Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:40 pm 

You guys have fun with your type-R stuff, but type-X is where it was really at. Had a nice system in my Civic a couple of Civics ago. Alpine deck, MBQuart separates in the front doors, bi-amped by a 4x75 wpc Cadence amp, Alpine m1000 amp driving a 10-inch Alpine type-X in a .66 cu ft sealed box. Astounding sub. Loved a thousand watts. Actually went deeper than the 12-inch next generation version. I genuinely frightened myself with it on more than one occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:42 pm 

Has anyone ever heard the B & O systems in Audi or Mark Levinson in Lexus? Dare to make comments too?

The stock system in my new to me CR-V is staying. I might put in a sub for extra boom but that would be it. I owned a few supposedly higher end systems (Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, JBL etc) and never told my wife how much I really spent. Not worth it when classical music or talk radio is the main listening diet. There is too much noise and can become distracting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:56 pm 

I got a new Mercedes C400 with the Burmester system in it and one of the best audio systems I have had in all my Mercedes and BMW's over the years/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:15 pm 

My 09 Tribute GT (Escape) as stock has a 175 watt amplifier, a sub, an aux, six disc, and 6 speakers. No problems driving anywhere with it tune-wise! While not as transparent or fluid (other things too) as the home system it does surprisingly well and is easily the best car system I have ever had. I bet it is just a Philco - is that the old Ford stereo system name?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 am 

Oh yes..... I love taking a long trip with good tunes blazing away. I have some Focal Utopia speakers that I bought on eBay. I'm making pods for them in the door sill by my feet. They will replace the Kevlar ones already there. I'm using an unusual method to build the pods and will elaborate if there is interest. I detest working with fibreglass so I'm using an artist's quality paper mache material that is surprisingly robust and has many properties lending itself well for this use. Not the least is vibration damping.

The car is a Saab 9-5 with the Prestige sound system.

I'm attempting to modify the stock head unit to accept an external source. I'm also wiring L-R centre rear speaker into the system which has the effect of capturing the ambient sounds of the recording giving enhanced depth. Like surround sound. I'm keeping the amp stock for now.

I took a trip to Ontario (from BC) this past fall and the system rocked!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:42 am 

Motorhomes can have large audio systems
Very enjoyable when parked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am 

arvidien wrote:
Has anyone ever heard the B & O systems in Audi or Mark Levinson in Lexus? Dare to make comments too?

I've heard both briefly, they were both pretty decent from what I recall. Levinson was in a SC430 years back & the B&O was the 6.5K option in the Audi S7. The owner of the s7 claimed it was the best car audio system he has heard/owned (has owned numerous higher end cars & the SC430 was his wife's years back).

Personally I use to be into high end car audio, but as the home systems kept improving the car system kept sounding worse & worse. So I no longer bother & 90% of the time now don't even have any audio on while driving.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:06 am 

heartland wrote:
Oh yes..... I love taking a long trip with good tunes blazing away. I have some Focal Utopia speakers that I bought on eBay. I'm making pods for them in the door sill by my feet. They will replace the Kevlar ones already there. I'm using an unusual method to build the pods and will elaborate if there is interest. I detest working with fibreglass so I'm using an artist's quality paper mache material that is surprisingly robust and has many properties lending itself well for this use. Not the least is vibration damping.

The car is a Saab 9-5 with the Prestige sound system.

I'm attempting to modify the stock head unit to accept an external source. I'm also wiring L-R centre rear speaker into the system which has the effect of capturing the ambient sounds of the recording giving enhanced depth. Like surround sound. I'm keeping the amp stock for now.

I took a trip to Ontario (from BC) this past fall and the system rocked!

I would be interested!

Have you looked into the JBL MS8 processor?

It can output a center channel (from a 2ch source), has an AUX in, and is designed to work with stock decks/amps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:17 am 

arvidien wrote:

The stock system in my new to me CR-V is staying. I might put in a sub for extra boom but that would be it. I owned a few supposedly higher end systems (Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, JBL etc) and never told my wife how much I really spent. Not worth it when classical music or talk radio is the main listening diet. There is too much noise and can become distracting.

The B&W X6 that my friend drive has the B&O stereo system on it. Soundwise it's very clean and cohesive, which is similar sounding to the B&W X5 B&O stereo system that I used to drive. I'm driving an infiniti car now and it's equipped with Bose stereo system. The Bose stereo system to me does everything well together, but it's not as organize sounding as the B&O.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:18 am 

I'd guess that most home audio enthusiasts are NOT into car audio. In the car you have ambient noises intruding on you, and a car interior is a lousy listening environment. Oddly shaped and surrounded by glass. :( I used to be into car audio and it was fun for a while. But I didn't like the added weight and lost trunk space so I eventually stripped it all out. And modern cars come with nice infotainment systems so there's not much opportunity to do any upgrades.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:05 am 

My Infiniti has a stock BOSE system, I am not a BOSE fan (I consider them to be an unethical rip off for the most part), but the acoustics in a car are radically different than a room and the system does a good job there.
I just hate seeing the BOSE name reflecting off the rear window when I look in my rear view mirror.

I replaced a dead Nakamichi system in a (mint) Lexus SC400 with a Clarion system and it performed very well until I got rear ended and the car was written off.

:(

Not sure if I qualify as an audiophile though. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:56 am 

I don't have a high end audio system in my car no.

My 2009 Fusion has the stock "audiophile" system. Components up front, door speakers in the rear, and 2 6x9 "subs" in the rear deck. I removed the stock subs. I added a Clarion amp with remote gain, and a sealed Orion 12 in the trunk.

Good enough, and a little bass tickle when I want it.

Wife's Acura RDX is stock. That sub sucks. Wish there was a simple replacement, but I doubt anything I would want will fit in the stock location...

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:59 pm 

OEM Subaru Harman Kardon. I'm not really an audiophile though...

Then there's the done up summer car...the exhaust is way too loud to enjoy the sound system

Attachments:
20160909_124556.jpg
20160909_124556.jpg [ 132.3 KiB | Viewed 378 times ]

Last edited by racecars on Sat May 27, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:05 pm 
Premium User

Yes.In some ways it is more important for me to have a good system in my vehicles. When life starts to suck and home is a little to chaotic, I jump in the truck and go for a long drive. I live near Ottawa, so usually head to Montreal for a smoked meat.

The last two vehicles I have owned were trucks. 2012 Denali with a Bose system. Sounded very good. My latest is a 2014 Ram Sport with a Alpine system with 10 speakers. I don't know how Alpine does it. But they can make MP3's sound good.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:09 pm 

arvidien wrote:

My wife and I both drive Lexus and the ML systems in each are quite good. Easily the best factory stock system ive heard. (Although I have yet to hear burmester)

The Focal/Clarion system from my last car is now in storage since purchasing a Lexus with ML.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next