Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 pm 

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a receiver for my home theatre.
I would appreciate any advice on matching my present speakers and sub.
I currently have monitor audio silver fronts, centre, surrounds and a jl e112 sub.

I listen mostly at -30 to -25 levels. My set up is used about 95-99% home theatre.
My price range??? 1000-2000 or whatever would match the speakers and sub.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:14 pm 

Anthem! Great sound quality, ARC way better than Audyssey but most important it's very reliable.

For your budget skip the other best-buy brands. If you prefer that I'd say Marantz.

Avoid Onkyo.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:35 pm 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -reciever/

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 pm 

Having owned Monitor Audio RX6 towers and matching center and surrounds I say get an actual power amp, at the time I owned a Yamaha RXV-1065 receiver and added some Emotiva UPA-1 monos and then an XPA-5 and the difference in overall SQ was astounding, those are really great speakers and IMO putting a weak receiver on them will not let them come alive but if you are set on a receiver I also vote Anthem as they do have pre-outs and you can add a power amp down the road.

Of course this is my experience and others may differ but I was really happy with the results of having good power behind those speakers

Chad

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:01 am 

Deadlift;

There are lots of things to consider when making a decision to buy a receiver. Since you will be using it primarily "95-99% home theatre" I suggest you buy a used pre/pro with or without HDMI. An older processor without HDMI can be had on the cheap then add a high quality 5 channel amp and you won't be disappointed.

The best advice I could give you regarding your set-up would be to concentrate your time and resources to treating your room acoustically the best you can. You will receive large gains in sound quality if you do.

If you prefer to buy a receiver it really has become a crap shoot as manufactures seem to be producing poor quality, unreliable products these days. Based on CAM I would stay away from Onkyo for sure.

Good luck.

Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:17 am 
Premium User

Everyone says to avoid Onkyo, but the Denon HT receivers (their other products are just fine) can be just as bad or worse in terms of failure and the potential boat anchor when the HDMI boards fail.

Another thing to consider is that most mass-market HT receivers suffer from unrealistic, and some say outright fraudulent and misleading, power specs. Many mass market HT receivers will CLAIM 7x 140WPC, yet if you read the actual specs carefully that power is based on running only 1 channel out of 7 at a time at a 1KHz at 10% harmonic distortion and tests out at a true 25 to 30WPC in real life. A higher end HT receiver with supposedly identical specs will test out at a true 125 to 140WPC with ALL 7 channels running simultaneously at all audio frequencies at a vanishingly low THD.

Dedicated HT amps do not suffer as much from these exaggerated power output claims, so the suggestion of going with a good quality HT power amp or power ampS is a good idea if feeding lots of clean power to your speakers is essential.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:44 am 

+1 for Anthem.

This was my path in the last few years, to accommodate my limited budget:

1. Anthem receiver
2. Added Anthem 3 channel amp for front and center
3. Sold above and purchased an Anthem pre/pro and 5-channel power amp

If you are on a budget, this is quite feasible, as Anthem products hold their value fairly well. I purchased everything used on here, and each piece was of the previous generation, which was just fine with me, keeping the cost down but the performance up.

If you have a budget of $2500 then you could just cut directly to number 3, if separates are of interest to you. Otherwise, just stick with an Anthem receiver which already sounds excellent.

Right now the selection is sparse ... there are usually a number of MRX series receivers for sale on CAM ... just wait a bit, or put up a wanted ad once you have made your decision.

Of course, you may wish to buy new, which certainly has its advantages because of warranty. But you could buy 3 used receivers in good condition for the price of one new one; even if you get a bad unit you could still be ahead.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:24 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Any of the new receivers offer pretty incredible room/speaker tuning. We don't recommend putting any money into room treatments if your system is not top price because the improvement you'll get from buying better speakers will be much more noticeable. If you've already finished your system and have any money left over, then you can look at basic treatments. Forget about bass treatments too. The software is 10x more effective than any physical If you listen to any music, the Marantz receivers, specifically 6xxx series have a special natural sound that none of the other brands have.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:51 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Everyone says to avoid Onkyo, but the Denon HT receivers (their other products are just fine) can be just as bad or worse in terms of failure and the potential boat anchor when the HDMI boards fail.

Another thing to consider is that most mass-market HT receivers suffer from unrealistic, and some say outright fraudulent and misleading, power specs. Many mass market HT receivers will CLAIM 7x 140WPC, yet if you read the actual specs carefully that power is based on running only 1 channel out of 7 at a time at a 1KHz at 10% harmonic distortion and tests out at a true 25 to 30WPC in real life. A higher end HT receiver with supposedly identical specs will test out at a true 125 to 140WPC with ALL 7 channels running simultaneously at all audio frequencies at a vanishingly low THD.

Dedicated HT amps do not suffer as much from these exaggerated power output claims, so the suggestion of going with a good quality HT power amp or power ampS is a good idea if feeding lots of clean power to your speakers is essential.

Like what Alpine and others did with car head units- or that "100W" underdash equalizer/booster...

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:55 am 

I am a Yamaha guy, here is a Yamaha TOTL Aventage for you...as many features as you would ever need

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... tage-3050/

Any brand can have problems, I still say Onkyo would be my last pick

Yamaha, Denon, Anthem, Pioneer are all pretty good

Do your own research, but I believe Pioneer Elite had one of the highest if not the highest power rating for ACD All Channels Driven
with their ICE amps. Like someone else said a receiver might say 7 x 150 watts, but not ACD...usually only 2 channels.
The same 7x150 receiver with ACD might be only 7x50. I think I saw a test for the Pioneer Elite where the ACD was 7x80ish or 100ish
You could get something feature rich, with less power and get an external amp. You probably want to keep it one box though.

-- 26 May 2017 18:07 --

[/quote] Like what Alpine and others did with car head units- or that "100W" underdash equalizer/booster...[/quote]

If you want a one box amp solution for a car. I whole heartedly endorse the Alpine PDX series though
I wanted a one box amp for my car so I got the Alpine PDX V9 5 channel amp
The V9 specs say 4x100w and 500w sub. The birth sheet on mine said 4x138w and 587w...gobs and gobs of power
All for an amp about 8" x 10" x 2.5", the things runs cool, totally reliable.

But ya I remember head units that had other worldly bogus specs...you get what you pay for

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:55 am 

If you don't need this week's latest features and can route your video directly to your monitor,,,consider buying one of the older power house receivers like,
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... vsx-49txi/

(no connection to seller)
Remember you will NOT be able to decode DTS master or Dolby HD.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:04 pm 

Thanks for all the responses.

I have only owned Yamaha receivers, none of them Aventage series.
There is a comfort level that I have with Yamaha because they have all been reliable over the years.
I am leaning towards Yamaha 1060 or 2060 because of past history.

A few more questions:
How does a Yamaha 1060 or 2060 compare to an Anthem and a Marantz 6011 receiver?
Which would be better suited for my home theater?
If Anthem and Marantz are similar in quality, dependability and longevity to Yamaha?

Also I have no idea about setting up a pre/pro amp surround. Could someone please explain?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:58 pm 
Premium User

Deadlift wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

I have only owned Yamaha receivers, none of them Aventage series.
There is a comfort level that I have with Yamaha because they have all been reliable over the years.
I am leaning towards Yamaha 1060 or 2060 because of past history.

A few more questions:
How does a Yamaha 1060 or 2060 compare to an Anthem and a Marantz 6011 receiver?
Which would be better suited for my home theater?
If Anthem and Marantz are similar in quality, dependability and longevity to Yamaha?

Also I have no idea about setting up a pre/pro amp surround. Could someone please explain?

I'm just going to tackle your last question for now. Setting up a HT receiver and a HT Pre-Pro + power amp differs only in the number of cables you need to hook up. On the receiver those extra cable are all internal, so no need to hook anything up as it has already been done for you. In a pre-pro + power amp combination you must hook up 1 extra cable per channel (5, 7 or 11 depending on your number of speakers/amplification channels in use) between the 2 boxes. And find the room for that second box and supply it with adequate AC power.

That is basically it. Setting things up an calibrating either type of system should be very similar or even identical if you stay with the same brand but the pre-pro approach MAY offer you a few more possibilities.

What separates do offer you is much better power, flexibility and performance, but at a substantial price increase. To get the same real life amount of power and finesse in a HT receiver than with equivalently rated separates, you will also have to pay through the nose.

For example, to get the same actual measured real-life power/performance as a $2600 Anthem HT receiver, you have to move up to a $4k Marantz HT receiver. The equivalent $2600 or so Marantz, Onkyo or Denon HT receiver just does not have the guts to run 7 channels of amplification simultaneously, especially in the bass, than the $4k Marantz receiver or the $2600 Anthem HT receiver, despite almost identical ratings. To get the same sort of real life power/performance with Anthem or Marantz separates, you are looking at the $6k+ range, but instead of being at the highest possible performance echelon, you are just at the entry level and can only go up from there.

I cannot comment on the Yamahas as I have no first hand experience with the current HT products, only with the ones from 3 decades ago, but their 2 channel gear is superb. My only concern is that the Aventage 2060 (line the lower end Marantz, Denon and Onkyo HT receivers) is only rated at 140WPC with ONLY 2 channels driven at a time compared to the Anthem or big Marantz which are measured at 140WPC with ALL 7 channels driven at the same time. That means that its actual measured power with all channels running will be substantially less, on the order of 1/3 to 1/2 the power at best (just found some actual measurements; 100WPC with 5 channels driven, 54WPOc with 7 channels driven).