Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:26 am 

gascho wrote:
meraklya wrote:
gascho wrote:

The Audi S3 literally has the same engine as the Golf R as well as the same floor space. I've driven both- prefer the Golf R. The S3 is phenomenal, just not worth an extra 10k for those fancy rings on the front.

Except you can't get B & O in the R :(

I've listened to it in the A3 & A4, it is most excellent (not that the "base" system is bad)

True! But I believe the B&O is a closer to $4k, while the media package is just over $2k for the R and includes the NAV and LED lights. I swear I don't work for VW.. haha just love that car so much. The B&O system is pretty great though, looks way better too.

The control panel of B & O with its pretty bass & violin key icons is to die for :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:41 am 

meraklya wrote:

The control panel of B & O with its pretty bass & violin key icons is to die for :mrgreen:

Hey- at that price point its all about the details. I remember the first time I saw the tweeters mechanically raise up out of the dash on the Audi S8. It's a beautiful thing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:08 am 

OBI56 wrote:
JBLman wrote:
For my cars, why bother. Dial in tire noise, engine noise, somewhat aggressive driving practices and music for me is background. With a steering wheel, 3 pedals, shift lever and a lot going around you, who has time to listen to music critically in a car. I have Bose systems in our Miata and 370Z. Our VW Jetta wagon (TDI polluter) has whatever system VW installed in 2009. I have a 2016 VW Golf R coming in next week. VW Canada is offering a $2K discount to those who already have an affected TDI and are considering getting another VW. The Golf R will have one of those "Fender" sound systems. It will also have lots of tire and engine noise along with 3 pedals and a shift lever to keep me occupied when going down the road.

Thank you,

JBLman (& Acoustat man) :D

Back in 2009, were VW still using the Monsoon systems? If so, whatever became of Monsoon?

My Pontiac Solstice GXP has a Monsoon audio system and it sounds great as do my Monsoon 2.1 computer. Speakers. I'm not sure what happened to Monsoon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:15 pm 

1000 watts to dual ohm alpine type r.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 pm 

When I bought my vintage 1985 Mercedes Benz 500 SEC from California it came with a 20,000 USD stereo built-in. The sound was just amazing since the car's sound proofing was first class and at cruising speed the car mostly operated at 1000 to 1500 rpm. The previous owner of the car had a stereo chain in the states and therefore never paid full price. The only other cars that have come close to this quality of sound are both a Lexus LS400 and a BMW 740 IL

Although my current car's stereo is very good, the engine noise seems to dominate........but we all have to make sacrifices at times as audiophile.

Last edited by JUDE on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:49 pm 

alpine!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 pm 

chuttt wrote:
Well that's why I bought a Lexus it's so quiet that listening to music become enjoyable again.

Exactly what i did, and now I mostly just listen to the the Comedy Channels on Satellite Radio.

The advantage of owning a Lexus (I have a 460 and had a 430 before that) is that they are so quiet inside that you can actually listen to whatever you want and it is both clearly audible and sounds half decent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:38 am 

Bill 310 wrote:
chuttt wrote:
Well that's why I bought a Lexus it's so quiet that listening to music become enjoyable again.

Exactly what i did, and now I mostly just listen to the the Comedy Channels on Satellite Radio.

The advantage of owning a Lexus (I have a 460 and had a 430 before that) is that they are so quiet inside that you can actually listen to whatever you want and it is both clearly audible and sounds half decent.

My 11 Charger is like that. My wheel bearings are toast in the front so all you can hear is them howling away but its normally way too quiet. Its very easy to fall asleep in.

My F350 on the othsr hand, is far from quiet and quite difficult to fall asleep in or around lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:42 am 

Used to compete in s.q. competition,but took early retirement and sold competition truck with system.
Rediscovered home audio using vinyl in dedicated listening room,my newer truck has stock system since I don't spend much time in it.
My wife's Mazda 3 has Alpine 9887 h.u.,hertz hi energy comps.in heavily treated doors,2 Alpine PDX amps and 10 inch JL sub,so I use it for music on the road.
But since returning to home analog system,the cars digital sounds harsh and brings on listening fatigue after about a half hour of higher volume.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:56 am 

My car has one of the worst factory audio systems I've ever heard! I want to upgrade everything but I'm hesitant to get rid of the headunit because it's got factory nav.

I also can't figure out the settings because instead of bass/treble there's band 1, 2, 3 and 4 and I'm not smart enough to figure it out haha.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:05 am 

dethrock wrote:
My car has one of the worst factory audio systems I've ever heard! I want to upgrade everything but I'm hesitant to get rid of the headunit because it's got factory nav.
l

Sounds like the factory Harman Kardon system in my Mercedes ML! It's crappy at best and the bass is so overpowered and bloated that it's unlistenable. All I ever do is listen at low volumes and the Comand system is almost unusable without a touch screen. What good is NAV without a touch screen anyway?

I sense a new complete car audio system in my future ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:14 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

My cd/dvd/nav head unit can play up to 24/192 flac via usb. I use the Audioquest Jittterbug inline with my usb stick containing my flac files. Very nice improvement. No fatigue! Mind you, my aftermarket system is quite good, but the Jitterbug was a noteable improvement. So, for anyone listening via usb, I highly recommend getting one.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:43 am 

petersch wrote:
dethrock wrote:
l

Sounds like the factory Harman Kardon system in my Mercedes ML! It's crappy at best and the bass is so overpowered and bloated that it's unlistenable. All I ever do is listen at low volumes and the Comand system is almost unusable without a touch screen. What good is NAV without a touch screen anyway?

I sense a new complete car audio system in my future ...

There's no branding on mine but from what I've read it's Harmon Kardon! I've got a '09 Subaru WRX STI. I'll upgrade the audio eventually but right now I'm more interested in some decent performance mods.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 pm 

gascho wrote:
My 2015 VW came with the Fender audio system. It is surprisingly good, and functions better than any of the car systems I put together myself. Someone else already took way more time, effort, and money than I would have to make sure it worked well in the car. I like it even better than the Harmon Kardon found in Mercedes. The Burmester system is maybe the only car audio system that would top it that is from the car manufacturer.

I'm surprised this is the only mention of Burmester Audio in a car, but I guess audiophiles aren't really buying Porsches. They spend all their money on audio gear instead!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:00 am 

I upgrade ever car I own. From my 92 Camry, 97 Jetta, 01 jetta, 04 545i and current 328 and Cayman. The past three I kept the oem head unit. Learning more and more about getting the most of the oem system even if it has its own dsp system.

My 545i was a big learning curve since it had a factory dsp. Wasn't thrilled with results.

Manufacturers are introducing better products though. The latest is from JL audio and their Clean Sweep. Simple de-eq to sum up the signals from the oem and produce a flat sound to send to amps and aftermarket speakers. From there some basic dampening of the doors and the sound is greatly improved.

My 328i I used a full dsp from alpine. Way better tuning options since the car is a bit quieter to appreciate. The Cayman and JL piece I just wanted better amps and speakers but the car/engine is the main focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next