Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:00 pm 

Remember when you first heard a Bose 901 system and you thought it was pretty good? For a lot of us geezers, that was our introduction to "high end" audio. It seemed like everyone was aware of this odd looking speaker that would transform the listener to audio heaven. Heck, even people who were mildly interested in audio thought that this was the ultimate. Of course we wised up after reading all the journals that would routinely bash this legend. We knew better now! We became audio snobs and turned our noses down at this speaker.

Heavy advertising has kept the Bose name alive and well; so much in fact that when I mention to someone that I have been interested in audio for years, their first response is "have you got a Bose?" When I say no, they seem to lose interest. There was a guy in my small town who had a Bose speaker system (601 I think) with Sony amps and CD player that was the envy of everyone. In fact, he was commissioned by more than a few people to set up similar systems in their own homes. These systems invariably had the speakers mounted in the corners of rooms where they met the ceiling. Sound? EXECRABLE ! But, for those who haven't heard better (hard to imagine) or don't care (even harder to imagine!), this is as good as it gets. Is a Bose car stereo any better? I hope so. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 pm 

bradshag wrote:
Just watched an show on the Mercedes-Benz SLR MCLAREN, a $500,000.00 super car. One of the features is it's Bose sound system. Do they know something the rest of us don't about Bose.

This just goes to show that MClaren engineers know very little about audio and that Bose knows how to sell themselves to those audio ignorant engineers.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 pm 

yournamehere wrote:
Stuffing anyting into a predetermined and non-adjustable small space is going to give you a direct payback to the effort put into it.
Anything in a car is going to reflect the environment, and before car hi-fi(?) guys get going, YOU CANNOT MOVE THE SPEAKERS.

This means the greatest compromise of all, and one that is futile.

Yes, the Blose in my CTS is as bad as the one in my Corvette was.

ummm...yes you can.

It is called custom fiberglass speaker pods.
Besides, what you lose in soundstage you make up for in bass.

I am sure the last thing on their mind was "what should we do about the stereo".
In a car like that the most beautiful music is made by the engine anyways.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:04 pm 

yournamehere wrote:
Stuffing anyting into a predetermined and non-adjustable small space is going to give you a direct payback to the effort put into it.
Anything in a car is going to reflect the environment, and before car hi-fi(?) guys get going, YOU CANNOT MOVE THE SPEAKERS.

You are correct it is difficult to get correct speaker placement but you can get the next best thing I use an Alpine CDA-9886 with an Alpine Imprint sound processor. The imprint processor hooks up to a microphone and your laptop computer and allows you to program delays into the system so that the sound reaches your ears at the correct time it also equalizes the system and helps draw the sound stage forward. It is a pain to program and only the driver gets to hear the results (it sounds crappy in the passenger seat) it can be defeated with the touch of a button. But decent sound is available if you want to pay for it

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:05 pm 

Well I had my doubts about the BOSE also. Having grown up in the "BOSE "direct reflecting" age 1975 I figured it may suck.
My new Cadillac CTS with 10 speaker BOSE and 40Gig HD is pretty damm good. In fact the HD recorded CD sounds better than the original, which it should.
I would not have believed it but they got it right in my car anyways.I still find it hard to believe it .
Oodles of power and has 5.1 surround and can position the center all over the cabin.
Beats my VOLVO S80 with the Premium 400 watt Alpine all over the town.

Is it better than my home system , no,but at times it comes damm close and my home system is has been assembled over ten years and really haven't changed anything for 1 1/2 years which is an eternity.

Cheeers,
Peterd

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:45 pm 

bradshag wrote:
Just watched an show on the Mercedes-Benz SLR MCLAREN, a $500,000.00 super car. One of the features is it's Bose sound system. Do they know something the rest of us don't about Bose.

My brother in law has that car. Silver with red leather. Why there's a Bose in it, I do not know.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:24 pm 

Lots of Miata owners perform a 'bosectomy' to eliminate all of the Factory Bose components ...they're that bad.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:21 pm 

blah-say wrote:
Lots of Miata owners perform a 'bosectomy' to eliminate all of the Factory Bose components ...they're that bad.

LOL

-- 22 May 2010 06:57 --

BOSE IMAGING

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:18 am 

mikeybc wrote:
This just goes to show that MClaren engineers know very little about audio and that Bose knows how to sell themselves to those audio ignorant engineers.

Well, the sound system is the collaborative product of the marketing department teams and aesthetic design artists, these departments are responsible for choosing and purchasing the sound system. The engineering teams' are not usually responsible for purchasing and their priorities are to design the automobile and determine the safest location for the speakers. Moreover their job is to do what the company will allow them to do within a specified budget to meet a selling price point and profit margin, again set by the marketing team and lead management. Most engineers are anything other than ignorant about sound quality.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:22 am 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

ummm...yes you can.

It is called custom fiberglass speaker pods.
Besides, what you lose in soundstage you make up for in bass.

I am sure the last thing on their mind was "what should we do about the stereo".
In a car like that the most beautiful music is made by the engine anyways.

JR, Pods scattered about the cabin would appeal to about .5% of the population...wait, that's us!
The Vette made it's own music for about 1/2 hour, then it's just a 140kph drone for most of Montana. Occasional 165 MPH blasts not withstanding. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:02 am 

I've got an old Akai boombox that sits on a "built into the chassis" guitar vault in my 65 Land Rover extended wheelbase, sounds great but changing tapes while driving is a ****

I mean that song on the Sticky Fingers album, can I even say that?

how come I can say Sticky Fingers and not ****?

what if i'm talking about that song, do I have to refer it as that song from SF that's banned here?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:51 am 
Premium User

No... But in the court of brand recognition...Bose is right up there with Coca cola, Boss and D&G all of which sound as good!:wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:33 pm 

Wow, poor old Bose :)

I have an older Acura and I am impressed by the onboard system. Capable of decent volume, very smooth, and images quite nicely with good source material. The sub is not too bad, but is the weak link in the system. Still, there's plenty of decent bass when called for.

As far as their home systems, don't have any experience with them, so no opinion on that side of their market.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:57 pm 

I have to admit the Bose system in my Dad's Audio actually sounds pretty good. I don't really want to admit this but it is true.

Now what I would really want is a Bentley, their partnered with Naim :D :D