Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:14 am 

planetofsound wrote:

Agree with all your experience, however after 7 years we've never had a Marantz with HDMI failure, in general they are very reliable, 3 year warranty etc. As other posters have said, seems as though you have some kind of stray voltage on your HDMI cable. Are you in a lightning prone area? Is there a short in your cable line between ground and signal?

I am thinking along the same lines, I have gone through several HT Receivers in the last 30 years, pre and post HDMI, and none of them ever failed or had HDMI issues.
So something is definitely going on there.

Have you checked or discussed this issue with any of your neighbours to see if anyone else is having similar issues? :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:16 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Well Mathatma...
If you don't have fear of flying i would def pick it up.

... and if I had his luck with these things, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a replacement until I was sure that the problem was fixed.

I would get a $50 kijiji special and use it as a canary.

Well hes either got a ghost in the machine or his units have failed because they're crap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:19 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Well Mathatma...
If you don't have fear of flying i would def pick it up.

... and if I had his luck with these things, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a replacement until I was sure that the problem was fixed.

I would get a $50 kijiji special and use it as a canary.

Well hes either got a ghost in the machine or his units have failed because they're crap.

With as many different brands and samples that have failed, it is not the receivers that are faulty.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:23 am 

Maybe...
He should buy a decent unit AND fix the problem. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:27 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Maybe...
He should buy a decent unit AND fix the problem. :mrgreen:

No, he should fix the problem and use a canary through more than a few thunderstorms until he is confident that the problem is solved.

He either sacrifices fifty bucks, or he sticks the undamaged canary back on kijiji and gets his fifty bucks back.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:30 am 

Touchè...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:59 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
I have several amps. Holy Crap. The Anthem looks awesome but I don't have a pilots license.

I'd help you set it up, it's the same as mine. And there aren't any hdmi inputs to burn out.

-- 04 Aug 2017 13:02 --

Note that it does not support DTS-MA or Dolby Tru-HD. Analogue gain stage is awesome and Dac (at least in the 40) is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
No dumb questions. I appreciate the thought being put into this puzzle.
1. Cheap Amazon cables. Two of them Accel locking HDMI. Tried them on other HDMI inputs and they work.
2. Nothing above it. Wide open.
3. Everything plugged into a APC H10 also a Blue Circle Yalu Balula on the circuit.

Hmmm I will go out on a limb here and suggest a couple more things:

Buy some decent Belkin hdmi cables (or any name brand really ... well except Monster) and replace all the cheapies and bin em.
Honestly I don't think this is the problem at all ... but cant hurt.

Look into buying a AVR fan kit ... like AC Infinity AIRCOM or something (amazon.ca). The Aircom 6 (?) is only like $60 and has two big quiet fans in it.
If you run your receiver at a high volume and/or with difficult speakers it could be running very hot even with proper ventilation. Heat is apparently a big killer for HDMI boards ... esp Onkyo and Denon units. Yes the thermal protection should kick in if things get bad ... but ... again, can't hurt. Also perhaps pull your receiver away from the wall a little more. Give it more room from behind.

3. Maybe replace the APC H10 with a new high VA APC Smart-UPS. It might do a better job at keeping those voltage spikes at bay. Not sure about the H10, but a Smart UPS can tweek how sensitive the Over and Under volt triggers are.
One more thing ... If the H10 is an older or even a used unit ... maybe replace it outright. It might not be doing it's job anymore.

Anyhoo, I feel like I am really grasping at straws here ... but that's all I can think of.

I have had my Marantz 5003 behind a Tripplite LC1800 for years. Been through scary lightning storms, shitty apartment power, shitty suburban power and never had a HDMI board failure. :|

Best of luck mahatma1. Wish I could help you out. :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:06 am 

I can address two units. The Denon and the Onkyo.
The Onkyo had/has a horrible history of HDMI board failure. Just Google it. It was crap before I ever got my mitts on it.
The Denon. I bought the Denon because I had a unit before (non HDMI) that worked like a charm. I sold it to a friend a few years ago, he's still using it.
The Denon had solid reviews, every feature you could possibly want, lots of power and was recommended by my audio dealer.
The Denon was a stone cold pain in the posterior. Complicated beyond belief (it had two remotes and one even had a panel with more hidden controls). I didn't use a third of its capability but there were problems. It ran hot. If I watched a couple movies back to back it would shut down. It would refuse to work for a few hours.
Then I started experiencing audio and video drop outs. I took the unit back to my dealer and it was "fixed".
Well, not really. The same problems came back within a month. Back to the dealer. 'Fixed" again but the same problems re-occured. Back to the dealer.
I came back from a short vacation and my dealer informed me that Denon had washed their hands of it. Warranty be damned they weren't fixing it.
I had a $1,000 paper weight.
In an effort to make things right my dealer gave me the Onkyo Integra. A new unit. and we know how that turned out.
A couple of the other receivers were used, low mileage units , maybe the HDMI was failing on them before I got to it.
The Marantz was a brand new unit bought at Future Shop. I was likely the last customer in the store before it closed for good.
Eventually the HDMI board failed on the Marantz. I had trouble getting a warranty repair because I never got anything from Future Shop. Stupid me paid cash. Future Shop was to e-mail the receipts.
Marantz Canada eventually authorized the repair. Things worked well, until this morning...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:29 am 

Does your display have three HDMI inputs? You could bypass HDMI on your AVR entirely.

I've stuck with a non-HDMI Denon for years, all my devices' HDMI goes direct to the TV with separate connect to AVR for audio.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
It ran hot. If I watched a couple movies back to back it would shut down. It would refuse to work for a few hours.
Then I started experiencing audio and video drop outs. I took the unit back to my dealer and it was "fixed".
Well, not really. The same problems came back within a month. Back to the dealer. 'Fixed" again but the same problems re-occured. Back to the dealer.
I came back from a short vacation and my dealer informed me that Denon had washed their hands of it. Warranty be damned they weren't fixing it.

Sounds like your over heating your receivers and eventually cooking em. No wonder they keep dying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 am 

why not just buy a hdmi switcher, and just use the receiver for sound. a lot cheaper and should be done with hdmi problem.
I don t know why everybody want to use there receiver to pass video signal trought it. ???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am 

kolwrath wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
It ran hot. If I watched a couple movies back to back it would shut down. It would refuse to work for a few hours.

Sounds like your over heating your receivers and eventually cooking em. No wonder they keep dying.

Nope. I know better than that. Everyone insisted that A/V receivers run hot. The Denon was ridiculous. I gave it all the room in the world and in general I keep the house rather cool. The Denon was a POS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 am 

My Anthem MRX500 (85wpc, 100 in stereo) ran really hot, I even had the front three channels driven by a separate power amp and all bass crossed over to a subwoofer. It was only driving the 2 surrounds above 80Hz. It was like a space heater; I had it in a stand that was wide open on all 4 sides and the top. Even when idling, it was hot.

My Anthem 5-channel power amp (200wpc) barely gets warm, even after driving an intense surround track for a couple hours played at probably 85-90db, and that's driving some larger, lower impedance speakers.

I think they bias the amplifier circuits in the receivers to put out a lot of volume in order to spec them the way they do. Like revving a small engine to increase torque. Large power amps are designed to produce their power well within their limits, and so they hardly break a sweat.

-- 04 Aug 2017 13:53 --

I once owned a Harman Kardon AVR70. It was like $1500 back in the early 2000s. I had it in for service once for 8 months while they tried to fix the various issues it had. It can be frustrating when consumer elctronics fail.

-- 04 Aug 2017 13:54 --

zon001 wrote:
why not just buy a hdmi switcher, and just use the receiver for sound. a lot cheaper and should be done with hdmi problem.
I don t know why everybody want to use there receiver to pass video signal trought it. ???

Most TVs have multiple inputs ... why not use it as a video switch?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 am 

L-Man wrote:
My Anthem MRX500 (85wpc, 100 in stereo) ran really hot, I even had the front three channels driven by a separate power amp and all bass crossed over to a subwoofer. It was only driving the 2 surrounds above 80Hz. It was like a space heater; I had it in a stand that was wide open on all 4 sides and the top. Even when idling, it was hot.

My Anthem 5-channel power amp (200wpc) barely gets warm, even after driving an intense surround track for a couple hours played at probably 85-90db, and that's driving some larger, lower impedance speakers.

I think they bias the amplifier circuits in the receivers to put out a lot of volume in order to spec them the way they do. Like revving a small engine to increase torque. Large power amps are designed to produce their power well within their limits, and so they hardly break a sweat.

Agree. I have a Bryston 4BSST2 that barely breaks a sweat when used a lot. I realize it may be an apples to oranges comparison but there was no good reason for the Denon to run as hot as it did. Incidentally after one of the repair trips the Denon ran noticeably cooler. Still hot but not as bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next