Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 am 

... and im so proud of him! :lol:

Seems he is a fan of wall mount speakers for his surround sound system. I think i have him willing to entertain them over in walls. That said, maybe in walls are the better choice and I am stupid.

What are folks running that arent full sized floor standing speakers? We are going to build him some subs so that is something to consider. Its a large open concept space open living, dining and kitchen, double height ceilings.

I encouraged him to bin cheap pyramid wire and use at least the in wall wire from monoprice in 12awg, as the Pyramid stuff was atrocious. Felt the monoprice was a good compromise since Belden 5000ue I can only find at Take Five and theyre closed for 3 weeks.

In the end I am looking for advice on wall mount speakers or small speaker solutions that would suit the needs of my friend. He aint an audiophile but anyone whos heard decent systems appreciates it. I want him to be happy, and am doing it for him, so feel like I should solicit outside advice regarding products, as I am a bit removed from the surround game.

Thanks in Advance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 am 

the advancement in wireless solutions make them a viable solution as well. The Sonos surround packages are quite capable with the ability to continue to add on to the system later if desired.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 am 

I use inwalls (in the ceiling actually) for surrounds as I didn't have the headroom for wall mount or floor space for stand mounted. I also insulated the ceiling with safe and sound insulation to help tame the cavity as well as help keep the sound in the room. My focus is primarily 2 channel music but for movies, this setup has not disappointed. Insulation and a good quality speaker are key.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:23 am 

Try Cables on Sale for Cdn based mono price cables.

I used 12/2, 14/2, and some 14/4 for my basement build.

I am using a full on wall Paradigm setup (plus normal sub). Older Cinema 330 front stage and ADP190’s in the rear.

I considered in wall, but found these better. My brother uses a set of RBH in ceiling for surrounds. I think they are 8inch with swivel tweeter. Pretty good.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:10 am 

Thanks folks.

I feel like knowing where speakers go is most critical at this juncture, which means wiring. That's easier than the rest. When I worked in retail, you had a limited range of products, and customers were very demanding. Its not often that the installer gets this much freedom... at least from my experience.

Found some Monoprice 12awg on PrimeCables/Amazon. Will order from whichever works timeline wise for my friend.

In walls just seem too much of a compromise placement wise. The extended baffle principle behind inwalls are all I can think of that I'd be losing. Which shouldn't be an issue with properly designed speakers. I also don't like the idea of trying to point a tweeter at listening area with limited range. I'm not a fan of the "god effect" some all in ceiling setups have had... but customer liked not seeing speakers.

I have seen the prices on lots out there and am not certain what final budget will be. I know that we will likely build subs to save a bit there. Not that I'm expecting things to be cheap, I am hoping to do it well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:35 am 

mpublicover wrote:
the advancement in wireless solutions make them a viable solution as well. The Sonos surround packages are quite capable with the ability to continue to add on to the system later if desired.
I like this idea. Can put them anywhere you want....and change your mind later to put them somewhere else. Also, no copper to oxidize in the wall, assuming it's not OFC or at least tin plated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 pm 

Wireless is good yes, and always an option down road.

The room is quite large. Its a living/dining/kitchen open concept. Which is cool. It looks like a killer 2 channel room.

We settled on four speakers: using a phantom center... two floorstanders up front and a pair of rears. What is nice is that his room is fairly rectangular and they fit in a natual and practical manner. Once I explained to him that front floorstanders would be better than trying to place two pairs of tiny on walls, the rest fell into place rather well.

He's leaning towards subs that are disguised as end tables, and wired them for an external amp in his rack. Picking the other components is going to be interesting. As he doesnt plan to go crazy in future, there are lots of avenues to take with where to spend the budget etc, and certain bits can be done in phases, always a plus.

Quality over Quantity seems to be the theme here, and am liking that my free advice is being valued... maybe one day I can get pid to do this :lol: