Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:56 pm 

I am trying to find a replacement for my GMC head unit on my 2008 GMC Sierra HD. The head unit I have is a NAV unit with the ability to play DVD's on the overhead DVD player.
Suggestions of makers or models that would work in my truck? I want all the existing gear to work as it has.
I'm not looking to buy from this board I'm just trying to find the product that will work.

My apologies if my first post was too close to a "Want Ad", I want help and suggestions. I have scoured the truck boards trying to find the correct fix. I figured this being a high end audiophile board, someone would be kind enough to share information.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:26 pm 

I was too hasty stating this is not a car parts site/forum. Technically you did ask about a dvd player overhead unit so.. that's audio of course. Looks like one of the CAM members offered up a solution.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Fri May 06, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:08 pm 

Try contacting Crutchfield. They were very helpful to me once (many years ago). There is an Expert Advisor #: 1-800-297-9469.
Good luck.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Car_Audio_Video_s/51.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 pm 

Well, I guess I have learned that I'm not welcome on the forum board. Thanks for pointing this out so quickly everyone, admin included.

To the one person that did help and make a suggestion I thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:35 pm 

If there's something wrong with your existing unit I'd just put a wanted ad up on kijiji and call auto wreckers ... Or are you looking to upgrade yet keep all the functionality ?

Last edited by mikeybc on Fri May 06, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:41 pm 

Umm...the. CAM I belong to wouldn't let a new member go away with this kind of bad taste in his mouth. WTF, fellow CAMers? It's a perfectly reasonable question, and don't tell me there aren't car audio people on here--it's even got its own section in the classifieds.

Pretty sure we can do better than this kind of dismissive, self-important puffery.

Not CAM's finest hour and I, at the moment, am not particularly proud to be a member. And if admin is a party to this, I'm doubly ashamed.

Don't give up on the site, DaneNav. Most of us aren't dicks.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:43 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
this is not a car parts website..

Its posted under car audio what's the problem?

Try this
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i260 ... adios.html

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:45 pm 

My God! I said "dicks"! And it LET me!!

Amazing.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:47 pm 

Call the dealer and be done with it..

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:54 pm 

One more point: with the high end--nay, audio in general--in decline, we are NOT in a position to be driving interested new people away like this.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:59 pm 

kvn63 wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:
this is not a car parts website..

Its posted under car audio what's the problem?

Burn.

I agree with placing an ad on kijiji or calling local yards if you can't locate the needed unit.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:00 pm 

Hey DaneNav, where's Caribou Island Nova Scotia. Sounds like an interesting place.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:36 pm 

I came back out of curiosity to see it I got beat up in webspace, I didn't. Thanks everyone.

Thank you for the advice everyone on this head unit. I was hoping for a modern replacement instead of replacing for stock again. They are an expensive POS with very poor graphics for the NAV. No Bluetooth, it's ancient, 2008. It is a tricky unit to replace and to replace and get all the integrated functions back that are in the truck.
I have tried over the years to find a better solution but my old truck is becoming obsolete and I'm thinking it may get harder to find a solution. I'm not getting rid of the truck. I'm amazed that there has not been an aftermarket product that will replace this head unit, or one that I'm aware of. I have asked shops and I get blank stares when I ask about all the original integrated features working. Oh well.

Caribou Island is a small strip of land on the north shore of Nova Scotia. It is the area where the ferry runs from NS to PEI. The ferry runs from the back side of my house, rounds the point at the lighthouse and heads north to Wood Islands PEI crossing the front side of my house.

Thank you for your assistance.

Dane

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:52 pm 
Premium User

dc23 wrote:
Umm...the. CAM I belong to wouldn't let a new member go away with this kind of bad taste in his mouth. WTF, fellow CAMers? It's a perfectly reasonable question, and don't tell me there aren't car audio people on here--it's even got its own section in the classifieds.

Pretty sure we can do better than this kind of dismissive, self-important puffery.

Not CAM's finest hour and I, at the moment, am not particularly proud to be a member. And if admin is a party to this, I'm doubly ashamed.

Don't give up on the site, DaneNav. Most of us aren't dicks.

CAM has rules dc23, and they apply equally to everyone. CAM ownership has posted the rules in several places for all to see. CAM has a Forum site for discussions and a Classifieds Ads site for selling and buying.

Ads to buy or sell are not allowed in the forums, audio discussions are not allowed in the Classifieds under CAM rule A.6. Despite the rules, we still several ads a day from new users who do not read or understand the rules before posting in the forums, some days its dozens and most of them we receive complaints about. Obviously, there are far more For Sale ads than Wanted Ads on both sites. The only exception to this rule is for Paying Dealers who have their own Forum section where they may announce or promote what they want within their own set of rules. Dealers who place any such ads in any other part of the forum receive official warnings (and usually several complaints) and/or have heir posts moved to the Deale Announcements Forum.

A6. No Shilling. Starting a topic to promote your item for sale or purchase either directly or indirectly on CAM forums is forbidden. Unsolicited offers of / for an item you have for sale on CAM as a solution to another member's problem in a thread is forbidden. Private Message is an acceptable way to approach a member to offer your item as a solution to their problem.

In these cases, the poster is advised that his post violates the rule and is invited to use the Classifieds Ads site for this purpose. Posts starting with a specific request such as: Looking for a XXX is clearly a request looking for something, therefore a Wanted Ad. A post starting with: Looking for information about a or: I am trying to find a replacement for are clearly not Wanted Ads. The former belongs in the Classifieds, the latter belong in the Forums.

Seems clear enough.

The Forums have several dozen regular visitors a day, the Classifieds site has several thousand visitors a day. Which one gets more exposure? Aside from this thread, the Car Audio Forum has had a grand total of 3 active threads, 2 of them new from this year with a total of 15 posts (12 in an older thread, 3 in the most recent one).

The bigger problem here is with the wisecracking members who choose to harass or belittle someone who has a valid request posted in the appropriate forum just because they do not approve of that person's choices or type of equipment, be it car audio (as in this case), clock radios or life partners. You are entitled to your opinions as long as they are put forward in a polite, respectful manner.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:08 pm 

OBI56 take yourself a little serious or what? Life partners? Really?

The point of taking it there was what exactly?