Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Speaker CHOICE Help ??
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:09 am 

Hello all. I'm really new to these forums . I'm not very experienced in audio/video. Heck I hire people to hook up my stuff. I have marantz sr8001 7.1 channel integrated . Also Anthem 225 . 3x200watt for fronts. Have B&W cm 9's with cm 2 s2 for center. Heres my question what would you buy for rear surrounds. 683 s2 towers or cm6 s 2. Only plan on using 5.1 channel for now. Thanks for any and all input. FYI I have a rather large room 15 x 22. Its a townhouse and don't plan on any expenditures for acoustic treatments . Will be moving back home in 3 years have dedicated hT Room there !! I WANNA GO HOME !! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:20 pm 

My advice is don't spend much on surround speakers. The surround signal is limited in frequency and depending on decoding in dynamics as well. Get a cheap used 2 way bookshelf on high enough stands or mounted on wall/ ceiling and see how you like them. Used paradigm Titan comes to mind. Can be had for under 100. Make sure they had replaced surround. If you don't like them, go spend more.
Keep in mind for many people next step is to go back to 2 channels or 2.1 after the thrill of surround experience fades.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:28 pm 

Bandy wrote:
My advice is don't spend much on surround speakers. The surround signal is limited in frequency and depending on decoding in dynamics as well. Get a cheap used 2 way bookshelf on high enough stands or mounted on wall/ ceiling and see how you like them. Used paradigm Titan comes to mind. Can be had for under 100. Make sure they had replaced surround. If you don't like them, go spend more.
Keep in mind for many people next step is to go back to 2 channels or 2.1 after the thrill of surround experience fades.

+1

You will soon get sick of THE SAME sounds in the surround speakers....no matter what the movie:

the dog barking
the door slamming
the floor creaking
the rain falling
the phone ringing

ad nauseum.......................bah, humbug.

del Sol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:38 pm 

[quote="del Sol]
You will soon get sick of THE SAME sounds in the surround speakers....no matter what the movie:

the dog barking
the door slamming
the floor creaking
the rain falling
the phone ringing

ad nauseum.......................bah, humbug.

del Sol[/quote]

That's a good one. I have always been disappointed by the surround channel information for almost every movie. Thunder, gun shots, nothing really useful ... that being said I have a better pair of Reference ADPs in a 5.1 setup just to have a match acoustically and visually with the rest of my system.

There are some Disney sound tracks that will do a great job of panning music to the rears, though, which make the better rears worthwhile for the few minutes they do things right ...

P.S. Welcome to the forum, Kenny. My room is 15 x 21 so very close to yours in size.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:50 pm 

You guys all seem to be assuming he only watches movies and doesn't listen to 5.1 audio concert discs. If true than I agree with the above posts however if you listen to concerts I think you need quality surrounds. I'm sitting here listening to Leonard Cohen " Live in London " and the surrounds are an important part of the experience. There is all sorts of musical information coming from all five speakers so I'm glad my surrounds are a proper match for the fronts.