Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2015 Ram 1500 audio
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:27 pm 

looking for suggestions on an upgrade on the crappy factory stereo system in my truck. I was quoted around $2000.00 plus tax from my go to home audio stereo shop in Kitchener for Alpine . It means replacing all 4 door speakers as well as the tweeters in the dash ,and an amp and sub. I'm still waiting on a quote from Power Line in Guelph. Any one done the same in their trucks recently??

Regards
GT.

Post subject: Re: 2015 Ram 1500 audio
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:13 pm 

Hi! Have you ever thought of used car audio gear?
You can easily get 4000$ used car audio gear for 2000$! One advise i can give you, is go with Rockford Fosgate, Orion, Phoenix Gold or Precison Power amps. If you want to go with Alpine head unit and speakers
it's OK, but not for amplification.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:25 pm 

try Carphonix in london Gatlin does good work and i think he good better the price you have http://carphonix.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:45 pm 

What version is your factory head unit and is your truck a crew or quad cab? I have a 2013 Ram quad cab with the UConnect 5.0 head unit and am rather pleased with it. If I chose to upgrade my system the first thing I would change is the factory speakers. I would skip the car audio stuff and shop Parts Express for some decent drivers. Not sure of the driver impedance the factory put in but there are a lot of very good 4 and 8 ohm drivers available. You may not even need to add a sub.

Adding an aftermarket head unit would be extremely challenging in a 2013-2015 Ram. Both aesthetically and mechanically. These new trucks are so integrated and computerized with Bluetooth, USB, voice commands etc.

If needed after a driver upgrade a sub could be added. I would advise a custom enclosure under the back seat built by somebody that knows what they are doing.

One option that may be worth exploring is the Mopar parts Kicker speaker and sub upgrade available your dealer. (Car) Lol This would have proven parts that will work with the factory equipment and probably have a decent warranty. You may want to shop online for this as I know a lot of stuff I got for my truck was cheaper over the Net. That said the Canadian dollar has tanked since so it may not be valid anymore.

In 1989 I put a system in my 88 5.0 Mustang that had an aftermarket CD player (Disc man on a gooseneck) which was pretty cutting edge at the time! LOL Added 14 drivers including 2 Cerwin Vega Subs, 3 amps, Kenwood head unit, Nakamichi electronic crossover. Won the Car audio nationals in my power class. Spent $4500 on the stereo in 1989 dollars. Sold car and stereo for $4500 in 2013. You will not get any return on your upgrades. To be honest there were many times I wished I just left the factory system alone. I soldered all my connections and used heat shrink and still had to constantly hunt down humm etc.

That said I still ponder what could be done in my new truck with a mini dsp or several with amps, drivers etc.

Good luck on your upgrade!

Cheers
Derek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:19 pm 

Ex rider sent you a PM.