Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pioneer LD-S2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:10 pm 

I have been given a LD-S2 laser Disc player. I am having some problems with it though. It turns on Connects to the TV but when I press play it will not play the Disc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer LD-S2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:42 pm 

Wow, I paid over $1000 cad. for mine. That is quite a gift if you can get it working. Mine worked well for a year and then the drawer didn't want to open. A gear inside must be broken or out of alignment. I have to use a small screw driver to convince it to open but it closes on it's own with no problem. I also have a Pioneer CLD-97 in another system as a back up (along with a cld-704 in storage). I also have about 350 laser discs, mostly classical concerts, some rock concerts and a few movies. I am finding them harder to find lately up here in the frozen north so I am glad I grabbed them when I had the chance.

I have found that mine does not play every kind of laser disc. A few it does not recognize but for the life of me I can't remember which ones. I am going to have check a few out and get back to you on which ones. Perhaps that is all that is wrong with your player. Which discs have you tried?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 am 

Goodwill Store near where I live had Laser Discs for sale in the records section.
Some were still unopened.
$3 each.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:26 am 

Sure, rub it in. :D The nearest Good Will stores to me are 200 km away and whenever I drop in, they don't have any laser discs. I have bought all of mine here on CAM as people sell their collections. I am more into concerts than movies.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:29 am 

Hi guys
Wow,the Pioneer LD-S2 was the top of the line machine.I wanted it so bad but I couldn't afford it when it was current product. I too have a Pioneer Elite CLD-92.I bought it brand new from Bay Bloor Radio in 1990 I think it was.
I still have it and it's mint but of course I don't use it anymore,it is just a show piece on the rack. I also have about 40-50 laser discs mostly movies.
George

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 pm 

If the electronics are okay it may be suffering from a dirty lens. The best way I've heard of cleaning is a cotton swab and some lens cleaner. Either for a camera or eyeglasses, some LD lens have coatings that can be removed by alcohol. And one doesn't want to use a dry cleaning disc even if there are some out there.

Haven't opened mine up in some time but some lasers move on tracks as they scan the disc and these can be lubricated. The original lube is now pretty old and might be stiff so a clean up there can help. White grease can often be used as a replacment lube.

Lube might be the cause of the drawer issue too but again it's been sometime since I've removed the lid on my Laserdisc.

As mentioned some discs can be difficult to read but it sounds like you have a selection.

Hope that helps.

Frank
Pioneer CLD-52
BHD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:27 pm 

Albert, maybe make a deal with Natelie to pick some up for $3 and mail to you... With a little bonus for time etc.