site for a ground and ran seperate wires for everything box, cab, motor, battery and grounded everything to the frame. worked great was some work but trying to track down something like that can be a real bytch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:50 pm 

Might be poorly shielded spark plug cables. Have you changed them lately?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:22 pm 

I also made a mistake one time wiring up my car: while the power went down one side of the car and speaker and signal down the other side, I stupidly sent the signal wires right along side the power dist. / fuse box, instead of running the power down this side. are your signal lines running beside power?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:31 pm 

You can curve alternator noise with a good alternator filter. They are quite common. Check out The Source for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:56 am 

There used to be a small tube like condesner that you could wire to the positive side of your coil (old cars) and then ground the other end to a bolt on the engine or firewall.

Go to a shop where they install car audio and ask for advice, sometimes it's good and free.

Post subject: Star Ground and Coil it
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:44 am 

Common problem. No filters work well. When I competed I lead sheilded the deck, star ground and wrap a light gauge wire around the ground cable approx. 1" and ground it to the body beside the star ground. Sounds like the coil doesn't do anything but it does. Try it. Costs nothing.
Dave

Fixed statement: Shield the deck means I shielded it with lead plate. Tough to find but works blocking the alternator whine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:27 pm 

That sometimes meant that one of the diodes in your alternator was going.
If your handy, you can crack it open and just buy the three diode replacements from the dealership. I did it over a lunch one day.

Gave me an hour of blissfull harmless activity.

Have a crowbar ready when you reset the alternator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:29 pm 

All great suggestions!
Alternator whine is mostly ground issue.
Try a ground loop isolator you can buy from Ratshack or any car audio places.
Trace the ground, during my comp days I replaced all ground including factory to eliminate the issue.
Isolating signal from power as mentioned above.

Let us know, there's lots of car audiophile here as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:33 pm 

Were you playing an OASIS Lp ?

:)
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:14 pm 

Might be poorly shielded spark plug cables. Have you changed them lately? ROTFLMAO

Ground your audio to the frame Wrong the chassis

Also the capacitor that was posted above in older cars refers to the one used in point ignition systems. It is used in the ignition circuit to take excessive voltage away from the POINTs in order to increase point life and decreasing arcing.

After 10 years of being an automotive service tech and going to school many time for this trade I can say with complete certainty that the above statements is the most misinformed I have ever seen in here.

In fact many of the posts in here are VERY WRONG, except the one stateing get a noise suppressor from the source, and running signal and power cables apart.

If your deck doesn't have it then it should it is in the POSITIVE wire coming from your deck and it is a black block caller the NOISE SUPPRESSOR. If it is missing then you will get an RPM whine from your alternator.

If your alternator diodes are gone(3 diodes also called a dio trio as all three need to work in order for your alternator to convert to DC from ac 3 phase) so Wrong again if your alternator diode trio is gone your car is not charging.

Anyone who wished to contradicts the above statements is perfectly welcome to call any car install clinic and ask the installer or search for the words diode trio online to see what their purpose is.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong open up a new car stereo and see which wire carries the noise suppresor.

Sorry my mistake: rectifier bridge converts ac to dc the diode trio converts 3 phase to 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:40 am 

OASIS66 wrote:
Were you playing an OASIS Lp ?

:)
John

:lol: :lol:

I was going to say "Did your whine come with cheese and crackers?"
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:13 am 

records2 wrote:
After 10 years of being an automotive service tech and going to school many time for this trade I can say with complete certainty that the above statements is the most misinformed I have ever seen in here.

If your alternator diodes are gone(3 diodes also called a dio trio as all three need to work in order for your alternator to convert to DC from ac 3 phase) so Wrong again if your alternator diode trio is gone your car is not charging.

Anyone who wished to contradicts the above statements is perfectly welcome to call any car install clinic and ask the installer or search for the words diode trio online to see what their purpose is.

Look near the bottom of this page.
http://www.allpar.com/eek/alternators.html
also
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-emp ... ers-3.html

I mentioned that only one of the diodes might be going, I didn't say the whole assembly is gone, but if you replace one, you replace them all. The alternator still charges with a shorted diode, but at a reduced efficiency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:58 am 

The problem is called a "Ground Loop" there are several fixes but the fastest and most sure method is to install a "Ground Loop Isolator" in the preamp stage of the deck to amp or EQ. You can get one at your local Walmart or car audio shop "Scosche Ground Loop Isolator ES034". Once installed your noise will be gone.

A note this is not the same problem as "Inducted Noise" from a head unit to close to an alternator charge line like in a early Corvett.