Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:16 am 

I have a 2007 Accord that [for some strange reason] isn't fitted with jack to directly plug in a iPhone (or other portable player). It does however have an Aux button on the stereo that I understand is intended to support things like CD stackers.

I did a bit of research on this and discover there is new product category called Aux Input Adapters (AIA) that utilize the Aux input for protable products. For the iPhone/iPod market there are even AIAs that support USB connection for charging the device, getting better audio (takes digital feed from the iPod, etc.), and even some to control the iPod from the car's stereo control.

I'm currently using a FM transmitter based product but find the audio less than idea due to noise and static. I would like to try a fairly simple AIA that just gives a jack for plugging in the audio feed from my iPhone.

I was wondering if there are members who have experience either installing these things themselves or know of outfits that do it for a reasonable price? (I already tried my dealership, they work with a third party but the price was way of the scale.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:36 am 

Try this link (this one is for Honda/Acura) : http://gromaudio.com/store/all-mbus.html

I got them through eBay and bought an adapter for my old bimmer.

The installation of that varies quite a bit by car models. For mine it's plugged from the CD changer slot in my trunk and I have to remove the back seat of my car etc. Like an hour of work but I learnt something too. Some of the others maybe more direct with the in dash player. It varies.

The price is reasonable. If you only need Aux it's like US$60-70. Sound quality wise it's for sure much better than FM transmitter in terms of noise and interference. But of course nothing audiophile quality. It's decent in low-mid volume but you'll hear distortion when the vol turned high. But overall it's pretty good.

These kinda thing are diminishing these days as almost all new cars are at least equipped with Aux input now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 am 

My Toyota had an optional iPod cable that I had them install when I purchased the car. They were asking $200 installed just for the cable but I managed to convince them to put it in for half that amount. It has the iPod 30 pin connector and we are able to control the iPod with the car stereo and we can select playlists as long as they are called "Toyota1, Toyota2", ect ,up to 6 playists.
Works great and we use it all the time.
I imagine one could purchase this cable and install it themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 am 

Thanks, I'll check it out.

OH BTW, I have discovered a few little tricks for playing loud without the audio cracking up badly (granted not connecting same way but might still apply) . The first is easy, always have the iPhone volume backed away from max. by 1-2 steps. The other, which is more important, is to set the iPod EQ (via Settings) to Bass Reducer (and turn up the car stereos' bass level to compensate). The second makes a big difference, I have no idea why, but whatever works...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 am 

I know that an AIA is available as a Dealer-installed accessory for my 2007 Tacoma ($300 + labour). It is the type that will allow an iPod to be controlled directly from the OEM head unit. I'd like to know who makes it for Toyota and see if it can be purchased elsewhere. Having said that, a friend recently purchased a similar aftermarket AIA from Ebay (I think) for his 2008 Lincoln that was supposedly compatible all current generation Ford audio systems. Although it was reasonably simple to install (had a piggyback harness that just plugged in directly into the back of the head unit), he could never get the thing to work properly and eventually went back to a simple FM transmitter.

Another option may be to try an FM modulator. It’s similar to an FM transmitter, but is hard wired into the vehicle and connects directly to the FM antenna input. SQ is supposed to be much better than the standard FM adapters. The local Futile Shop sell them for $100 - $200 (plus install), but are out of stock at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:00 am 

selkirk wrote:
I know that an AIA is available as a Dealer-installed accessory for my 2007 Tacoma ($300 + labour)

Similar to what my dealership could offer. Hard to stomach paying over $300 for something which in a 07 model should already have been there, I won't!

Yes I came across FM modulators while researching, seems a decent option if can't obtain an appropriate AIA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:38 am 

Crutchfield has one, $180:
http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDetail ... ow=ExtInfo
Quote:
The USA SPEC PA15-HON2 interface connects a compatible iPod to select Honda and Acura audio systems. Its on-board software translates commands from your Honda/Acura radio's in-dash CD-changer or XM controls into commands the iPod understands. This interface enables the iPod to coexist with your Honda/Acura in-dash CD-changer or XM tuner...
...In addition to the iPod input on the PA15-HON2 there is an auxiliary input (RCA) for use with another source, such as a DVD system, satellite radio, etc. This aux input can be used with or without the iPod connected. To use the auxiliary input on the interface, dip switch #1 is set to the "On" position.

No idea if it works with your specific radio...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:52 am 

b3733366 wrote:
I have a 2007 Accord that [for some strange reason] isn't fitted with jack to directly plug in a iPhone (or other portable player). It does however have an Aux button on the stereo that I understand is intended to support things like CD stackers.

I did a bit of research on this and discover there is new product category called Aux Input Adapters (AIA) that utilize the Aux input for protable products. For the iPhone/iPod market there are even AIAs that support USB connection for charging the device, getting better audio (takes digital feed from the iPod, etc.), and even some to control the iPod from the car's stereo control.

I'm currently using a FM transmitter based product but find the audio less than idea due to noise and static. I would like to try a fairly simple AIA that just gives a jack for plugging in the audio feed from my iPhone.

I was wondering if there are members who have experience either installing these things themselves or know of outfits that do it for a reasonable price? (I already tried my dealership, they work with a third party but the price was way of the scale.)

I installed an aftermarket one in my 2006 Chevy Venture. It adapted the multi CD input on my stock radio to accept an Aux-In for my Sirius radio. It required removing the cowelling on the centre console and removing some components, etc. The kit I bought works well. It was fairly easy for me to install on my own although I did do extra research to figure out which eletrical wires to tap into. I wanted to be doubly sure I knew what I was doing while it everything was apart. The sound quality improvement was worth it though over an FM Modulator.

Crutchfield is a great place to see what kits work with your vehicle. You can always comparison shop from there.