Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:24 pm 

I have a tiny (9.5 x 11 ft x 8ft ceiling) room with a television and a very rudimentary entry-level Athena 5.1 HT system. A recent receiver upgrade as well as the center speaker giving up the ghost, have me looking for better sounding speakers. This will be a low-budget project, hopefully under $500-$700, excluding the sub.

My principal questions before scrounging through CAM are
1. Will dipole/bipole surround speakers work within the space constraints I have, specifically since I am sitting in a couch up against the shorter wall?
2. Treating the room is not possible so what bass / room mode problems should I expect in such a small space? Will it help or hinder a subwoofer?

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 am 

Dipole surrounds are the way to go in your situation. Mine is similar in size and have tried several different speakers and ended up with dipoles, which worked best. While it is best to have the speakers all of the same brand and model, I have found that the surround speakers matter less than the fronts. Used dipoles from Paradigm or NHT might be options for you. Your front three speakers should be from the same brand in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 pm 

Thanks Vinyl,

I have been eyeing the ADP models from Paradigm. Dipoles from PSB seem rare but I am considering both brands. There also seems to be about 5-10 Paradigm center speakers for every used PSB center.
I will definitely get the center and L+R of the same brand.

Do you think that such as small room precludes the use of towers up front? Slim towers would use the same floor space at bookshelves on stands.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:37 pm 

In terms of the fronts...bookshelf speakers are generally better for the price point. HOWEVER, if you mainly use them for HT, then get the towers. In the used market, prices are all over the place. Look on Kijiji, people who are getting out of HT and going whole house sometimes sell speakers at really good prices. That said, Kijiji is an experience :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:24 pm 

I found a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 v6 for $400. I fear, however that given that as I can only place them 1ft from the front wall/corner that they will sound too boomy, particulatly in such a small room.

Am I right?
Thx!

Last edited by jazzbert on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:13 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I do not know of anything within your budget but dipole speakers work well in any space. Of course the more air around them, the better but that goes for most speakers.

I strongly suggest you do not listen right up against the back wall as there is where most bass nodes reside.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:52 pm 

There are a variety of placement suggests, if you look online. A little exploration of the official DTS website will give you a number of suggestions on speaker setup. Think about it for a while, plan, try a couple of different positions if you can and use a sound pressure meter to set levels. I place the dipole above ear level, say 18 to 24 inches from the ceiling for a 7 to 8 foot ceiling. and AHEAD of where you will be sitting, since you will be sitting against the wall. I tweak from the level suggested by the meter. For example, I usually run the centre a couple of dB above the right and left. The rears I run 1 dB less. Again what you will like will depend on the room. A sound level/ pressure meter is a must if your receiver does not use a microphone to set levels.

Last edited by Vinyl Guy on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:19 pm 

You could consider old Radio Shack Optimus LX5 speakers that had dipole ribbon tweeters. I used those in a 2.1 setup in a small bedroom and they worked well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 am 

While I understand why you are suggesting the Radio Shack Optimus LX5 speakers, I don't see them come up much anymore. Plus, I owned them once and got rid of them in short order because they are very limited in my view. If you have a really inexpensive system and just want some sound from the rears, fine. However, in the OP's room, I don't think they would work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:09 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
While I understand why you are suggesting the Radio Shack Optimus LX5 speakers, I don't see them come up much anymore. Plus, I owned them once and got rid of them in short order because they are very limited in my view. If you have a really inexpensive system and just want some sound from the rears, fine. However, in the OP's room, I don't think they would work.

I thought they might fit the budget but I agree there are better speakers to be had.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:14 pm 

I was looking at something like this for the back:

Paradigm Monitor ADP-190 v6 surrounds
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -speakers/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:02 am 

I have an on wall HT setup in the basement using those rear speakers. Excellent.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:01 am 

In a small space lose the centre (run phantom) and try for two subs one front one back. When correctly set up (all surround processors have this capacity) you wont miss the centre.

All small rooms have modal issues.This will minimise room bass problems and even out the peaks and valleys.

Put the dipoles high or low not in between and at least 15" from back wall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:09 am 

operafan wrote:
Vinyl Guy wrote:

I thought they might fit the budget but I agree there are better speakers to be had.

I know they don't come up very often but the Optimus LX550 speakers, being much better than the LX5s, would work really well in the OP's room in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:29 am 

If I were you ...

I'd use Paradigm Mini monitors (or perhaps even better, the stand mount monitor 5) for fronts and a matching Paradigm center, and small Paradigm dipoles for rears (Performance or Monitor series depending on budget), placed in the corners, at 45 degrees, so that the sound reflects from both walls.

Although, front ported speakers may be better ... at least one of the versions of the Monitor 5 is a front ported tower.

I would use a small Paradigm sub (8-10 inch), larger than this and your room will be overloaded, and I wold stay away from the corners of the room. Too much bass in that room will be uncomfortable.

I would also seriously think about acoustic panels on the walls. to tame reflections.

My 2 cents.

P.S. In a room that size you could probably forgo the center channel, but use small towers for fronts. The dipoles you linked to look decent, though I bought the Monitor series for that money).