Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:34 pm 

I'll admit I don't have alot of experience with car audio- thats why I'm not sure what it would cost to accomplish my goals-
I would like to improve upon my stock system which sounds like a cheap plastic radio.
I just want clarity and detail in the playback at low volumes, have no concern for pumping bass- just whatever power it takes to get a clear musical sound at comfortable listening volumes-
Is it even possible to get this from a local caraudio shop installed for under a grand? I would like to spend not more than 600, any more and its just not worth it to me. And what kind of components would I be looking for? Any help to clarify would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 pm 

What kind of car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:39 pm 

2005 pontiac vibe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:23 pm 

Pioneer front end and Infinity Kappa speakers, buy 'em new off Ebay and you'll come in around $600 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:29 pm 

ditton wrote:
2005 pontiac vibe

Does it have the nav and/or Monsoon system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 pm 

Quote:
unityaudio

Hey ,, is your avatar Vince Neil before he got the lipo nip and tuck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:03 pm 

lol :lol:

Last edited by unityaudio on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 am 

ditton wrote:
2005 pontiac vibe

I'll second the Pioneer front end - the source is almost always the week spot in most stock systems.

There are a number of shops in Ottawa to help attain your goal, one of the better ones is Shamus Customs in Ottawa south on Bank Street.

$600 isn't unrealistic - yo umay want to have some sound deadening added to improve the audio quality and reduce exterior noise - this makes a HUGE difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 am 

yep, I 2nd the sound deadening...takes about 1000 watts to drown out my buses road noise :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 am 

I also agree with a Pioneer deck. I tried most of the big names, Sony, Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood. I liked the clarity and ease of use with the Pioneer the best. They are very good units at a reasonable price.

For sound deadening, I used Dynamat. Not sure what else there is out there, but that worked wonders for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 am 

Hey! My personal opinion is that there are a lot of things that add up to a great sounding system. If you are the primary listener, I would get a nice 2 way (woofer and tweeter) component set for the front of your car and forget about the rear. For example, there is a used Focal130KF K2 with crossovers on ebay for 50$ (currently) - that is a smokin deal (if you can stomach buying used equipment) Yes this is the same focal that makes the Utopia home speaker line.

You will also need a source. A quality used source, single disk, satilite ready will probably bring you the most joy. I have experimented with indash multidisk, and remote disk changers and could never get into them, always ended up loosing cds for some reason :). If you spend a lot of time in your car make sure it is Sirius sat ready! really really enjoyable imho, not having to deal with a portable sat receiver, and have all the info displayed right on the radios display the way is should be. Depending on the size of your opening in the dash, you may choose to purchase a source that fits directly, or is half sized and make a cover plate, or go to Princess Auto, they have alll sorts of double to single DIN size plates. Make sure it has pre outs, and subwoofer outs!

I imagine that you could have it all installed and be well under your 600$ (including your sat radio subscription), limit if you shop carefully.

You can stop here and probably be quite happy. 8) or...

Go to Canadian Tire or Future Shop and buy a harness adaptor. This will enable you to plug the new source directly into your current wiring harness yourself with a little soldering.

If you are buying everything used (the only way I buy stuff) you will have money left for an amp, try to get a 4 channel that has bridging capability. you can use 2 channels for L/R in your car (if you chose to run some wires it in the future) , and have 2 chanels bridged to mono for a sub which can be easily purchased at your local hock shop for cheap. you can also just use the decks amp to power the component set and use the sub pre->amp->sub for a easy install. Subs are very important in cars because low freq is what there is a lot of from the outside environment... if you imagine a bunch of things spinning at 3000rpm /60 = 50 hz road noise (my personal opinion, im sure people will have differnt ones)

I agree 100% with dynamat, it will make the biggest differnce in sound you can imagine. However, if you have some rust holes in your car as i do, it also traps moisture and acelerates the rot.... but it will easily cost 300$ to get your car done properly (under the seats, in the doors and under the hood), if you are removing the door pannels to do the speakers yourself, then you can mat at the same time - aggrivating yes, rewarding yes :).

So there are a lot of things here, and I know you said that you wanted it installed for you, but as with anything, the labor component really eats up the money. *sometimes* if you buy a new source from Future Shop, you can get them to throw in installation as long as you buy the harness adaptor. Then you would be left removing you door pannels and installing your speakers yourself. If you are a reasonably handy guy, it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

cheers and good luck
Cardamonfrost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:29 am 

Pickville wrote:
I also agree with a Pioneer deck. I tried most of the big names, Sony, Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood. I liked the clarity and ease of use with the Pioneer the best. They are very good units at a reasonable price.

For sound deadening, I used Dynamat. Not sure what else there is out there, but that worked wonders for me.

I have a Pioneer head unit and I like it a lot although the radio isn't as good as I expected from Pioneer. Not a big deal as I don't listen to the radio much but their supertuner used to kick arse at one time.

I was an installer 15 years ago and I liked Kenwood as a value head unit back then but I have no idea if they still work well. I know they are still pretty cheap. Anyone comment on that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:36 am 

Alpine type s coaxial mids and highs and a type s woofer on their MRP400 amp, you can do this pretty cheap online, this setup one best sound at CES a couple of years ago, full retail price was right at about $1000, so you can do better online. Heres the article: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/company ... &year=2005

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 am 

A new head unit will kill your budget.
What you want is better qualioty sound...upgrade your front speakers to components (spereate tweeter and mid).

Have a car audio shop build you custom kick panels (lost of room in your car) and if you have any money left add an amplifier. Save the headunit for last.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 am 

Ditton.
I sent you a PM.......