Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:44 pm 

you could look at the porsche 928's dont go lower then 85 i believe.
ample room for audio and a nice aluminum blocked v8 for power.
very nice looking cars also.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 pm 

there are some nice domestic cars its true.

id qualify that and say there are a lot of fun and interesting domestics.

i dont feel any american car has ever been as all around competent as the 540i i keep going on about, or many other exceptional import designs. american cars are often nice in their way though and i like them too. it depends what one is looking for.

it used to be that old badge engineered american cars had boatloads of parts sitting in wrecking yards at good prices. im not sure that is still the case, though new domestic parts still are likely cheaper than that of most imports.

finding a good mechanic is a whole other thing. no new cars are dirt simple anymore.

no matter what, looking at an old used sports or gt car is going to involve some investment in catching up on repairs, or for premiums charged for prestine examples, and in both cases on keeping it going.

for 30 grand the op has a lot of choices.

-- 06 Aug 2013 20:59 --

spins in a c172-the cessna? (my knowledge of planes is zilch:()

that seems like a frightening proposition. i didnt know that to be a plane used for any sort of dramatic flying.

very cool though. thats a neat culture, to have a plane. i remember reading of the fly ins in oshkosh and thinking how cool that would be.

when i was looking that stuff over years and years back, aerobatic planes were really not too too expensive, i suppose in the way club racing cars and motorcycles arent too too bad, unless you hope to finish at the front.

im jealous!

Last edited by phowell1 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:08 pm 

I see a disparity in recommendations. If you want a quiet ride, but sporty-ish handling have a look at the mentioned BMWs. The E39 five series, '96 to '03, is a favorite of mine, but unless you want a lot of get up and go, stick with the V6 models and avoid the 540i (I owned a 540i and loved it, but the 6 bangers are more reliable). Mercedes are less sporty, but very quiet in the cabin. Domestics can be good, but despite the increased cost of a good mechanic for German, you may find that offset by more frequent trips to the doctor with a similar vintage domestic. If you want a "set it and forget it" car buy Japanese. Japanese cars can also get you the decent handling and sportiness, but they are widely available and cheap used. With your budget you could get something very good from across the Pacific.

If you want extreme quiet, buy Italian (or old British). It's very quiet in the garage with the stereo run from an outboard power supply while you try to troubleshoot the ignition system. Doesn't get you to the shops though.

My car choices are more Teutonic (BMW now. Benz has been disappointing to me). I have an '84 M635CSi, and '86 M5 and an '88 325i cabrio (my wife's - she wanted a Alpha Spyder, but I convinced her to get something that would actually work). The stereo is secondary. The emotion comes from the sound of an M88/3 engine on full song.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 pm 

phowell1 wrote:

spins in a c172-the cessna? (my knowledge of planes is zilch:()

that seems like a frightening proposition. i didnt know that to be a plane used for any sort of dramatic flying.

very cool though. thats a neat culture, to have a plane. i remember reading of the fly ins in oshkosh and thinking how cool that would be.

when i was looking that stuff over years and years back, aerobatic planes were really not too too expensive, i suppose in the way club racing cars and motorcycles arent too too bad, unless you hope to finish at the front.

im jealous!

--

Yes, Cessna. Spins hardly qualify as "dramatic" flying (though it does feel dramatic esp. the first time) and they're included in regular flight training (just so one knows how to recover from them).

Alas, I don't actually own a plane, I just rent them...

-- 06 Aug 2013 21:14 --

Old_School wrote:

If you want extreme quiet, buy Italian (or old British). It's very quiet in the garage with the stereo run from an outboard power supply while you try to troubleshoot the ignition system. Doesn't get you to the shops though.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:28 pm 

Funny post old school, true dat.

I loved those mid 80s 6 series- nice car! A possible aspirational buy for me one day may be an old 3.0cs, which seems to have inspired that car. So beautiful.

To the op, an old m5 would also be a great car if you can find a good one.

Old school which 5 do you prefer, your m5 or your old 540? (Possibly answered by the fact you still own one of them, nevertheless...)

-- 06 Aug 2013 21:28 --

Meraklya I'm still jealous!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:33 pm 

Ive owned BMW and now own a mint Lincoln LS. The Lincoln is actually a quieter
ride and performs every bit as well as the BMW 5 series . I put an after market
double din head unit in it , swapped out the stock speakers for 4 focals and used a
pair of pioneer GM-100 amps to drive them and a GM 50 bridged to drive a kicker
sub. Had the amps for decades and thought why not. Awesome for a car environment
anyway.

If I wanted performance , a luxury sedan and a killer sound system
and could afford it...........
No question , Audi S8 with the upgraded Bang $ Olufsen audio option ($7000).
An expensive land rocket with a killer sound system.
I drove a friends who's has the V10 in it not the current V8 twin turbo.........
Staggering acceleration in a car that weighs as much as some trucks do
and the audio , best I have heard in a car.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:55 pm 

phowell1 wrote:
Funny post old school, true dat.

I loved those mid 80s 6 series- nice car! A possible aspirational buy for me one day may be an old 3.0cs, which seems to have inspired that car. So beautiful.

To the op, an old m5 would also be a great car if you can find a good one.

Old school which 5 do you prefer, your m5 or your old 540? (Possibly answered by the fact you still own one of them, nevertheless...)

The M5 hands down. They squeezed 286 bhp (DIN) out of the M88/3 engine, compared to a similar amount in the 540i with V8, but on a much heavier chassis. For handling and track performance overall I even prefer the 4-door M5 over the M635CSi. Add to that it's one of 588 produced in that variant (Euro spec LHD). Worth the entry for performance and collectability. It helps that I got it for about what the usual price is for a NA-spec E28 M5.

The M635CSi is also one of the early ones, 75 in the VIN range. It needs a lot more work though.

Stereo in the M5 is going to be upgraded as soon as I get it out of storage on return to Canada. It was ex-works without stereo fitted as it was slated for export to Japan. From a period correct aspect it gives me a load of leeway. I have a stack of a/d/s/ amps and speakers and a Nakamichi TD1200 head unit slated for installation. I figure they get pretty close to the "cost no object" stereo install of the mid '80s.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 pm 

sweeeet. so so nice. ive been out of and away from cars and bikes for a long time, but have an urge to check this stuff out again.

also noticed that all the bikes i lusted after or owned in the day are similarly discounted (with the exception of the two strokes ( :shock: )). as soon as finances allow im going shopping.

(also yes, e39. sorry)

-- 06 Aug 2013 22:10 --

sweeeet. so so nice. ive been out of and away from cars and bikes for a long time, but have an urge to check this stuff out again.

also noticed that all the bikes i lusted after or owned in the day are similarly discounted (with the exception of the two strokes ( :shock: )). as soon as finances allow im going shopping.

(also yes, e39. sorry)

-- 06 Aug 2013 22:19 --

hey op, just searching, theres a 2003 m5 available for 12 g.

has only 115 k on it.

its in halifax. that would be a stellar road trip.

http://autocatch.com/used-cars/2003~bmw~m5~979948.htm

thats a killer car.

-- 06 Aug 2013 22:20 --

hey op, just searching, theres a 2003 m5 available for 12 g.

has only 115 k on it.

its in halifax. that would be a stellar road trip.

http://autocatch.com/used-cars/2003~bmw~m5~979948.htm

thats a killer car.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:40 am 

While it can't beat the handling of a BMW or a Porsche, a previous generation Aucra TL S Spec with the ELS DVD-A surround system should give you plenty of fun at very reduced price. Not truly a sport car but close with a few mods and comfy/roomy. Or you can get an unreliable boat made by one of the 3 bankrupt giants and convince yourself it drives tight because it has plenty of HP on paper and even "beats a BMW on a straight line" (exception made of a few exotic over-priced models). Audio-wise, Audi stock system is pretty good too, a TTS should give you some kick. I agree with one post that German after warranty gets very pricey to maintain, I got caught twice (slow learner)....I disgress. While premium systems sound great, I wouldn't make it a priority in choosing a sport car....Munich handling or die!

Last edited by Audiofils on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 am 

BMW 740Li, quietest car and best classical I have ever heard in a car.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 pm 

I very nearly bought Lexus IS350 with a Levinson system a few years ago but scrapped the deal after 2 trips to T.O. and several weeks of waiting for a botched recall that required a new cylinder head and #6 cylinder to be shipped from Japan to be repaired by the dealer. The Levinson is pretty good as stock systems go.

Some VW's have a Dynaudio option which I haven't heard which seems to get good but not great reviews.

Prestige-level Audi's get the B&O system which I have heard but only during conversation in transit so can't really comment on the sound quality. The stock system on more recent 3-series BMW's using Harmon Kardon speakers is probably the best base level stock system you will find. The upgraded Logic7 system adds 3 more speakers and is very good for a stock system. Further up the chain is the BMW audiophile sound system which uses soft-dome tweeters and kevlar woofers made by LPG from Germany. This is the best stock system I've heard.

FWIW, I find systems that have a centre channel speaker in the dash to have a much better soundstage (as car systems go) compared to those that don't. The sound is more seemless across the front and less obviously coming at you from off angles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:42 am 

Maybe worth finding the best car audio shop in your area and asking them about the best and worst cars for aftermarket audio installations? I would expect they'd have some thoughts there.

Figure on $5000 tax-in for a good system including labor, wiring, tax. That may be conservatively high but I doubt you'll get much for $1000. I kept the factory head unit in my truck to help deter theft. Be sure to get remote sub level control installed near the driver's seat.

I think some costs were:
Amp $800
Speakers $1000 (1 pr component & 1 pr coaxial - 5 or 6 inch round)
Sub $300
Decoder $200 (?)
Labor $1200

Personally, I'm done with used German cars. Too expensive to maintain. Experience with Audi, BMW and VW. Sure, they're nice to drive but so are a lot of cars. After a while, the new car becomes just "the car" and you just want to drive it rather than wait while it's getting yet another $2000 repair. Spent $10k on an E36 Bimmer over the course 18 months a few years ago...and had a Passat wagon with 28 workorders in 42 months (total of 38 issues). At least that POS had warranty. Yup, there's a reason why they lost 2 world wars...

We picked up a 2008 Infiniti G35X sedan last year with 91000 kms for $17 plus tax. All wheel drive with 306 hp - it's a rocket that can also handle snow. It's also very roomy for a Japanese car. I'm 6'3", 240 lbs and it's extremely comfortable plus a Consumer Reports used car best buy. No issues in the first 11 months.

Hope that helps!

-- 14 Aug 2013 10:46 --

P.S. The system in my truck destroys any factory system I have heard. Audison amp and Hertz speakers.

Have not heard the B&O in the A8.

Wifey had Harman Kardon in 2004 BMW 325. Think Bambi vs. Godzilla...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:23 am 

Small spaces such as interior of car have awful acoustic characteristics, regardless of interior fittings. Any car system that sounds good is actually EQ'd heavily, so high quality components wont necessarily provide good results without eq. Look for any vehicle that includes a Harman engineered system, such as JBL, Levinson, Infinity. These systems are carefully engineered to have good functional performance, although default settings in car are usually set for disco thump and sizzle. Bose auto is made very much to a price. The hidden eq settings in my Volvo allowed a fairly decent overall sound from a factory Harman system. The Dynaudio Volvo option is rare and was expensive, nice tho.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

ANY CAR CAN SOUND GOOD.

Some cars require more work to get good sound out of them.

A talented installer will know how to get the best out of any car.
Been there! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 am 

I wonder about the Fender option in the new Turbo Beetle.... anyone heard it?