Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 pm 

I haven't been able to find much information on this yet, as the vehicle is not yet released, but could be an interesting addition to higher-end stock car audio systems.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:03 am 

Considering how good their ELS sound system is, I am quite skeptical that it can further be substantially improved before hitting a wall due to the absolute car audio constraint: road/wind noise.
I could say the same for the car: what will it bring over and above a fully equipped Elite TL SH-AWD???
TL/RLX.....RDX/MDX.....Acura is offering strangely close vehicles in terms of size/features. But I disgress....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 am 

At this year's auto show I was standing near the GM booth and as they started their embarassingly bad "show" I looked up at the PA speakers. They said Krell on them. Looks like they've branched out. I had their integrated on a short list until I found out it is no longer American made. I am sure the Krell car stereo sounds fine but most premium cars have very fine stereos now. Even my friends VW Passat has an incredible one from Dynaudio. Our MB has h/k. My brother-in-law's Lexus I believe has one from Mark Levinson (I think they are also part of Harman now).

Krell is no longer the same company as the legendary one from the dawn of high end. Not sure what to make of their move into car hifi. Mac was owned by Clarion for a while and tried to break into the car-fi business too.

BTW agree about the odd Acura line up. Not a fan of that odd looking front end either, thought the cars are generally nicely styled. I am a Honda fan and my favourite vehicle from Acura is the TSX.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 am 
Premium User

Audiofils wrote:
Considering how good their ELS sound system is, I am quite skeptical that it can further be substantially improved before hitting a wall due to the absolute car audio constraint: road/wind noise.
I could say the same for the car: what will it bring over and above a fully equipped Elite TL SH-AWD???
TL/RLX.....RDX/MDX.....Acura is offering strangely close vehicles in terms of size/features. But I disgress....

If you want the SH-AWD on the new RLX, forget it. The new RLX is much bigger in the back seat area, much quieter, plusher and wallows in the same way the old Caddy barges from the 60s did. No more sharp handling, no more firm Germanic type seating; even the styling has been made more benign (if that was even possible) and finally that gawdawful chrome beak the size of a Peterbilt truck is gone. Acura seems to have gone the "Isolation Chamber on wheels" route with this one, which can only be a good thing for the audio systems, but a bad thing for drivers actually trying to pay attention to everything around them.

The removal of the AWD, even as an option, is rather counter market, as AWD outsells RWD or FWD cars by a significant factor in its luxury market competitors (Audi A6, Cadillac XTS, Benz E Class), but it you must have an RLX with a sort of AWD system, you will have to wait at least another year for the Sport Hybrid version with conventional power to the front wheels and electric power to the rear wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 am 

Krell just figured out what Monster Cable is already doing. It is more profitable to service the mid-fi market than the hi-fi market. Monster Cable used to build very good cables in the mid 80's early 90s but then branched out to offering products in Future Shop. They probably came to the conclusion that the profits are bigger in the mid-fi camp.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:24 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Audiofils wrote:

If you want the SH-AWD on the new RLX, forget it. The new RLX is much bigger in the back seat area, much quieter, plusher and wallows in the same way the old Caddy barges from the 60s did. No more sharp handling, no more firm Germanic type seating; even the styling has been made more benign (if that was even possible) and finally that gawdawful chrome beak the size of a Peterbilt truck is gone. Acura seems to have gone the "Isolation Chamber on wheels" route with this one, which can only be a good thing for the audio systems, but a bad thing for drivers actually trying to pay attention to everything around them.

The removal of the AWD, even as an option, is rather counter market, as AWD outsells RWD or FWD cars by a significant factor in its luxury market competitors (Audi A6, Cadillac XTS, Benz E Class), but it you must have an RLX with a sort of AWD system, you will have to wait at least another year for the Sport Hybrid version with conventional power to the front wheels and electric power to the rear wheels.

Thanks for the precisions..in that case, without AWD, the Hyundai Genesis R may be what the doc ordered!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 am 

This is the Acura I would like to own (I guess now considered "vintage")....don't care what audio system is installed.

Attachments:
nsx.jpg
nsx.jpg [ 118.33 KiB | Viewed 4537 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 am 

Dan D'agostino once said Krell would never make car audio. Now that Krell is owned by an investment company that has changed. A representative from Harman that I met at an audio show once told me the auto division was the only part of the company that was making money. It's no guarantee of quality though, the "Mark Levinson" stereo in my Lexus is mediocre at best, has a poor reputation for reliability and is no match for the audio system in my wife's RDX. Great car though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:32 am 

OBI56 wrote:

Good point. This really odd. That was one of the few things the big Acura had going for it. They sell only a few dozen of these in Canada anyway. It is good they are going for quieter since that big Acura was a long way off from the big Lexus in quietness. No point putting in great hifi if you can't hear it. I wish they would bring the Legend name back though. Loved the Gen1.

There are so many luxury/near luxury cars out there. And with used programs, you can get a certified premium car for the price of a new non premium. We went certified pre-owned on our 18 month old MB B Class. It cost the same as the new well equiped Matrix that we were considering and the same as our 8 year old base Camry, which we bought new in 2005. So much choice.

One issue is that you often have to get other crap to get the better stereo on the non premium cars. These odd packages often make the premium car a better buy. I would rather buy a TSX than a nice Accord. Plus resale is often better on the premium stuff.

We only recently started buying slightly better cars. We used to buy bottom of the line compacts, drive them into the ground, repeat again. Our basic Camry was such a big step up and Toyota always seems to put a decent basic sound system in (Panasonic I'm guessing).

Saw Jag recently switched from B&W to Meridian. I know Porsche uses Burmester. What other high end brands are in car audio?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 am 

I think Acura sold about a dozen of the last RL series in Canada in it's final year. The dealers were hoping for a V8, something to actually compete with BMW /Audi performance. I was always a Honda guy, I still have a Pilot and one of my sons has a 2005 Civic with >400K kms on it. I doubt this RLX thing will sell, and I doubt that audio will be any better than the Logic 7 in my 9 year old 545. Ironically my 5er gets better mileage than anything else in our driveway, it's a cannon power-wise and repairs in a good indy shop are more than reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 am 

I've got a RL. It has a Bose system in it. :shock: It actually sounds ok, and I'm not judging a car by it's stereo system.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 am 

The RLX is not terribly distintive - looks like an Infiniti.

BTW anyone seen the compact ILX. Yikes! I think the old badge engineered EL/CSX was a better idea. At least it was cheap. ILX has to compete with MB B, Audi A3, and Lexus CT.

Yeah.......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 am 

We had a loaner Honda Civic Touring for a day last week. I have to say it was a very impressive car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:44 am 

selkirk wrote:
This is the Acura I would like to own (I guess now considered "vintage")....don't care what audio system is installed.

The NSX and S2000 will always be my favorite Honda cars..BTW the NSX comes with a bose stereo with an external 6 disc changer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
We had a loaner Honda Civic Touring for a day last week. I have to say it was a very impressive car.

The refresh is really nice. Good size too. Looks bigger than our old 1991 Accord.