Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Need some help...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:26 am 

kcross wrote:
For myself, and mostly on sale, new, and sourced for myself.
Deck - $250 JVC with wolfson dac and every control I need.
Amp - $400 - 5 channel class d sub and a/b for fronts.
Crossover $125 - Kicker 3 way active
Front seperates $200 - Seas tweeters and Scanspeak midwoofers
Sub and box - $200 Infinity Perfect 10
Wiring $50
Total - $1225

Add $400; for labour or diy of course.

But Obi's right, $300 to infinity!

As far as car speakers go I'm wondering if anyone has gone this route. The only scanspeak or seas products I can find are on madisound.com and they're not cheap. Or is it just better to get a set of speakers from JL audio and be done with it?

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:03 pm 

Wow, I guess the car audio section is pretty dead. I'll give this update just for anyone who might read up down the road.

It seems that if you're going to keep your factory head unit, the best sound quality option is to get a "processor", which takes 4 or more of the high level speaker outputs. It can process and you can connect a lap top to make all kinds of adjustments and the end result can be very good(you send the mixed audio to your after market amps/speakers). The Helix and Audison brands seem to be the leaders in this realm although JL Audio and Rockford Fosgate also make good looking units. I didn't go this route.

I kept the factory audio and bought an old school set up. a 4 channel line level converter(Soundstream ICQ4), a 3 way active crossover(Orion XTR-4XR) and a 4 channel amp(Rockford P400x4). These components were all quite cheap on Amazon.com, I also got a mid level pair of Pioneer separates(TS-D1720) and amp install kit all for about $725.

The speaker outputs get stepped down to preamp levels, then sent to the crossover. It separates the highs, mids and low frequencies and sets the gain. each tweeter and midwoofer gets a channel from the amp, and my rear deck 6x9's are still powered from the stock deck. In a few months I'll get another 4 channel amp for new rear door speakers and new 6x9 subwoofers(You can still find them) on the rear deck. I'm not looking for tons of bass but decent SQ all around.

Right now I can get a pretty decent sound, voice and instruments sound much clearer and open. My problem is I don't get anything below 90 Hz. I didn't realize that the crossover will not send a mid+lows signal for the front mids. Not the end of the world, as the stock 6x9s get the full signal, but still. Anyway, I've got the tweeters crossed over at 3500Hz and I'm obviously not using the crossover that came with the Pioneers, which cross them over at 4700Hz. The lower point gives me a lot more voice in the tweeters, and they can take it, they are a bigger tweeter at 1 1/8". The end result is the voice is not down around the knees, but up on top of the dash, as the tweets are mounted in the stock location in the corners of the dash.

I Installed this in my 2014 Altima with the non bose system. I've heard that the import car brands tend to put lesser audio systems in their cars versus the domestic, and I'm not impressed with Nissan's audio choices. The speaker wires are tiny, they've got to be 20awg. The speaker baskets are plastic! And the drivers each have the paper cone/cup for a tweeter. Ugh. The speakers are all 2 ohm, so you can't just upgrade the speakers unless you go for either Infinity or JBL which each make a few 2 ohm varieties.

The head unit is a NAV/audio unit made by Bosch, which seems pretty decent. I'm an old car audio guy who hasn't installed anything in a decade or so, so this has been fun. I researched everything that I was unfamiliar with online, but it's not a project for a newbie. So, it's a work in progress with plans to install subs and rear speakers for fill next year.

Edit: Oh yeah, at that point I will sound treat the front doors too. Still trying to get the skinny on the various products for that, but I'm disenchanted with Dynamat at this point. I had a small chunk left over from my last serious install years ago. I bent it to see what kind of shape it was in and it broke apart in my hands like a cookie. I need something that doesn't degrade like that over time.

Edit: I just realized I have some inaccurate info on the Pioneer crossovers and I never updated this post. They are crossed over around 3000 Hz, and I used that point on the Orion unit to great results.

Albert Einstein

Last edited by runnin on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:45 am 

Forbes_2 wrote:
About $1500-$2000 to start with anything decent.

Amount of bass needed and sq level required eat up $$$

Just as in home audio, anything can go loud. It takes quality power/source/speakers to sound good.

Also, just as in home audio, treating your environment is important. Conditioning your incoming power is too.

When I was young and dumb, I put a $15,000 stereo in my truck. I still have it, and its a ton of fun. I have a McIntosh head unit too :D

Never sell that Mac head unit! They are like a bucktoothed chicken....very rare.

Ive had several HUs i wish id never sold including an original Clarion DRX9255. That thing was a special peice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:43 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

BKSRT8 wrote:
Forbes_2 wrote:
About $1500-$2000 to start with anything decent.

Amount of bass needed and sq level required eat up $$$

Just as in home audio, anything can go loud. It takes quality power/source/speakers to sound good.

Also, just as in home audio, treating your environment is important. Conditioning your incoming power is too.

When I was young and dumb, I put a $15,000 stereo in my truck. I still have it, and its a ton of fun. I have a McIntosh head unit too :D

Never sell that Mac head unit! They are like a bucktoothed chicken....very rare.

Ive had several HUs i wish id never sold including an original Clarion DRX9255. That thing was a special peice.

I did actually sell it. A fellow in BC was really desperate for one, and was a really nice fellow. So I parted with it.
Sad thing is, McIntosh will no longer repair them when the laser inevitably fails.
I remember a beauty Sony deck I had before the McIntosh. It was a straight preamp deck with a copper chassis. Had a nice screen for its time too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:11 am 

I know a guy that had a Sony Es preamp and changer back in the day.....he might still have it. No matter how hard that deck was pushed it wouldnt produce a clipped signal...blew me away lol