Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rubber Surround
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:51 am 

I noticed that the rubber surrounds on my MTX 6X9's dried out a bit over the years, is there a particular product that I should use to revitalize them? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Rubber Surround
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:36 am 
Premium User

Armor All. Works on rubber tires and rubber shifter boots; just as long as you are sure that those surrounds are really rubber. Never seen a 6X9 car speaker that used a rubber surround; foam, treated cloth, treated paper, but never rubber.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:21 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

MG Chemicals Rubber Renue - very popular for using on TT belts, have used it on rubber surrounds with good success.

Usually in stock at most Active Electronics stores, or order online at http://www.active123.com/eng/storeSecti ... orylevel2=

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 am 

I second rubber renue.

Have even used it on hardened pinch rollers on R/R
machines works wonders.

All the best Les

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 am 

I am going to have to try that on some old car weather stripping for the heck of it. Thanks for the idea. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 am 

Any product containing silicone is to be avoided on rubber. Sure, it will look slick and shiny, but silicones dries out rubber and it will make the situation even worst in your case. When surrounds start drying, the only remedy is to change them.

Behringer DCX2496 - DEQ1024 - CX3400
Quad 405 & 606 - Adcom GFA-5500 - Technics SU-9060 - Yamaha P2200 x 4
JBL Pro 4520 w/2225h and 2235h/2245/1800GTi subs - 2397 w/2241J - 2402/04/05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 am 

I got this tip from an ol school car guy. Try a body or hand lotion, yep thats right. Ideally one thats non alcohol and doesnt have perfume in it as those will actually dry it out more in the long run. But it should contain lanolin. The lanolin is the key ingredient. I use it on tires during winder storage to keep them from drying out and make them nice and pliable. Apply a coat then wrap em in plastic. Unlike your armor alls etc, the stuff actually absorbs right into the rubber surface after a while. It also re vitalizes. What I do with parts that are really bad, is coat them with a good layer of the stuff and then cover it will some shrink wrap for a few days. Try if for yourself ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Armor All. Works on rubber tires and rubber shifter boots; just as long as you are sure that those surrounds are really rubber. Never seen a 6X9 car speaker that used a rubber surround; foam, treated cloth, treated paper, but never rubber.

I have a pair of 6x9's myself that have some sort of rubber surround and is given the "marine grade" designation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:55 am 
Premium User

Vintageman wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

I have a pair of 6x9's myself that have some sort of rubber surround and is given the "marine grade" designation.

Cool vintageman! I'd love to see a picture of them. What brand are they? The marine grade ones I remember from back in the day all used rubberized cloth surrounds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 pm 

little camaro wrote:
I got this tip from an ol school car guy. Try a body or hand lotion, yep thats right. Ideally one thats non alcohol and doesnt have perfume in it as those will actually dry it out more in the long run. But it should contain lanolin. The lanolin is the key ingredient. I use it on tires during winder storage to keep them from drying out and make them nice and pliable. Apply a coat then wrap em in plastic. Unlike your armor alls etc, the stuff actually absorbs right into the rubber surface after a while. It also re vitalizes. What I do with parts that are really bad, is coat them with a good layer of the stuff and then cover it will some shrink wrap for a few days. Try if for yourself ;)

+1. Never use ArmourAll on vinyl trim or rubber, including your tires. It will make them look good for a while, but it will dry and crack the surface eventually (probably not as much and issue with tires, as they get replaced regularly - or should be). The advice above is good, but make certain of no alcohol or perfumes, as they will cause damage eventually. There are a number of other automotive rubber-renewal products to look at as well. One I used for door seals is a Wurth product called Gummi-Phlege, but it may be hard to find. It should work on the rubber speaker surrnounds.

Incidentally, some Tannoy Monitor Gold versions had rubber surrounds. I believe they were normally sold as studio monitors, as the presentation was less coloured than the doped cloth surround commercial version. I haven't heard them though, so couldn't comment with experience on the sound.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 pm 

OBI56 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually , Pioneer , Clarion and Focal just to name a few have used rubber surrounds
decades ago and Focal and Pioneer still are in some models even those not designated
marine grade.

I have always used a quality leather conditioner on rubber surrounds put on lightly with a q-tip. No chemicals to dry out the rubber and loaded with lanolin.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 pm 

Cableguy, how about for Butile surrounds, such as those on my Celstion SL12Si? Mine look to be in top condition, but I know that they can let go with age (and mine are indeed 24 years old). You will hear my heart shatter in 10,000 pieces from Victoria if my Celestions let go :shock: :cry: :shock: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:25 pm 

I have Philips woofers that are 40 years old, with butyl rubber surrounds. No problems. Just wash them,
It is the foam that deteriorates, after about 15 years, and must be replaced.
BTW, if you have drivers with cloth surrounds that have sagged a bit, turn then 180 degrees.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:44 pm 
Premium User

Jimmi wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually , Pioneer , Clarion and Focal just to name a few have used rubber surrounds
decades ago and Focal and Pioneer still are in some models even those not designated
marine grade.

I have always used a quality leather conditioner on rubber surrounds put on lightly with a q-tip. No chemicals to dry out the rubber and loaded with lanolin.

Cheers

Cool Jimmi. Like I said, I have never seen any 6x9s that had rubber surrounds, but then I've stayed away from car audio for almost 2 decades when 6X9s were considered a dying breed due to smaller cars. Other products to look at are rubber cleaner/preservative for rubber wet suits and raincoats or an old time product called Rubber-Renue that we used to use to restore dried up TT idler wheels and tape recorder pinch-rollers. I had a 40 year old pair of Philips kit speakers with butyl rubber surrounds (2 10" woofers, dome midrange and dome tweeter) that were treated with the stuff that I sold this weekend and the surrounds still looked like new. Haven't seen the stuff in years though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 pm 

Thanks Alec for the advice. Come to think of it, it is not the actual Butyl that deteriorates on the Celestions. Rather, they adopted a two piece Butyl surround I believe (something not done before in the day, something about standing wave reduction). The glue lets go, and apparently, are next to impossible to repair for some reason (although I can't see why they would be so difficult to repair). Hopefully mine will hang on for awhile yet.