Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 pm 

For years I have been using an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid USB tuner stick to watch the output of my set top cable box. I rent a cable box just for this which is next tot he PC. The USB stick plugs into the PC and is then connected to the cable box via composite. The EyeTV comes with a desktop app to watch TV. I use the cable box remote to change channels. Well the EyeTV stick has died and I'm looking for a replacement. The EyeTV doesn't seem to be available in Canada and I'm wondering what options are out there. Basically, I want to watch TV and PVR content from my HD cable box on my PC. What products would allow me do do this? Slingbox, Roku? If I could get rid of my cable box dedicated to my PC/EyeTV and use one of the 4 others I have in the house, that would be an added benefit.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:34 pm 

Hi,
Please correct me if I made any wrong assumptions about your setup:

If you have a desktop PC you could upgrade your monitor to the one with HDMI connection (unless yours has it already) and use cable box audio out
to feed the small amp and speakers. This is not an option with laptop.
I understand that your existing setup was completely different, I am just trying to figure out how to get to the similar functionality.

HTH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:18 pm 

Slingbox user for several years. Very satisfied.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:20 pm 

mk127176 wrote:
Hi,
Please correct me if I made any wrong assumptions about your setup:

If you have a desktop PC you could upgrade your monitor to the one with HDMI connection (unless yours has it already) and use cable box audio out
to feed the small amp and speakers. This is not an option with laptop.
I understand that your existing setup was completely different, I am just trying to figure out how to get to the similar functionality.

HTH

Right now i have an iMac 27" (2011) which does not have an HDMI port. Neither do the latest iMac models. I might buy an HP Pavilion all-in-one that has does have an HDMI port and built-in speakers. My cable box has an HDMI. I can certainly connect the cable box to the new HP desktop via HDMI. This might work I suppose but what software on the desktop do you use to actually watch the cable box output? The EyeTV comes with its own TV viewing software that works with their specific USB tuner stick.

-- 30 Apr 2017 21:27 --

chuttt wrote:

I'm certainly leaning that way. The M2 looks like it might be all I need. But I'd need to connect to the Slingbox via WiFi. Is the quality good over WiFi? HD quality?

Tell me, if you're watching TV remotely using the Slingbox, can someone else use the cable box that it's connected to simultaneously? So if I connect the Slingbox to the cable box in my bedroom, can my wife watch whatever she wants on that TV/cable box while I'm accessing that cable box from another device via Slingbox? I'm guessing you can;t do that as the Slingbox takes control over the cable box. Not a showstopper. I'll just keep the cable box I currently use to connect the USP tuner stick.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am 

chuttt wrote:

I ended up buying the Slingbox M2. it works quite well. I was, however, shocked that the Slingbox player pushes ads to you. After spending $230 for this device, you have to put up with ads in your player and before you stream on mobile devices. Nowhere in any of their marketing do they mention ads. Really shameful! Good product otherwise.