Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need some help...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 am 

Would like to have half decent system installed in my car, Does anyone know where I can go for that?
What are my options and how much money I'm looking at?
Would be just electronics I need to get installed or speakers as well?
Some approximate idea of the total cost would be nice.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Need some help...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 am 
Premium User

Half decent is a highly subjective term and can vary enormously from car to car and individual to individual. My half decent can be over the top or woefully inadequate for you. Add to that the wildly varying acoustics of car interiors (makes home listening rooms look like a piece of cake by comparison) and getting s definitive answer to your question becomes a real nightmare.

So, anywhere from $300 to $100k sounds about right!

What car are we talking about and what sort of budget do you think is reasonable? We can get to the more important questions once we get those basics out of the way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:56 am 

For myself, and mostly on sale, new, and sourced for myself.
Deck - $250 JVC with wolfson dac and every control I need.
Amp - $400 - 5 channel class d sub and a/b for fronts.
Crossover $125 - Kicker 3 way active
Front seperates $200 - Seas tweeters and Scanspeak midwoofers
Sub and box - $200 Infinity Perfect 10
Wiring $50
Total - $1225

Add $400; for labour or diy of course.

But Obi's right, $300 to infinity!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:04 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

About $1500-$2000 to start with anything decent.

Amount of bass needed and sq level required eat up $$$

Just as in home audio, anything can go loud. It takes quality power/source/speakers to sound good.

Also, just as in home audio, treating your environment is important. Conditioning your incoming power is too.

When I was young and dumb, I put a $15,000 stereo in my truck. I still have it, and its a ton of fun. I have a McIntosh head unit too :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:20 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Half decent is a highly subjective term and can vary enormously from car to car and individual to individual. My half decent can be over the top or woefully inadequate for you. Add to that the wildly varying acoustics of car interiors (makes home listening rooms look like a piece of cake by comparison) and getting s definitive answer to your question becomes a real nightmare.

What car are we talking about and what sort of budget do you think is reasonable? We can get to the more important questions once we get those basics out of the way.

The budget is about $500.00. It is a Chevy Uplander, has a built in system cd am/fm, and four speakers, and man! it is highly fatigue sounding(Why would they intall four speakers, I think two speakers of have decent quality Towards the rear would be good enough, no?)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 am 
Premium User

naimkid wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

The budget is about $500.00. It is a Chevy Uplander, has a built in system cd am/fm, and four speakers, and man! it is highly fatigue sounding(Why would they intall four speakers, I think two speakers of have decent quality Towards the rear would be good enough, no?)

Some of those factory Delco units are pretty decent (I remember a guy with a stock Delco as his head unit in a vintage Monte-Carlo, but massively upgraded speakers winning a National Auto Sound Championship), but the stock speakers (and their mounting surfaces) are pretty crappy. If you are handy and don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can do some major upgrades (compared to stock) soundwise within your budget, but if you have someone do the install, the improvement will be relatively minimal by comparison.

I'll let someone who actually knows what speakers are in the Uplander give you recommendations as to what you can replace them with, but with your budget, it is going to be tight just to cover the speakers, let alone a modest amp. The Uplander is a big vehicle inside and 4 speakers will barely cut it, it will just plain be overpowering for the passengers closest to them and inaudible for the others (I know because some of the handicapped adapted Uplanders have the rear speakers blocked by a bulkhead and when you are in the back, it is so loud and screechy that you can't hear the outside traffic not the driver who can barely hear them, so he has to crank things up even higher).

One thing to remember; if you want to make sure you don't start butchering and cutting apart you vehicle, double check that your new speakers will actually fit in their original places.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:42 am 

more inportantly than the deck/speakers you choose will be where you have the work done. I have heard many a horror story about audio and remote start instals. Look for refrences there first and then choose the equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
more inportantly than the deck/speakers you choose will be where you have the work done. I have heard many a horror story about audio and remote start instals. Look for refrences there first and then choose the equipment.

I last had a car stereo installed in my new 2000 Honda Civic. The installers drilled a hole through my gas tank when mounting the sub box in the hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:14 pm 

It's not very hard to DIY, if you need some help or pointers I've done about seven or eight cars for family, I'm sure other members have done lots more....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:23 pm 

naimkid wrote:

A few questions:

Is the factory unit a powered unit or is it a head with a factory amp?
DIN, double DIN or some funky custom size?

Does the factory head unit control anything else that you might lose if you replace it like door chimes, Bluetooth, GPS, Climate Control, etc?

How many speakers are currently installed?

Do you want to reuse factory wiring or add new wire?

Are you looking to replace:

1) Head unit

2) Front Speakers

3) Rear speakers

4) Replace/Add Amp

5) Replace/Add Sub

EDIT: Check out some speakers at Solen too, I have no knowledge about their quality, but somewhere else to look outside of the retail trap.

https://solen.ca/pub/index.php?catalog= ... %26s2%3D13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 pm 

Well, a couple things. I'm pretty sure that the Uplander has 4x6.5" speakers, two front and two rear. The factory unit is a double DIN and it doesn't look like there are advanced controls in it, but maybe the door chime.

Another question or two, does the head unit only need CD and radio, or are you looking for features like bluetooth, Ipod connectivity, USB port (recommended), etc.

A couple things that you do need for the install are a wiring harness specific to the unit and a mounting kit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:17 pm 

davidam wrote:
Well, a couple things. I'm pretty sure that the Uplander has 4x6.5" speakers, two front and two rear. The factory unit is a double DIN and it doesn't look like there are advanced controls in it, but maybe the door chime.

Another question or two, does the head unit only need CD and radio, or are you looking for features like bluetooth, Ipod connectivity, USB port (recommended), etc.

A couple things that you do need for the install are a wiring harness specific to the unit and a mounting kit.

the wiring harness is a must if your going the diy route.
makes life all that much easier.
you can find kits at car audio shops that will make it look fairly stock (bezel kit) and will help a lot.

running new speaker wire is prob best, only challenge usually is the damn doors, depending on how the wires are run into them already.

also if your just looking for better sound stick with a 10 inch sub, you wont need anything larger unless you want a lot of boom.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:29 am 

sandstorm wrote:
davidam wrote:

the wiring harness is a must if your going the diy route.
makes life all that much easier.
you can find kits at car audio shops that will make it look fairly stock (bezel kit) and will help a lot.

running new speaker wire is prob best, only challenge usually is the damn doors, depending on how the wires are run into them already.

also if your just looking for better sound stick with a 10 inch sub, you wont need anything larger unless you want a lot of boom.

I found that the car shops I went to around here generally carried Schosche kits at twice the price of the exact kit at WalMart....

I agree with both the 10" and door wire issue, man that can be "fun" :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:23 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Treat the vehicle with sound damping / deadening material before doing anything.
Then, start with the source. That is most often the weak point of most systems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:59 pm 

cableguy wrote:
Treat the vehicle with sound damping / deadening material before doing anything.
Then, start with the source. That is most often the weak point of most systems.

Deadening works wonders for road noise too....

I'm kind of in the market for a pair of 6.5's too, anyone have recommendations for a coaxial set for $100 - $150?