All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: opinion on set up
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:01 am 

carstereoguy wrote:
what processor l-man

Anthem AVM 40.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:38 am 

quality cables make a difference ,I cannot understand why , a good cable would make a difference with rca (unbalance) but would not do any difference when it is xlr? many amplifier or pre amp,give youthe option of rca and xlr input, but when looking inside many connect both input in parallel going to the same circuit board.i even see many using only 1/4 inche jack stating made for balance and unbalance? I would not go overboard on prices.$150 a pair give you good value, more than that and difference is very subtile and don't reflecte price vs gain . you can spend 10 times more but it will not convert to 10 time better. .rca jack have many price differences, but notice that xlr connectors are pretty much around $10, I have not seen any expensive xlr connectors.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:55 am 

10 ft 8 channel snakes are about $100 or so.BRTB,Yorkville etc..
BRTB will make you a custom length if you want it shorter.

Gary

Also could use a AES/EBU digital snake.HOSA makes a 6 footer I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:24 am 

I'll echo OBI56, I use the XLR's from Long & McQuade, there's at least two brands there and I've got both..
I also have Blue Jeans Cable XLR's they're pricier, kind of "budget high end" but really well built.
All sound alike to my ears....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:14 am 
Premium User

rnrgagne wrote:
I'll echo OBI56, I use the XLR's from Long & McQuade, there's at least two brands there and I've got both..
I also have Blue Jeans Cable XLR's they're pricier, kind of "budget high end" but really well built.

Yes, Blue Jeans is also very good, only problem it is mail-order only and not something you can pick up locally. Monoprice is another good brand to look out for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:24 am 

rnrgagne wrote:

if you compare $30 to $60 cable , not surprised to hear no difference. first quality cable I bought where jps labs ultra conductor, entry level cables,i immidiatly heard a difference, compare to my $5 cable that comes free with every cheap electronic. immidiatly heard a difference. bass sound like a musiucal instrument insteed of a one note boomy bass, same and voices where more natural insteed of sounding bright and nosy.
if you are talking microphone cables that you plug into a 100 + foot snake, deffinatly not going to hear much difference. snake althought expensive use cheap multi conductors cable with very small wire.
but if using on a high end stereo that can let you hear subtile nuance of a good recording, deffenatly hear difference.
I also have $2000 nbs cable that defenatly sound better than the ultra conductors. but the $1800 difference don t justify the price differences.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 am 
Premium User

zon001 wrote:
rnrgagne wrote:

if you compare $30 to $60 cable , not surprised to hear no difference. first quality cable I bought where jps labs ultra conductor, entry level cables,i immidiatly heard a difference, compare to my $5 cable that comes free with every cheap electronic. immidiatly heard a difference. bass sound like a musiucal instrument insteed of a one note boomy bass, same and voices where more natural insteed of sounding bright and nosy.
if you are talking microphone cables that you plug into a 100 + foot snake, deffinatly not going to hear much difference. snake althought expensive use cheap multi conductors cable with very small wire.
but if using on a high end stereo that can let you hear subtile nuance of a good recording, deffenatly hear difference.
I also have $2000 nbs cable that defenatly sound better than the ultra conductors. but the $1800 difference don t justify the price differences.

Actually Zon, if you read back through the thread, he has a max budget of $420 (7X$60) for 7 X 2M cables for his HT system, but is looking for something less expensive. Not 100 foot long snakes, not $2000 cables, just 7 X 2M cables for less than $60 apiece. So, yes, not much sound difference between a $30 and a $60 one, or even for that matter, even with a pair of $200 Bis 3'ers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:47 am 

ultra conductors usually sell for about $70 used, so they are not off budget.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:32 pm 

zon001 wrote:

Well, we agree to disagree. I'm of the mind that the only reason $2000 cables exist is because someone will buy them & not because of their cost/benefit offering as your last statement illustrates.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:33 pm 

about a 100 dollars

no spaghetti

Gary

Attachments:
XLR802.jpg
XLR802.jpg [ 8.77 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:38 pm 
Premium User

rnrgagne wrote:
zon001 wrote:

Well, we agree to disagree. I'm of the mind that the only reason $2000 cables exist is because someone will buy them & not because of their cost/benefit offering as your last statement illustrates.

+1

I've got cables from $25 to thousands of dollars and I'm not sure it makes any difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:00 pm 

James_W wrote:
rnrgagne wrote:
zon001 wrote:

+1

I've got cables from $25 to thousands of dollars and I'm not sure it makes any difference.

+2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm 

actually those NBS monitor 4,retailed at $1700 US for 4 feet, only cost me $270 . it was a pair of 8 feet long xlr at one end and mini xlr at the other end . I split it to make 4 x 4 feet . now that is better than any new $60 cable
I did the same with a single 20 feet balance purist audio museus cable. paid $180 and did 6x 3 feet . those sell for $475 for 3 feet pair. again cheaper and better than $60 microphone cable.
the op can do the same. you look for a hard to sell, odd length like 20 feet of good quality cable, and you cut to your liking, with the connectors you prefer, and you end up with great cables at outrageous prices.
many people don t hear differences in cable , and many do. I am in the, I do camp.but with moderation.
I bought some Wilson speaker and needed to put fork at the speaker end. mi cables where locking banana plug . so for a few week I played them with a 18 inches long 16 gauge cable to be able to connect my banana plug to that small wire. I could not stand how bad the snare drum sounded like it was terrible sounded compressed and if it was in another room. two week later , I receive those fork to put to my audioquest cable, I could not believe the difference it did. and 2 of my stereo friend heard the difference too, it was very revealing. but like I said I don t believe in super expansive cable. I keep saying it is not because it is covered with real snakes skin that it will sound better. most of them are made of 99.99% pure copper.sometime silver coated. so what can those $10,000 cable can give you more 200% pure copper??? I believe big gauge cable help more then insulation or purety of metal used. the bigger the better.
a friend of mine is crazy about cable. he bought $3500 mit shotgun speaker cable almost 1.5 inches diameter to drive is $800 mirage rear speaker. I for sure would have go the opposite, would have spent $800 on the cables and $3500 on better speaker. he now drive Neat speaker.but I still feel those cable are overkill. my opinion. but he sware he see god everytime he upgrade is wires. I do believe in good cables but ounce you use big gauge wire , those extra multiple $1000 of dollard don't make much sense.i will rather put that money on the electronics itself.