Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Locked Eclipse HU
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 pm 

I'm about to install this Eclipse Head, and I'm told by PO (dad, who found it in the basement), that it auto-locks you out after 3 complete battery on/off.
First, no proof of purchase to register with Eclipse. It was 'found' in the basement, reciept since garbaged (or hid).
Second, I've yet to plug it in to the car. I'm asking for any info before I put it in.

I also work on my car quite a bit, which involves removal of the (+) battery terminal. I can't wait to hear it. Installing it tomorrow with the amps and crossovers, before I put the dash back on.

Amps/xovers are taking the place of the old heater core and blower motor (On the carpeted side of the firewall), completly hidden under the dash. Stealth for the door locks that don't work, right?

-- 25 Feb 2010 05:38 --

Oops! Eclipse CD5000

-- 25 Feb 2010 05:42 --

I just found the box & manual. If the receipt was anywhere, it would be stapeled to the box.

-- 25 Feb 2010 05:54 --

Reading the Manual... it looks like the ACC (red) wire supplies the power while the ignition is on, and the B+ (Yellow) wire is supposed to always get 12V DC.

If it locks you out after being completly disconnected 3 times.
If I run a 12V battery, can I trick the system into believing it is not being unplugged from the car? I would need to wire it so it doesn't try to draw amperage from the 12V while the car is off.

Anyone more knowledgable than I am?

Post subject: Re: Locked Eclipse HU
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:36 am 

I think what it means is the head unit has a code feature , meaning when power is disconnected u have to punch in the appropriate code to have it function once again. If you punch in the WRONG code 3 times it then locks you out. I would try to get the code from eclpse cause that headunit can quickly become a paper weight :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:01 pm 

As in... no way to unlock it ever ever?

I'll call Eclipse again. Last time they told me that I needed a reciept.
Maybe I can fax them an affidavit swearing that this unit was legally obtained, with the signatures of myself, the previous owner, and a witness/notary's as well?

We shall see.

-- 27 Feb 2010 23:35 --

And Eclipse is having none of this. It's starting to look like a paperweight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 pm 

found some info, If i were u i would try to find an eclipse " dealer" rather than dealing with them directly. might be easier...

ESN Security - Don't Steal What You Can't Use!

One technology that has set apart Eclipse from the rest throughout the years is the exclusive ESN Technology - the Eclipse Security Network.

Here's how it works:

•Choose a CD to become your "Key CD", used for unlocking the radio
•Should power be lost either from a dead battery or attempted theft, the radio will be inoperable until the proper Key CD is inserted.
•If incorrect CDs are attempted too many times, the radio will lock out further attempts and can now only be unlocked by Eclipse or an authorized retailer, displaying a message like "Call 800" on the radio's display.
•For Memory Stick capable CD players, multimedia, and navigation radios that feature memory stick capability, ESN technology can also be managed using the stick rather than a security CD.
If your radio is installed by an authorized Eclipse installer and registered, Eclipse guarantees your radio against theft for 1 year. If stolen, Eclipse will replace your unit for free! No other car stereo company protects your investment like Eclipse. In the last 10 years, Eclipse has had one of the LOWEST theft rates in the industry.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:35 pm 

That CD is going to see a lot of use from me, if I ever get it to go...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 pm 

Don't keep it in the car...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 pm 

My first account no longer has privliges to anything.
Started by not being able to read PMs, then no FAQ, then no fourm index at all. Glitchy.

Anyways, after talking to my dad, he it's always worked for him without a CD. From the email...
"The unit worked for me w/o needing to unlock it. I think there may be
a hack to get around it, if it does lock up. Search on the net."

I'm hoping that the earlier PM sent to me was what I'm currently looking for.
If you're out there, would you mind replying to "editedout@october.2011"?

Last edited by fiveleaf2 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:03 am 

There's no hack for Eclipse. It's quite simple, since it belongs to your dad, the first CD he put into that unit IS the ESN .(it cannot be a burnt copy)
If the unit doesn't see that CD as the first one, after it re-powers than you will have 3 chances before it locks up and shuts down. It's at this point that the unit MUST be sent it to Eclipse with the original owner name, (the one that filled out the registration at time of purchase, and a copy of it and original invoice faxed to Eclipse by the dealer at time of install.) so that it can be re-set at the factory by a tech, which involves replacing a chip.
What will probably happen is that you will be prompted to purchase a new model Eclipse.
As a note, each owner was prompted to "write down the title and order # of the CD" on the owner manual back page.