Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: what guage speaker wire
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:11 am 

I'm wondering what's the best guage to use for a 125W 4 channel amp running 4 6.5" 2 way Infinity speakers?

I currently have the 18ga that the stereo shop installed, but i am thinking it's too small. Maybe some 14ga would yield better sound quality?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:30 am 

Maximizing gauge is always a good idea. I use bare wire with 10 gauge, which is the max I can go with my connectors. Larger wire lowers resistance and therefore maximizes conductivity. Having said that, it also largely depends on whether a given wire works well (as in synergy) with your system. But, generally speaking, the above applies. 18 gauge is a bit wimpy, although with shorter residential use applications, may not be too big of a deal either. I use Belden 5000 series 10 gauge which is cheap and of reasonable sound quality (Blue Jeans carries it, as well as Take Five).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:31 am 
Premium User

soundfreak wrote:
I'm wondering what's the best guage to use for a 125W 4 channel amp running 4 6.5" 2 way Infinity speakers?

I currently have the 18ga that the stereo shop installed, but i am thinking it's too small. Maybe some 14ga would yield better sound quality?

thanks

It can actually depend on what type of connections are available on your amp and speakers. Spring-loaded binding posts are notorious for not accepting larger gauge wiring above, say, 16 ga. If you ave 5 way binding posts all around, then the sky is pretty much the limit of the connectors you choose tu use. As for practical gauges, IMO go straight to 12ga, the most commonly available speaker wire. Bogger gauges will increase the grip on the bass (better damping factor) than your thin 18ga.

You don't mention lengths or your budget, but one of the more cost effective choices in good sounding speaker wire is the Axiom superstranded 12ga at around $1 a foot. Other good brands include Belden, Mogami and Cardas. Exotic wiring can easily reach into the $10+ a foot range, so it can get real expensive real fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:35 am 

i would only add..that there are plenty of good deals to be found on quality speaker cables in various lengths, thickness, connectors/terminations right here in the classifieds section of CAM!
i've bought several different sets of speaker cables from CAM members and found them to be excellent values!
best of luck :arrow:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:38 am 

shad40 wrote:
i would only add..that there are plenty of good deals to be found on quality speaker cables in various lengths, thickness, connectors/terminations right here in the classifieds section of CAM!
i've bought several different sets of speaker cables from CAM members and found them to be excellent values!

What do speaker cables have to do with wiring car speakers to a car amplifier?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:42 am 

Hi Loris.
I second what Cyrus and OBI said. 12 gauge is a good starting spot.
Longer the run, the larger the gauge you want.
Although the brand of speaker cable and its affects are highly disputed larger gauge benefits are not disputed as aggressively. Huge difference between 18 gauge and 12. Cheap tweak too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:50 am 

zhenya01 wrote:
shad40 wrote:

How is this relevant?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 am 

zhenya01 wrote:
shad40 wrote:

if your asking a question then it plays the same role as home use.

if not then i agree with "How is this relevant?"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:06 pm 

I try to use 12ga as already mentioned. The amps/speakers I've used all accept 12ga, but have typical barrier-post screw-type connectors. Not sure if newer car gear has spring connectors or binding posts though. I would think the screw connectors, properly torqued (preferably with crimp sleeves crimped correctly onto the wire ends) should be the best in an automotive installation where hot, cold and vibration extremes will work merry havoc with your connections.

As for sound quality, there are so many more factors in a car installation that I wouldn't put too much thought into the wire gauge, except for power.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:14 pm 

Erik wrote:
zhenya01 wrote:
shad40 wrote:

How is this relevant?

It's relevant to a fact that most home speaker cable terminations will not fit anything car-related - be it the amp, the speakers, the external crossovers or the subs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 pm 

most humble apologies for being misunderstood.
was merely stating that perhaps you mind find a suitable item to meet your needs from some fellow CAM member.
carry on ladies and gents.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm 

Thanks guys. I think I will swap in some 14ga - not sure 12ga will fit on the amp and/or the speakers terminals.

Now I either need some warmer weather or a heater in my garage - these -20 temps are too cold! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:32 pm 

zhenya01 wrote:

It's relevant to a fact that most home speaker cable terminations will not fit anything car-related - be it the amp, the speakers, the external crossovers or the subs.

How'd you know that it was a car setup? There was no mention of that.