Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 am 

Hi guys,

wondering if you could shed some incite.

I have a 2003 MB c230 kompressor coupe with a premium BOSE fiber optic OEM stereo system. The head unit is BECKER and it has a 6-disc cd changer in the glove box. The bass is a little weak as it has a small 4 x 6" subwoofer in the side of the rear trunk. It's not bad but my brother wants to give me his vintage Kicker stillwater mid's and tweeters. I'm wondering if you think they would sound better than the BOSE? or just keep the BOSE.

Any incite into how i can get more bass into this fiber optic system without changing the head unit would be really appreciated.

thanks

Attachments:
W203 Bose.jpg
W203 Bose.jpg [ 326.09 KiB | Viewed 4619 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 am 
Premium User

You generally can't make piecemeal changes to a OEM Bose based system, so upgrades are pretty much impossible. Bose factory systems have proprietary equalization for the specific vehicle, and also sometimes have unusual speaker impedances. The real question is do you want to replace the entire factory system?

I was able to change the head unit in my 2004 Audi S4 Bose system using an aftermarket adapter, but it's analog (RCA) based. The required adapter was quite expensive as it has to turn the Audi factory wiring bus into conventional deck wiring, and I suspect MB will require something similar. I made the change to add Bluetooth and NAV functionality, not for sound quality. If I want to take the next step in sound quality, it will mean changing all speakers and the Bose factory amp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:34 am 

The optical fiber is probably just a signal connection between the head and the sub amp. Same as a fiber optic toslink cable but with out the toslink connectors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:36 am 

The fiber only runs between the head unit and amp.
A speaker swap is possible noting impedance but much more looks like some wiring is required.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am 

That's what i thought. It's all or nothing. The designers at MB and BOSE probably spent months figuring out the best sound for this vehicle putting in new speakers may change the dynamics.

If I can only get i little more bass I think that's all i need. Any one add a sub box to their OEM system? and how did you do that, please.

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:23 am 
Premium User

Your only option to add a sub box is to try and pull a high level signal off the factory Bose sub amp. The problem with this approach is that signal probably won't extend down to 20 Hz, as the factory sub is not designed to play that low. Also that signal will be equalized for Bose's choice of crappy woofer. There are expensive solutions that can re-equalize the signal, but that won't help the missing low bass frequencies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:34 am 

I took a meter reading to the BOSE subbox and got a weird ohm reading of 2ohms or something like that...I have a ported wedge type small box with two 8" vintage DENON 4ohm DCS 802W's woofers and a vintage 100w Rockford Fosgate Punch amp, can i not run a separate power direct to the battery and then disconnect the BOSE sub box and tap into the sub box wires somehow?

Attachments:
mFbV0fEV2ziTETclvHmV3Ng.jpg
mFbV0fEV2ziTETclvHmV3Ng.jpg [ 125.64 KiB | Viewed 4528 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:43 am 
Premium User

Did you read my last post? I pointed out exactly what is wrong with trying to use the signal off the Bose sub amp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:51 am 

ah ok, i thought using an external amp to by pass the oem would work but your saying its the eq and crossover stuff...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 am 

No car audio shops in Toronto?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:08 pm 

Sure there are, but one guy quoted me $750 and one guy $3000. As soon as you drive in with a Mercedes, cha ching... I have the parts, and I thought this is something i can DIY.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:24 pm 

Not sure what you mean....it's a 4 figure car.
A grand to put a new system in? Depending on the components that ain'ta whole lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm 

yes this is true, but there is that stigma about mercedes, BMW, porche that people have... new or used, anyway what sort of system could I install for $1000. I would be interested in that...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:38 pm 

You already got 2 quotes....

-- 30 Jun 2015 20:38 --

You already got 2 quotes....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:22 pm 

If it was me and I wanted to upgrade, I would consider the "Mercedes-AMG C 63 S"... now that would be an upgrade!!!

"For music lovers, an available Burmester surround-sound system offers an unparalleled listening experience. Burmester, renowned for the highest quality audio components hand-made in Germany, has designed a system that fills the cabin through 13 heavy-duty loudspeakers (that feature stylish laser perforated speaker grilles). Inputs include an iPod integration, MP3-compatible CD player, radio and Bluetooth. And SiriusXM Satellite Radio, which brings you an unrivalled selection of internet radio plus over 120 channels of music, talk and news."

Burmester > Bose :shock: