Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 am 

L-Man wrote:
Most TVs have multiple inputs ... why not use it as a video switch?

IF,,,IF the cause of HDMI failures is the cable box then you could end up wrecking a potentially more valuable tv.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649358538-anthem-avm-30/

No HDMI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:24 am 

I think you should play the lotto. Okham's razor. What's more likely, that a bad wire or bad cable box is overloading each one of these receivers and only the receivers, or that you had a few faulty ones and the last one was fried in a storm? Not sure. Leaning towards the latter, especially since your electrics were redone.

If getting the latest Codecs is important to you, I would suggest you give it one more try. I'd replace your hdmi cables to be on the safe side since that will be relatively cheap, and swap the rogers box since it's free. It might be a convenient time to consider separates, too. At least you would still have your amp if your PrePro get's zapped.

If you don't care about the latest Codecs, or if you rely on the Oppo to do the decoding, your money goes further with a used non-hdmi model. I made that swap recently, and for the price of selling my newer Marantz PrePro, I got an older Bryston, and it sounds considerably better. I let my TV do the video switching. The logitech harmony remote (60$ on sale) takes care of that for me automatically so I don't have to use multiple remotes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:52 am 

AVM 30 doesn't have hdmi but it has worked well for me for the past 10 years. You can use balanced cables if your amp has the inputs. It barely gets warm even after being on for hours.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:34 pm 

I think the older AVM series are one of the best bargains in audio at the moment. Try to get a stereo preamp that performs as well as the AVM30 for $400. I don't think it can be done.

I feed the 6-channel analogue output of the Oppo103 into an AVM40 and voila - all codecs supported (except Atmos). I don't need video switching; I only use optical discs, my Hard Drive, Netflix or Apple TV, and they are all either part of the Oppo system or plugged into it.

And the Anthem learning remote operates everything - projector, Apple TV, Oppo player, and of course the pre/pro.

The AVM40 even has HDMI, but I don't need/use it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:59 pm 

I use Apple TV. AVM-30 is a non-starter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm 

Time for 2.1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:32 pm 

Bumpy wrote:
I use Apple TV. AVM-30 is a non-starter

That depends on the application.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:49 pm 

I have had the misfortune of having a couple HDMI boards fry on me.... in processors, fortunately everything else worked no problem... the techie told me that any sort of quick burst of current will fry them instantly, where other boards will not even flinch... I settled on a Anthem receiver strictly as a processor. only because of the Dolby Atmos.. cost being the huge factor, a stand alone processor with Dolby Atmos or DTS -X is huge coin. So far, no issues, just wish Krell or one of the big boys would put out a processor that didn't require a mortgage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:22 pm 

If this was a customers house and everything else looked good, I would definitely get that cable box out of there. That is the constant based on what I've read, so most logical source of issues. My aunt had like 3 replacement phones that all did the same thing - batteries fried quick as. Turns out that they weren't replacing her charger, just the phone, and they were getting fed up with helping her. Can replace the phone all y'all want but it ain't doing anything good.

HDMI is whack. Love/Hate and all that. Even as an installer, I hated the CEC connections and all that. It got very frustrating trying to get stuff to play nice... now they wanna go and change the standards again and such. Convenient as heck, but its the TV/VCR combo of the cable world - two things to fail and when one goes, its lots it charm and most purpose... unless you're frustrated enough to use it to strangle one of those warranty reps who helped ya so much :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 pm 

I'm on my 4th hdmi enabled receiver, 2 denon 2 pioneer, not one has failed. Gotta be something else going on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:27 am 

I had my brother exchange the Rogers STB for another, I also had him put on a couple new HDMI cables. No change, still no picture (incidentally there is no picture on Blu-Ray either).
He also found these things on Amazon. At $1.88 I can't imagine they're high tech but if they don't louse up the picture or audio why not?
One more question. I have an Onkyo Integra DTR 40.2 with a defective HDMI board. Should I just bite the bullet and get it repaired or look a buying nice little cheapo A/V receiver. The costs would likely be close.
Also, from what I've been able to research, there has been little to no progress from Onkyo or it's sister, Pioneer.
HDMI flaws are still rampant.

Attachment:
41RJGH29F-L._SX425_.jpg
41RJGH29F-L._SX425_.jpg [ 21.22 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]

They're supposed to be surge protectors.
Onkyo owns Pioneer.
Denon owns Marantz.
HMMM! So much for a plethora of choices.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:33 am 

So I got another Rogers box (4642 HD) and all was good for a few days now it is acting up. Audio drop outs, pixellation, screen freezes etc.
Rogers has no problem replacing the box, AGAIN.
I mentioned that I'd like the everything checked, ground, voltage, cable, etc.
Wonder of wonders, she (Rogers CSR) agreed.
It will take a few weeks but one more problem down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:48 am 
Premium User

This is most puzzling. I hope you find yourself back in video nirvana very soon. As an aside, I have owned two of your most hated AVR brands. My Onkyo lasted me trouble-free for 15 years and my Denon is on Year 3 with no issues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 am 

Tangram wrote:
This is most puzzling. I hope you find yourself back in video nirvana very soon. As an aside, I have owned two of your most hated AVR brands. My Onkyo lasted me trouble-free for 15 years and my Denon is on Year 3 with no issues.

For what ever reason, there seems to be a lot of defective STB. The CSR at the Rogers store said their is usually a line up of people returning defective/damaged STB especially after a storm. She unplugs hers if there is a storm warning or if she is going to be away for more than a weekend.
In five years she's had to replace her PVR twice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next