Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: high end car audio
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:17 pm 

Audiofils wrote:
I owned a 2001 Subaru Outback with a McIntosh system, very very good but I think they exited that market since.

Yes that is when Clarion owned them - was sold to D&M Holdings, a Blackstone Group company (private equity) at the time.

Most high end cars have excellent stereos now, especially VW-Group. That Dynaudio system in the Passat is fantastic sounding. Full surround, natural balance and excellent detail. M-B puts very decent sounding H/K stuff in their cars, which I like but the Dynaudio system is still better IMO. The Lexus cars always had decent Nak-based systems in the old LS series cars. The new M-L are pretty great. I agree - why bother with a car stereo in a Ferrari or Lambo. The engines are music.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:21 am 

Have any of the luxury cars come out with sacd decks with surround processors?

Tell me you don't want one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:42 am 

Dorian wrote:

Not SCAD players but DVD-Audio. Some car manufacturer in Europe came out with a car that had a multi-channel, DVD-Audio based Meridian system in it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:51 am 
Premium User

good sound wrote:
Dorian wrote:

Not SCAD players but DVD-Audio. Some car manufacturer in Europe came out with a car that had a multi-channel, DVD-Audio based Meridian system in it.

Though they were not factory standard equipment, believe it or not both Bose and Sony sold SACD equipped car radios here back in 2007 with Sony having 3 different models (the MEX-DV1000, MEX-DV2000 and XAV-W1 multimedai sytems)! On a side note, was anyone aware that the PS3 is capable of playing SACDs?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:53 am 

OBI56 wrote:
On a side note, was anyone aware that the PS3 is capable of playing SACDs?

Ya, just about everyone actually OBI. If I remember correctly the newest ones do not play SACD. The original ones were actually capable of passing multi-channel signals through the HDMI in native DSD I think, but I could be wrong there. There have been many threads here and elsewhere discussing the PS3's SACD playback capabilities. Unfortunately without any multi-channel RCA analogue outputs getting SACD from a PS3 demanded a receiver or pre/pro with HDMI inputs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:06 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

newmusic wrote:
Getting ready to install my first high end car audio since the 90's...
Picked up the Clarion DRZ-9255 for a head unit, pretty cool all copper chassis, 4 pre outs with almost infinitely adjustable cross over points, outboard power supply and d/a
Grabbed a four channel Focal amp for mids and tweets.
Have Scanspeak tweets.
Thinking of either Focal, Eton or Davis mids, have experience with all of them in the past, just can't decide.
Picked up Audioquest Boulder speaker wire, unterminated off the roll, normally for home theatre install.
Next I need to decide on custom terminated lenghts of interconnect wire, maybe cardas?
Not sure what to use for power wire, as this has been critical to sound in my home system, any suggestions?
Finally have to decide best place to get installed, in Southern Ontario.

Starting with a minimalist system, no sub, may need special door treatment/cabinet work to coax a little more bass from a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch mid driver. If I can get that right I will live without subsonic bass. Not looking to blow out any windows. Just want something approaching the sound of a good 2 way stand mounted moniter.

Anybody with helpful suggestions?

For IC, I'd go AQ over Cardas. Power cable? At least 4awg for both power and ground.
It's amazing how much bass gets sucked out of the car with road noise. You'll want a modest sub, I'd go with a single 10 in a sealed enclosure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 am 
Premium User

good sound wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Ya, just about everyone actually OBI. If I remember correctly the newest ones do not play SACD. The original ones were actually capable of passing multi-channel signals through the HDMI in native DSD I think, but I could be wrong there. There have been many threads here and elsewhere discussing the PS3's SACD playback capabilities. Unfortunately without any multi-channel RCA analogue outputs getting SACD from a PS3 demanded a receiver or pre/pro with HDMI inputs.

I don't remember reading any threads about the PS3 being able to play SACD disks good sound, only DVD-A multichannel ones, but then I have never been a fan of gaming systems though both of my kids have them in their homes. That is why it caught me by surprise this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:32 am 

What happened to the original question of what stereo would you install ie. aftermarket...
Other than my other post I seem to be looking at very few recomendations.

Thanks cableguy, still don't want to put in a sub, just yet. Have two one year olds that will be sitting in the back seat and I don't think they would appreciate a back and eardrum massage from a subwoofer.
Personally I don't care much for sub bass, as I mostly listen to ambient, world and chamber music. If I feel I do need one down the road I will absolutely be going for a Focal 10" in a sealed cabinet. Tight quick and musical, no tubby, flubby, ported big woofers.
For the power wire I was more interested in what brand or any special sheilding requirements. Not sure if different brands of DC power wire influence the sound character in the same way that different AC wire types can in home install.

Last edited by newmusic on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 am 

OBI56 wrote:
good sound wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

I don't remember reading any threads about the PS3 being able to play SACD disks good sound, only DVD-A multichannel ones, but then I have never been a fan of gaming systems though both of my kids have them in their homes. That is why it caught me by surprise this morning.

I don't really want to derail this threads any further, but I don't think any Sony product, ever made ,played back any DVD-Audio software. Sony was the co-inventor of DSD and SACD and were the catalysts behind the format war between SACD and DVD-Audio. Producing any hardware that played back the other sides software would have been tantamount to blasphemy in Sony's eyes. They never built or marketed a true universal player either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:53 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

newmusic wrote:
What happened to the original question of what stereo would you install ie. aftermarket...
Other than my other post I seem to be looking at very few recomendations.

Thanks cableguy, still don't want to put in a sub, just yet. Have two one year olds that will be sitting in the back seat and I don't think they would appreciate a back and eardrum massage from a subwoofer.
Personally I don't care much for sub bass, as I mostly listen to ambient, world and chamber music. If I feel I do need one down the road I will absolutely be going for a Focal 10" in a sealed cabinet. Tight quick and musical, no tubby, flubby, ported big woofers.
For the power wire I was more interested in what brand or any special sheilding requirements. Not sure if different brands of DC power wire influence the sound character in the same way that different AC wire types can in home install.

That's what I like about a simple 10 - it gives the music a bit more weight, versus back & ear massaging. I can't imagine a car system without a sub - even a small 8 incher helps out.
Power wire - all car audio shops carry quality stuff for reputable companies. Complement it with a good inline fuse - the car audio shop you eventually choose to do the install can surely help you out in this department.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:26 am 
Premium User

good sound wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
good sound wrote:

I don't really want to derail this threads any further, but I don't think any Sony product, ever made ,played back any DVD-Audio software. Sony was the co-inventor of DSD and SACD and were the catalysts behind the format war between SACD and DVD-Audio. Producing any hardware that played back the other sides software would have been tantamount to blasphemy in Sony's eyes. They never built or marketed a true universal player either.

Yup, you are right again good sound. Like I said previously, I really don't pay much attention to anything having to do with gaming systems or Sony and just assumed that the multichannel capabilities being discussed were DVD-A related; also because my son "borrows" my DVD-A concert videos and plays them on his PS3 because I know that his older Toshiba DVD player does not play back DVD-A format disks.

You learn something new every day on here!

Now, back to the topic at hand.

EDIT: I just remembered that my son also has my old Aquos BluRay player that does play DVD-As, so that is what he is probably using to listen to concerts with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:18 pm 

When I drive my Porsche, the high end car audio sound comes from the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:38 pm 

Newmusic. The best guy around worked for Crofts for years and now works for Best Buy or Future shop in Ancaster (one or the other try BB first) ask the auto install who worked for Crofts years ago and that is him. You wont find better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 am 

cool...I purchased most of the stuff from Lee at Radioactive in Burlington, but I may look around at FS or BB in Ancaster for the Croft's guy.
I drive a Buick which is quiet and smooth, could sound good if I can get things right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:55 am 

newmusic wrote:
Getting ready to install my first high end car audio since the 90's...
Picked up the Clarion DRZ-9255 for a head unit, pretty cool all copper chassis, 4 pre outs with almost infinitely adjustable cross over points, outboard power supply and d/a
Grabbed a four channel Focal amp for mids and tweets.
Have Scanspeak tweets.
Thinking of either Focal, Eton or Davis mids, have experience with all of them in the past, just can't decide.
Picked up Audioquest Boulder speaker wire, unterminated off the roll, normally for home theatre install.
Next I need to decide on custom terminated lenghts of interconnect wire, maybe cardas?
Not sure what to use for power wire, as this has been critical to sound in my home system, any suggestions?
Finally have to decide best place to get installed, in Southern Ontario.

Starting with a minimalist system, no sub, may need special door treatment/cabinet work to coax a little more bass from a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch mid driver. If I can get that right I will live without subsonic bass. Not looking to blow out any windows. Just want something approaching the sound of a good 2 way stand mounted moniter.

Anybody with helpful suggestions?

Sounds like a great system build on the way for you. I would offer that sound deadening and instal will help the most with your goal of living without a sub. Also your driver choice (specs) and the car itself will have a role to play in where best to mount them for the bass your looking for ie doors or kicks.
As for power/ground wire like someone has already mentioned 4ga min and from the batt to the amps for both , proper fuse near the batt etc etc. Alll things a good installer will will do anyways. I use streewires ofc but to each there own. Placement of your interconnects,speaker wire,pw/gr wire as far away from each other as possible will help reduce any interferance affects you may incounter.
Remember a good battery/alt and connections under the hood are just as important as the rest of the system, thats where all the juice starts.

Good luck and hope it helps.

btw love your choice on the 9255 that is an awesome deck.