Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 am 

Hello people. Hopefully you can help me price my used setup to sell. I've searched all the obvious places for comparison but am coming up empty.
I have;
2- Nakamichi PA-202 amps
1- Rockford Fosgate Punch 75HD
1- Phoenix Gold PLD1 line driver
1- set Boston Acoustic 5.5 LF separates
1- set 4" x6" Alpine plates
1- Kicker 10" sub. Can't remember the model

These pieces are all from 1992 ish

Thanks for any help you can offer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:22 am 

I'd check ebay and kijiji to get some baseline and then put it up for less to move them.

You may want to set them up to a power source to insure those old amps will still work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:34 am 

Although he might have trouble finding them as they are 24 years old. Hard to say what the stuff is worth. The Rockford might fetch a higher price, and the Nak stuff.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:02 am 

If you can get $200.00 flat you are doing amazingly well. Don't mean to offend you however that is fairly low end gear.
Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:20 am 

Used car audio is hard to put value one. The gear goes through much more wear and tear in an auto environment. When we took trade ins etc, it was next to nothing. Used is hard to sell unless it's a legendary product that people go out of their way for. Even good stuff can be tricky to value.

It can be a big gamble... Example is a pair of Alpine Type R 12" in factory Type R box... the seller got like $60-80 and the woofers looked very good. Within a month the surrounds failed... it happens.

Or hope is somebody is putting a period correct car together and wants something like this. they're out there. Good luck with the sale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:24 am 

Hello
You should be able to get $100 for the Boston 5.5's if you have the tweeters and crossovers, those were around $700 at the time and still one of my favorites. The Nakamichi is nice but wasn't very popular so I would expect too much for it. Is the PLD-1 white, grey or black? They had a few revisions of it when they changed their ZX series styling. The 4x6 plates would be $15-20, Kicker sub maybe $50 but probably less unless it is in a box, the RF 75HD could be anywhere from $50-$120 depending on condition and if you have the harness for it.

As luxmanfan said $200 to $250 would be expected.
Good luck, J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 am 

I have to agree with mortron, used car audio usually sells for a small fraction of the original price. Yes, a car is a much tougher environment than the home. The result, much more wear & tear. When I sold my friend's car audio, he got about 20% of new or less. He had spent $5000 on it new.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:13 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
I have to agree with mortron, used car audio usually sells for a small fraction of the original price. Yes, a car is a much tougher environment than the home. The result, much more wear & tear. When I sold my friend's car audio, he got about 20% of new or less. He had spent $5000 on it new.

It's crazy what you can get for $500 USD from some retailers... the cost of production and sourcing of parts has really changed in 20 years, to the point that older car audio gear is a hard sell.

That said, there was a member on here who insisted on period correct car audio gear, and dropped like $700 on a 20+ year old head unit... so the buyers are out there. I would advertise in Car Audio forums or on eBay. The bigger the reach the better the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:14 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

I had some car audio from the early 90's in my garage that came out of an older car.
When I did my current install, decided not to use any of it.
Went down the same road to try an value it.
Ended up putting it on Ebay with a starting bid of a penny for each piece.
Some of it got decent money, others not so much, but at least everything went to happy homes, and I avoided the idiot tire kickers and nickle/dimers from Kijiji.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:37 am 

mortron wrote:
Vinyl Guy wrote:

It's crazy what you can get for $500 USD from some retailers... the cost of production and sourcing of parts has really changed in 20 years, to the point that older car audio gear is a hard sell.

That said, there was a member on here who insisted on period correct car audio gear, and dropped like $700 on a 20+ year old head unit... so the buyers are out there. I would advertise in Car Audio forums or on eBay. The bigger the reach the better the chance.

Yep, I bought a new Rockford punch amp, Orion crossover, Soundstream line level converter and Pioneer separates(TS-D series, surprisingly good) and 6x9's, all for under 900 CDN, including amp and speaker wiring. The prices blew me away and the SQ is quite nice. Those Punch amps are a bargain these days.

Albert Einstein